C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fuel Gauge Problems

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2002, 05:33 PM
LemonESQ
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fuel Gauge Problems

Hey all: Other C5 owners have asked me to help get Chevy to correct the fuel gauge problem once and for all. It can be done, with the best shot being a class action. I'd be glad to look into it if people are interested. To start, I am going to need a current C5 owner to be lead plaintiff. Such a person should have had at least two repair attempts under warranty performed by a Chevrolet authorized dealership. It would be best to have such person be from New Jersey or Pennsylvania, but any state should do. The problem must still occur now. Such persons can contact me by email through CorvetteForum.com (LemonESQ@aol.com) or at CKimmel@lemonlaw.com.

As I am involved in the Audi and Mercedes Benz fuel gauge class actions, I am confident the powers that be at GM will hear us, respond favorably, and quickly. You can view our website at Lemonlaw.com to learn about the firm first if desired. Just here to help.

Old 09-14-2002, 10:20 AM
redriverjohn
Pro

Default Re: Fuel Gauge Problems (LemonESQ)

Woul it be practical to pursue the electrtonic steering column lock issue along the same line you suggest for the fuel guage problem?

[Modified by redriverjohn, 8:21 AM 9/14/2002]
Old 09-14-2002, 10:33 AM
needhlp
Drifting

I;m on my second fuel guage repair......they ordered the part, so I'm going to get it fixed soon again.
Old 09-18-2002, 09:41 AM
LemonESQ
Heel & Toe

Default Re: Fuel Gauge Problems (redriverjohn)

The steering lock problem is one which Chevrolet has at least said they are addressing, but the fuel gauge concern is more perplexing. As indicated in my other posting, these senders are going bad on a number of manufacturer's vehicles, not just GM and correcting the condition has proven to be difficult if not uneven in application to individual cars. I'll be glad to look into anything though, if people are interested. In my experience, GM is very proactive in addressing such concerns if there is pressure to do so, but may be slower to act if there is not.
Old 09-20-2002, 04:14 PM
wendyblueZ06
7th Gear

yes, I am interested in doing this, I have a 02Z06 I have had both the right and left fuel sending units replaced and it's still not fixed, its going back on monday, it's under warranty, they think it might be the gas I'm using or the computer, this is making me crazy! I'm so sick of taking it back! I dont want any body to touch my car!

PLEASE HELP!
Old 09-20-2002, 06:25 PM
JCR
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Re: Fuel Gauge Problems (wendyblueZ06)

This is a good opportunity to get this issue resolved. We need to jump on it. Someone that fits the description needs to step up to the plate. Its only a win win situation ..
Old 09-25-2002, 03:06 PM
Orbit
Advanced

My problem started August 4th while on a 120 mile road trip the fuel guage was below 1/2 tank when all of a sudden it dropped to empty and all the bells and whistles started. Couldn't reset anything. Stopped at the first gas station and filled it up. It took nearly 10 minutes for it to finally start reading full. Didn't notice any problems until last week when it again got below 1/2 tank and again dropped to empty. I stopped and filled it up and it went right to full. The next few times I was driving,the gauge would not come off full, then when it did it went to about 3/4 tank. I stopped, shut off the car and restarted it and the fuel gauge read full again. Took in to the dealer Tuesday and they replaced the R/H fuel tank, both L/H and R/H sending units and a strainer kit? Cost to GM since it is still under warranty was $466.00. Drove it around town today to watch how it acts and it seems to be ok. I will watch it and let you know how it turns out. If it goes out, it needs to do it before April of 2003 when the warranty expires.
:)
Old 09-25-2002, 03:57 PM
wendyblueZ06
7th Gear

Default Re: Fuel Gauge Problems (Orbit)

thanks for your response, that is EXACTLY what mine was doing to a tee, i just got it back yesterday, they replaced the right and left sending unit and now that didn't work, so this last time they did something on the computer and they found out it was a part in the left sending unit, who knows? the manager at the service dept guaranteed its fixed this time or he will replace my car, that was after i called GM and wrote a 2 page letter about my expirence with the service dept, i dont want a new car, my car is new, i just want my car to be fixed, i love it more than life! I will keep you informed.
Old 10-08-2002, 11:23 PM
GRTaylor
Instructor

Cruise-In III Veteran

Default Re: Fuel Gauge Problems (Orbit)

I have a 99. I was returning home yesterday from a 600 mile trip. The fuel gauge was a little over 1/4 when it dropped to zero. I stopped and filled it up and the gauge went to full again. When I was about 100 miles from home and the gauge was a little over 1/4 again it dropped to zero again. I knew I had enough fuel left to get home so I kept driving. After going about another 50 miles the gauge started reading again. It was a little below 1/4 tank when it started reading again. I haven't filled it up again yet but I think it will probably show full again. The warranty on mine ran out in July and it only has 16K on it. I think I can live with the problem until we find out if the General is going to do anything about it.
Old 10-09-2002, 12:17 AM
ROD BROWN
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I am taking mine in on Fri.to have the gas gauges replaced again.I ran out of fuel on the freeway in the no. 1 lane in traffic.This is ridiculous. Can't GM fix a simple item like a fuel gauge.I am beggining to think my Vette is jinxed.Just when everything is begining to work correcectly,up jumps the gremlins.I am thinking real hard about dumping this piece of crap and going back to a new Maxima.I never had a bit of trouble with any rice burner Iv'e owned. :chevy :chevy :flag :flag :chevy :chevy
Old 10-09-2002, 01:12 AM
FunDriver
Le Mans Master

Received 144 Likes on 93 Posts

... i just want my car to be fixed, i love it more than life! I will keep you informed.
Yeah, I know how you feel. I've had my transmission fixed twice, the fuel gauge twice, and the rearend fixed twice. It gets frustrating when I've had it in the shop about a dozen times in 32K miles and my Lexus in only once in 105K miles...but when it runs well, you couldn't pull me out of it with a team of mules.

By the way, so far all of the above are working ok now. Good luck on getting it fixed.
Old 10-09-2002, 02:00 AM
jimman
Le Mans Master

Received 47 Likes on 30 Posts

Default Re: Fuel Gauge Problems (FunDriver)

5 times with me, 3 with the 00 and just had it replaced on the 02 and it's doing it again. That makes 5, so sign me up. :mad
Old 10-11-2002, 12:23 AM
kloller
Advanced

We just had our second repair for the fuel guage. Im in if this class action goes forward.
Old 10-11-2002, 11:23 AM
tabbruzz
Safety Car

Received 292 Likes on 217 Posts

I replaced both senders and still have the problem. I will not invest any more money nor time on this. Shut your car off then on and the gauge will read correctly again. I believe it's simply a design flaw and no parts exchange will fix it.
Old 10-11-2002, 11:58 AM
wendyblueZ06
7th Gear

Default Re: Fuel Gauge Problems (tabbruzz)

I think i was the one that started this topic 2 months ago with my fuel gauge problem. I took mine in 3 times (it was very painfull) and I think it's finally fixed, they did replace the right and left sending unit and the when I broght it back the 3rd time I called GM and had the manager calling all his experts on the problem, they had engineers on the phone and finally fiqured it out, it's a part in the sending unit, they explained it to me but I did not really understand all of it. I will be glad to give you my service manager's name...Chuck Jones at Chevy @ the aveunes 904-260-7777, he's the only one I deal with now and i know he really went that extra mile to get my car fixed and he promised me a new Z06 if it breaks again, I think he knew I would never give up! Good Luck!
Old 10-11-2002, 12:08 PM
tabbruzz
Safety Car

Received 292 Likes on 217 Posts

Thanks Wendyblue.....Maybe I'll give it one more shot if GM picks up the tab.....
Old 10-14-2002, 09:43 PM
kloller
Advanced

Default Re: Fuel Gauge Problems (tabbruzz)

After second repair, fuel gauge failed again coming home from Austin,TX., less than 400 miles. Looks like it takes three trys to get anything fixed on this car. I have sent e-mails to GM and the dealer. I saw another post where the fuel gauge sending units have been recalled by the manufacturer. They better get it right this time................ Texas has a Lemon law and I may not quite qualify for it just yet, but I think I have enough documentation on several other failures where it is really beginning to smell.

Love the car but it has to be more reliable than this.

Get notified of new replies

To Fuel Gauge Problems

Quick Reply: Fuel Gauge Problems