C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2004 Auto Shift issue

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2016, 01:54 PM
Christee
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 2004 Auto Shift issue

Shift into reverse to back out of the driveway the other day and it wouldn't lock in. I had to hold it in place. Backed out and put it in Drive with no problems. I get to the store and put the car in park. Go to leave and the car won't start. I move the shifter down then push it up into park and the car starts and I go home.

Few days later I want to check out the problem but the battery is dead. It's an AC delco exactly two years old and under warranty. I get the battery replaced and everything works fine.

I drove it to work yesterday with no problems. Battery is good. Locks into reverse, drive, park. But when I leave work it does the same thing and won't start. I mess with the shifter and push up into park and it starts but it will not lock into drive. It easily slips into Neutral. I go into a parking lot and put it in park and the car starts rolling back.

Is this the shifter cable? If not, what could it be?
Old 08-19-2016, 01:34 PM
Christee
Instructor

100 views and no one has an idea?
Old 08-19-2016, 08:00 PM
MAC5
Drifting

Received 230 Likes on 148 Posts

Lift the rear end of the car and support with jackstands, or ramps will do. Look on the drivers side of the transmission at the shifter cable. Check to see that the clip that holds the end of the cable to the transmission gear lever is pushed in and the cable is not loose. If it is tight/secure then the problem could be up at the base of the shift lever in the console. Search the forum, there are several threads describing the "how to fix" repair process. Below are pictures of the rear shifter cable connection.
Attached Images   
The following users liked this post:
Christee (08-19-2016)
Old 09-18-2016, 09:48 PM
Christee
Instructor

Originally Posted by MAC5
Lift the rear end of the car and support with jackstands, or ramps will do. Look on the drivers side of the transmission at the shifter cable. Check to see that the clip that holds the end of the cable to the transmission gear lever is pushed in and the cable is not loose. If it is tight/secure then the problem could be up at the base of the shift lever in the console. Search the forum, there are several threads describing the "how to fix" repair process. Below are pictures of the rear shifter cable connection.
Thanks for the pics. Finally had a chance to do this and it wasn't loose. Took the console off it appears to be the gear selector? Here's a video where it shows how it locks in reverse and neutral only.

Get notified of new replies

To 2004 Auto Shift issue

Quick Reply: 2004 Auto Shift issue