C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Seat with strange behavior

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2016, 01:56 PM
radracr
Heel & Toe

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Seat with strange behavior

I have a 1999 FRC that I'm having some issues with the drivers seat. My car does not have the memory option...at least my panel on the drivers door does not have the memory buttons. Here is what happens. If I unlock the car with the fob, open the door, get in and shut the door, put the key in the ignition the seat starts moving (not to the same position either). If I unlock the car, open the door, get in but DO NOT shut the door, put the key in the ignition it doesn't move the seat. Every time I have to make sure to put the key in the ignition before shutting the door otherwise the seat moves to a random position. Has anyone seen this before? Any ideas? The only thing I have come up with is someone replaced something that used to be on a memory car, but I don't know what really. Thanks for any help!
Old 06-20-2016, 02:14 PM
mnmthoele
Instructor

Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts

Does the 99s have easy entry mode. Go into options on the Driver Information Center and turn it off, then the seat shouldn't move on it's own.
Old 06-22-2016, 09:19 AM
radracr
Heel & Toe

It does have the easy entry option, but I had already turned it off. So it would seem that the previous owner put the wrong switch panel in. Is there a way to clear the memory in my case?
Old 06-23-2016, 09:06 AM
GUSTO14
Le Mans Master

Received 1,962 Likes on 1,283 Posts

Originally Posted by radracr
It does have the easy entry option, but I had already turned it off. So it would seem that the previous owner put the wrong switch panel in. Is there a way to clear the memory in my case?
Does your car have the Sports seats installed by chance? They would not have been available in the '99 Hardtop from the factory, but I've seen plenty of them installed.

Good luck... GUSTO
Old 06-23-2016, 12:09 PM
radracr
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by GUSTO14
Does your car have the Sports seats installed by chance? They would not have been available in the '99 Hardtop from the factory, but I've seen plenty of them installed.

Good luck... GUSTO
Whats the difference between the Sports seats and what would have been factory for a FRC in '99? It's possible the previous owner could have swapped them out, but I do not know.
Old 06-23-2016, 03:25 PM
GUSTO14
Le Mans Master

Whats the difference between the Sports seats and what would have been factory for a FRC in '99? It's possible the previous owner could have swapped them out, but I do not know.
This is what a Sport Seat will look like and was available in the full variety of interior colors, including black. It will have all electric functioning as well as inflatable lumbar supports. The big visual difference is the opening at the top of the seat.

The Hardtop was available with the base seat in black only. Power was available as an option on the hardtop, but had no provisions for inflatable lumbar support.

GUSTO
Old 06-23-2016, 05:32 PM
radracr
Heel & Toe

This is what a Sport Seat will look like and was available in the full variety of interior colors, including black. It will have all electric functioning as well as inflatable lumbar supports. The big visual difference is the opening at the top of the seat.

The Hardtop was available with the base seat in black only. Power was available as an option on the hardtop, but had no provisions for inflatable lumbar support.

GUSTO
Thanks for the info! My seats do have the opening and all the controls. I'm guessing whoever did this messed it up then. Is that a safe bet? What would this have to do with the seat moving?
Old 06-23-2016, 08:28 PM
GUSTO14
Le Mans Master

Thanks for the info! My seats do have the opening and all the controls. I'm guessing whoever did this messed it up then. Is that a safe bet? What would this have to do with the seat moving?
In that case it is very likely that your seat has the memory function programmed in your Seat Control Module. Because of that the memory function is trying to reset your seat to the last programmed position each time you enter the car the right way.

If you would like to activate the memory function in your car, I believe that all you need to do is install the Master Power Window Switch (With Memory Package) in your drivers side door and you should be able to fix your problem as well as activate the memory function. Because so few C5's were sold without the memory function the cost of the with-Memory switch is about 1/3rd the cost of the non-memory switch (so don't throw away your old one!) Changing the switch is about a 5-minute job too.

I installed Sport seats in my 2000 hardtop back in 2004 and after sorting out the wiring changes discovered that every time I entered my car using the FOB and starting the car, my passenger mirror would go full up and right. A real pain as you might guess. A while back I had to replace my Master Power Window switch and discovered that the cost of the non-memory switch was way more expensive than the memory switch. Here on the Forum, everyone said it would function just fine, even if you didn't have the memory function, so I bought that one. After installing the master power switch with memory, my mirror problem disappeared and son-of-a-gun, I now have the memory function on my mirrors and seats.

Good luck... GUSTO

Last edited by GUSTO14; 06-23-2016 at 08:30 PM.
The following users liked this post:
radracr (06-24-2016)
Old 06-23-2016, 09:39 PM
73Corvette
Le Mans Master

Received 464 Likes on 374 Posts

Nice GUSTO... very well written informative post. Hope it takes care of the OP's issue
Old 06-24-2016, 09:24 AM
radracr
Heel & Toe

In that case it is very likely that your seat has the memory function programmed in your Seat Control Module. Because of that the memory function is trying to reset your seat to the last programmed position each time you enter the car the right way.

If you would like to activate the memory function in your car, I believe that all you need to do is install the Master Power Window Switch (With Memory Package) in your drivers side door and you should be able to fix your problem as well as activate the memory function. Because so few C5's were sold without the memory function the cost of the with-Memory switch is about 1/3rd the cost of the non-memory switch (so don't throw away your old one!) Changing the switch is about a 5-minute job too.

I installed Sport seats in my 2000 hardtop back in 2004 and after sorting out the wiring changes discovered that every time I entered my car using the FOB and starting the car, my passenger mirror would go full up and right. A real pain as you might guess. A while back I had to replace my Master Power Window switch and discovered that the cost of the non-memory switch was way more expensive than the memory switch. Here on the Forum, everyone said it would function just fine, even if you didn't have the memory function, so I bought that one. After installing the master power switch with memory, my mirror problem disappeared and son-of-a-gun, I now have the memory function on my mirrors and seats.

Good luck... GUSTO
I will look at getting a new switch panel. Appreciate your help. Now this makes me wonder why the previous owner took it out and replaced the seats.
Old 06-29-2016, 05:44 AM
lilmonster
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think I'm having the same weird seat moving problem,
My seats are moving to random places too.

the last owner did take the sport seats out and replaced them with the base seats.
I do have the seat memory package and my mirrors go to the same position when I press the memory button,
but the seat moves to a different position every time, just a little off each time.
i'm going to check the easy out option tomorrow.

Get notified of new replies

To Seat with strange behavior

Quick Reply: Seat with strange behavior