C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How often should the Transmission and rearend fluids be changed

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2002, 11:21 AM
Snake Slayer
Melting Slicks

Received 513 Likes on 193 Posts
Cruise-In III Veteran
Cruise-In IV Veteran
Cruise-In V Veteran

Default How often should the Transmission and rearend fluids be changed

My 02 A4 coupe currently has 13,000 miles.

TIA :flag
Old 09-11-2002, 12:05 PM
redriverjohn
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: How often should the Transmission and rearend fluids be changed (Snake Slayer)

The service schedule in the owner's manual state 50,000 miles (severe service) or 100,000 miles (normal service) for the transmission (A4). The manual transmission requires no fluid or lubricant change. Changing the gear lubricant in the rear axle differential is neither recommended or required.
Old 09-11-2002, 12:50 PM
Snake Slayer
Melting Slicks

Received 513 Likes on 193 Posts
Cruise-In III Veteran
Cruise-In IV Veteran
Cruise-In V Veteran

Default Re: How often should the Transmission and rearend fluids be changed (redriverjohn)

Thanks
Old 09-11-2002, 01:25 PM
gonbad
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Re: How often should the Transmission and rearend fluids be changed (redriverjohn)

The service schedule in the owner's manual state 50,000 miles (severe service) or 100,000 miles (normal service) for the transmission (A4). The manual transmission requires no fluid or lubricant change. Changing the gear lubricant in the rear axle differential is neither recommended or required.
That may be thier opinion but I would never run the automatic, manual transmission or the differential without regular changes. Secondly there are much higher quality lubricants avialable over the factory fills.

I would change the fluids every 35,000 if you race or drive the car very hard where you can see high transmission and differential temps. If you are the average Joe and your car sees limited heavy use then I would change every 50,000+ miles.

I changed mine at 50,000 miles and the ATF coming out of the MN6 did not look good (there was only 30,000 miles on this tranny - long story). I changed the diff at the same time and the fluid had a brown cast to it. I should have had them analyzed. Anyways I changed both over to Redline products and the tranny immediately was easier to shift. In fact they are both due for a change again.
Old 09-11-2002, 02:02 PM
VetteDrmr
Le Mans Master

Received 1,395 Likes on 748 Posts

Default Re: How often should the Transmission and rearend fluids be changed (Snake Slayer)

Interesting that the limited slip diff. doesn't require maintenance, according to GM. GM also states (or should I say, "stated", since they don't build F-bodies anymore :( ) that the LSD in my '94 Z-28 required a fluid change at 750 miles to clean out all the break-in metal particles. You might also check out Hib Halverson's article at http://www.idavette.net/hib/C5diy/c5diy2.htm

Hope this helps,
Mike

Old 09-11-2002, 06:18 PM
carpe dm
Le Mans Master

Received 36 Likes on 35 Posts

I'm with gonbad. These fluids are not expensive (even the Amsoil stuff I use), so a change is good insurance. Especially in the A4. Hey, your car deserves a treat...... :D
Old 09-11-2002, 06:21 PM
Steve02C5
Safety Car

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've always changed mine every 25-30K miles and never had one go out on me. My Turbo Trans Am (12.57 e.t. in street trim) had 165K miles when I sold it, and the tranny and rear end were still running strong.
Old 09-11-2002, 07:16 PM
YO-EL
Race Director

Received 868 Likes on 433 Posts

Default Re: How often should the Transmission and rearend fluids be changed (Steve02C5)

I'd change em out every 2-3 yrs no matter what.
Old 09-11-2002, 07:30 PM
Oldvetter
Le Mans Master

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

Default Re: How often should the Transmission and rearend fluids be changed (indypace78)

I changed my 6 speed trans to Mobil 1 synthetic, an upgrade over stock. I doubt if I will ever change it again. I don't think a manual trans is very demanding on oil.

I have not changed my differential fluid for 2 reasons. 1-It uses synthetic from factory. 2-I've heard cases where even refilling with synthetic and friction additive still makes noises and you have to revert to regular gear oil and additive to stop positraction clutches from making noise.
Old 09-11-2002, 11:32 PM
0vetteshop
Former Vendor

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13

I like to see 30k on the trans fluid and filter change.I consistantly see particles in the bottom of the pan at that mileage...

I like to see 25-30k on the rear diff fluid change at most.The fluid gets nasty after that and the residue buildup in the fluid is what contributes to the posi clutch plate noise :yesnod:

Get notified of new replies

To How often should the Transmission and rearend fluids be changed

Quick Reply: How often should the Transmission and rearend fluids be changed