C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

03 Z06 Engine Problem

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2016, 09:28 AM
billla
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 59 Likes on 42 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14

Default 03 Z06 Engine Problem

Last night on my way home, my '03 Z started chugging and ticking from what seemed to be the right engine bank. I managed to keep it running above about 2K RPM to get it the 3 blocks home - admittedly a deci$ion I may regret.

Just going out this morning to pull codes and start looking it over, and I'll chronicle what happens.

Since troubleshooting over the Internet is such a common pastime, anyone wanna offer up a guess?
Old 07-06-2016, 10:21 AM
K-Spaz
Team Owner

Location: Central PA. - - My AR15 identifies as a muzzleloader
Received 522 Likes on 387 Posts
I believe in the Beer Fairy

Originally Posted by 8VETTE7
My guess is one or more broken valve springs on the right bank.

I would not start the car again to find out...
Old 07-06-2016, 10:24 AM
billla
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '14

My guess is one or more broken valve springs on the right bank.
That was my take as well - I'm pulling the valve covers this AM.

Definitely agree that starting it this AM would be a Bad Thing

I bought replacement springs and tools last year but I didn't get to it...lesson learned

I hope it's "that simple"...
Old 07-06-2016, 04:03 PM
billla
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '14

Aaaaah yes. The wonders of procrastination!!!!!

Hope no further damage was done by driving that last 3 blocks......
Kicking myself pretty hard for sure - I had the time, all the tools and the parts...and didn't get it done. Tomorrow, I said...

Here's the culprit; I guess I won't know if the guide is messed up until I get the spring out - is there a risk that I had valve/piston contact? It didn't sound like it and the retainer is still there, but...

Old 07-06-2016, 04:24 PM
Black 03 Z06
Le Mans Master

Received 540 Likes on 390 Posts

Sorry for your problems. Procrastination. A nasty word in this case.

Hope no other damage was done. Luck may be on your side.

Last edited by Black 03 Z06; 07-06-2016 at 09:29 PM.
Old 07-06-2016, 08:48 PM
midnight01
Pro

Received 51 Likes on 44 Posts

I think the only way to know if there was piston contact with the valve and any resulting consequences is to pull the head.

Looks like I clicked the wrong smilie on the previous post.... Was suppose to be the

Fat fingers at work again...
I would also worry about the valve guide too, broken spring would cause the valve to flop around too. when you get the spring off check the valve guide.
Old 07-06-2016, 09:51 PM
billla
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '14

I've borrowed a borescope to have a look; far easier than pulling the head and hopefully I can see if there are any issues. If not, I'll be pulling it.
Old 07-06-2016, 11:20 PM
K-Spaz
Team Owner

Sometimes even with a borescope it's not easy to see. For the most part, broken valve springs at low rpm are not usually destructive. Now if one breaks when you're crankin on the car, yea, odds are it'll destroy everything. But at low rpm, I would expect most times to get away with it. You running the motor back up to 2K wasn't wise, but if you didn't hear something that sounded catastrophic, I think you probably dodged a bullet here.

If it were me, the heads would be coming off anyway, even if just to do the valve spring install. But that does not mean it's necessary. For me it would buy a little peace of mind.
Old 07-07-2016, 12:12 AM
billla
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '14

Originally Posted by K-Spaz
If it were me, the heads would be coming off anyway, even if just to do the valve spring install. But that does not mean it's necessary. For me it would buy a little peace of mind.
The spring install looks pretty simple; I have the CompCams tool and an air fitting to hold the valves...so "famous last words" that should work pretty well.

There's two concerns I have - did the valve get side-loaded and damage the guides, and was there valve-to-piston contact.

The guide should be easy to tell - there should be no lateral clearance.

I should easily be able to see any markings on the head of the piston - if it's clear, I feel comfortable moving forward.

I'm not opposed to pulling the heads and once I get to bare heads I may just do so...but I'm not making any decisions until I get my hands further in there. Tomorrow
Old 07-07-2016, 07:11 AM
CaseyJones
Melting Slicks

Received 33 Likes on 32 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15-'16

I went through this a few months ago. Broke a spring which allowed the piston to break the head off an intake valve and ruin the cylinder head in the process. The valve head actually was jammed back up in the valve seat sideways. Nicked up the piston a little but nothing bad enough to warrant a replacement. I was lucky.

Procrastination sucks. I think I start doing better tomorrow.
Old 07-07-2016, 04:23 PM
SSTG
Le Mans Master

Received 207 Likes on 137 Posts

Originally Posted by billla
The spring install looks pretty simple; I have the CompCams tool and an air fitting to hold the valves...so "famous last words" that should work pretty well.

There's two concerns I have - did the valve get side-loaded and damage the guides, and was there valve-to-piston contact.

I should easily be able to see any markings on the head of the piston - if it's clear, I feel comfortable moving forward.

I'm not opposed to pulling the heads and once I get to bare heads I may just do so...but I'm not making any decisions until I get my hands further in there. Tomorrow
Sorry to hear about the Springs.
I am going to replace mine to be safe. Could you please tell me the Part numbers for the tools needed to do the job?
Also, are you using the PAC or GM springs?

Thanks!
Old 07-07-2016, 06:40 PM
K-Spaz
Team Owner

Originally Posted by billla

I don't have the press/scale to check the springs for the install so I generally take them to the local engine shop and let them set up the springs. I like them shimmed so the pressure is equal. Not to say that's necessary, but they do it so cheap it ain't worth my time. For that, the heads come off. I also don't have the installed height gauges though I could probably make one easy enough. I just don't want to. Some stuff I simply have no desire to mess with. This is one of those things.

If you're not gonna spin the motor real hard all the time, I don't suppose the springs need a lot of setup. Keep all the shims where they are and stick the new ones in.
Old 07-11-2016, 06:37 PM
billla
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '14

Had to take a few days off, but I'm hard at it today.

Doing the CompCams LS trunnion bearing upgrade "while I'm in there" since I had the kit. The Summit tool for this makes it a snap - I finished all of them in about 30 minutes with no issues. About half of the stock bearings fell apart when pressed out; form your own judgement on whether this was due to the pressing process or...not.

The engine is stock and will stay stock so I can't see the benefit of spending a ton of time on installed height and/or spring pressure. I do have the "meh" spring tester from Summit and they were all within spec - good enough, I think. Different deal on a GEN I or something built or making more power.

Ordered the FEL PRO head gasket set today along with their head bolts; thought about ARP bolts but again - seemed like overkill for $200 more.

Originally Posted by SSTG
Could you please tell me the Part numbers for the tools needed to do the job?

Also, are you using the PAC or GM springs?
The only special tools needed to my knowledge are the valve seal tool (Kent-Moore J-42078) which I bought from eBay for like $10, and an angle torque fitting for the head bolts that was $15 at NAPA.

I'm using the replacement stock ("blue") springs.

Last edited by billla; 07-12-2016 at 01:18 AM.
Old 07-12-2016, 01:01 AM
billla
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '14

Intake is off (for the oil pressure sensor "while I'm in there"), all the plugs are out. The plugs look good, if old - no indication of anything on the plug from the affected cylinder.

Good God, why are these plug wires so *_%*_@*)(#@ hard to get off??? Then there's that last intake bolt....!

Zero sideplay on the affected valve and action is smooth; I'm comfortable that at least the valve guide isn't damaged though it doesn't really say anything about piston contact.

Decision point now on removing the heads; I'll have the gasket kit on Thursday. It's a really tough call - it adds at least a day to the job, but I sure don't want to do this all over again right after starting it. Also, I've had some overheating issues...so maybe that's worth going through.

Question: Anything else that I should be considering "while I'm in there?"

Also curious about the valvetrain - I carefully kept everything in order, but other than the pushrods, this wouldn't seem to be required. The rockers are identical and non-adjustable, and the pedestal mount doesn't appear to be precision-ground or have any shims. The pushrods I could see as that would be the way to adjust preload...but wouldn't they have some type of identifying mark on them? How would they measure the preload during assy?

Thanks!

Last edited by billla; 07-12-2016 at 01:19 AM.
Old 07-12-2016, 01:37 AM
neutron82
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,261 Likes on 1,056 Posts
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (performance mods)
C5 of Year Winner (performance mods) 2019

you might want to reconsider those comp trunnions, this is what mine looked like after ~10k miles

I replaced them last week with a kit from a company called straub that uses bushings instead of needle bearings... if you decide not to pull the heads I would do a leak down/compression test on at least the cylinder with the broken spring to make sure the valve is seating properly

Last edited by neutron82; 07-12-2016 at 01:40 AM.
Old 07-12-2016, 01:50 AM
billla
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '14

What did Comp have to say about that failure? The wear pattern is odd; on some it looks like the bearing was skewed...who did the upgrade and how?

I haven't heard any other reported issues...searching I found a few anecdotal c-clip failures...but those could have been install issues.

Last edited by billla; 07-12-2016 at 02:04 AM.
Old 07-12-2016, 02:11 AM
neutron82
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

I talked to comp and sent them pics but have not heard back from them yet... I installed them myself when I did the cam... I had never heard about these failures either until another member mentioned it to me and posted this link, http://ls1tech.com/forums/generation...nion-kits.html ... read through that thread, apparently it isn't uncommon for this to happen

Last edited by neutron82; 07-12-2016 at 02:12 AM.

Get notified of new replies

To 03 Z06 Engine Problem

Old 07-12-2016, 02:34 AM
billla
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '14

Originally Posted by neutron82
I talked to comp and sent them pics but have not heard back from them yet... I installed them myself when I did the cam... I had never heard about these failures either until another member mentioned it to me and posted this link, http://ls1tech.com/forums/generation...nion-kits.html ... read through that thread, apparently it isn't uncommon for this to happen
Honestly, there's more hype there than anything on that thread...and all of the engines are highly modified. Not disputing that it happened, but I am wondering about the context. One guy was running springs that were 195#/400#...which is a very different animal.

Were you using stock springs, stock cam?

Last edited by billla; 07-12-2016 at 02:35 AM.
Old 07-12-2016, 02:40 AM
neutron82
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

pac 1518's and cam is not stock, there's no way I was going to leave those in my car after seeing what they looked like... I was just trying to give you a heads up though, good luck with the repair
Old 07-12-2016, 02:41 AM
billla
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '14

Originally Posted by neutron82
pac 1518's and cam is not stock, there's no way I was going to leave those in my car after seeing what they looked like... I was just trying to give you a heads up though, good luck with the repair
Thanks; stock springs and cam so I'm confident that they'll be OK. I guess we'll see

Seeing at the end of the thread where folks are finding bushing material in their oil filters...

Last edited by billla; 07-12-2016 at 02:44 AM.

Quick Reply: 03 Z06 Engine Problem