C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Looking for replacement threaded inserts for front leaf spring

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2016, 12:15 PM
JCOB2
Pro

Received 202 Likes on 69 Posts

Default Looking for replacement threaded inserts for front leaf spring

I purchased aftermarket lowering bolts to adjust ride height because the stock bolts on my 1997 are totally rusted and seized. I was unable to turn the stock bolts so removed the leaf spring from the vehicle. Put impact gun on the bolts after soaking in PB Blaster and they still didn't turn. Upped the torque on the air gun and it just stripped the 10mm hex-heads on the bolt. So I clamped the leaf spring in a bench-top vice, applied heat with a propane torch to the bolt, and put a pipe wrench on the large circular end of the bolt. I got the assembly to turn, but it just backed the entire seized combination of bolt and threaded insert out of the spring (i.e. threaded inset broke loose from leaf spring). I have searched this forum and found that it is possible to epoxy a threaded insert back into the leaf spring, but my stock inserts are totally shot, I need new ones.

Where can I purchase the threaded inserts that the lower bolts screw into?

I found this thread from 10 years ago referencing some vendors that supposedly sold them, but it appears to me that karshop is out of business and I can't find the part on the VB&P site:

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...d-inserts.html

Any advice so save me from having to spend hundreds of dollars on a new front leaf spring would be appreciated.

<br >

Last edited by JCOB2; 06-12-2016 at 01:53 PM.
Old 06-12-2016, 02:41 PM
momo20
Safety Car

Received 75 Likes on 64 Posts

as far as i know you can't just buy that part as it comes in a kit..unless you can check around at some the vendors on here that my have one from a parts car
Old 06-12-2016, 03:06 PM
striper
Le Mans Master

Received 246 Likes on 215 Posts

There is an item called a Nutsert insert that is designed for putting a threaded hole in sheet metal or also in a car's frame. It has a section that compresses into the hole to fasten it. I've used them many times and they work great and are easy to install. I originally got them from U.S.General which nowadays is part of Harbor Freight, so you might try there. I would also try Eastwood. If you should find it might be able to fix you up. Good Luck!
Old 06-12-2016, 08:23 PM
Greg_E
Melting Slicks

Received 62 Likes on 58 Posts

I would give VB&P a call. They sell the their own springs so they must have a source for the components to build them. Whether they are the same as the stock GM adjuster is a question you will need to ask, but it is worth a shot.
Old 06-13-2016, 09:34 AM
striper
Le Mans Master

Received 246 Likes on 215 Posts

Originally Posted by Greg_E
I would give VB&P a call. They sell the their own springs so they must have a source for the components to build them. Whether they are the same as the stock GM adjuster is a question you will need to ask, but it is worth a shot.
That's probably a better idea than mine. I've dealt with them and they are good people.
Old 06-13-2016, 09:37 AM
JCOB2
Pro

I called VB&P this morning and they were super helpful. They do stock the threaded insert and will sell it separately. They said that they have used various bolt diameters and thread pitches over the years in manufacturing their aftermarket composite springs, so it's important to specify that you need an insert to fit a GM spring which uses a 14mm diameter x 2mm thread pitch for the ride-height bolt. The tech I spoke with even gave me advice on what the best epoxy/adhesive to use when securing the insert back into the leaf spring: 3M window-weld.

Last edited by JCOB2; 06-13-2016 at 10:20 AM.
Old 05-19-2017, 04:26 PM
Biggie G
Drifting

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

Awesome Thread !

Thanks
Old 05-19-2017, 05:24 PM
JCOB2
Pro

Glad you found it helpful. Update 1 year later, the repaired leaf-spring has been problem free. The 3M window-weld is some pretty solid stuff and does the job well. Make sure to let it cure for a day before installing it into the vehicle and putting any pressure on the spring. This is definitely the way to go if you need this repair but don't want to spend the cash on coilovers or an aftermarket leaf spring with a firmer rate.
Old 10-27-2021, 09:47 AM
zeez
Intermediate

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post

hello,
i'm interested about the nutsert insert

I don't know if the vette brakes and products are still availlable (i live in france so it's hard for me to know how to contact them )

JCOB2, could you help me please ? it's for C5 leaf springs and i woul like to know how bought them ? (i need 4 nutserts inserts, cause i have 2 C5 ^^)

are the front the same size ? 14mm diameter x 2mm thread pitch ?

regards
Zeez
Old 10-27-2021, 11:52 AM
leadfoot4
Team Owner

Received 1,344 Likes on 1,095 Posts

Originally Posted by zeez
hello,
i'm interested about the nutsert insert

I don't know if the vette brakes and products are still availlable (i live in france so it's hard for me to know how to contact them )

JCOB2, could you help me please ? it's for C5 leaf springs and i woul like to know how bought them ? (i need 4 nutserts inserts, cause i have 2 C5 ^^)

are the front the same size ? 14mm diameter x 2mm thread pitch ?

regards
Zeez
I can't help you with details about replacement inserts, but I can say that VB&P closed their doors, a couple of years ago.

Old 10-27-2021, 02:37 PM
Greg_E
Melting Slicks

Received 62 Likes on 58 Posts

You can try this forum vendor.
Strano Performance Parts
http://www.stranoparts.com
Phone number: 8148493450
08 White Street
Brookville, PA 15625

Also check with manufacturer Hyperco www dot Hypercoil dot com

You can also try posting in the autocross and road racing forum. Someone there my know were you can get them.
https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...roadracing-23/

Last edited by Greg_E; 10-27-2021 at 02:49 PM.
Old 11-04-2021, 05:49 PM
zeez
Intermediate

i have tried strano performance but they don't have the nutsert insert

i think it will be hard to repair it ...
Old 11-04-2021, 05:50 PM
zeez
Intermediate

thank you for your help ! i will continue to search
Old 11-05-2021, 12:42 PM
JCOB2
Pro

I believe "Nutsert" is just a brand name of what is commonly known as a "rivet nut" and that any rivet nut with a M14 diameter and 2mm thread pitch could be made to work. That said, I too am having a hard time finding any rivet nuts that are of the M14 size. Grainger and McMaster-Carr have everything up to M12. Looking at a few manufacturers, Rivnut goes up to M12 as well and Sherex has a M12 and M16 but no M14. Keep on searching, and maybe make a few calls or emails to Rivnut or Sherex to see what they would recommend.

If you want to go the contract manufacturing route, this page on Alibaba advertises making M14 rivet nuts, but minimum order is 10,000 pieces !! Anyone want to go into business with being the sole-source US supplier of this part for the foreseeable future?

Last edited by JCOB2; 11-05-2021 at 12:52 PM.
Old 11-05-2021, 05:05 PM
leadfoot4
Team Owner

Received 1,344 Likes on 1,095 Posts

Originally Posted by JCOB2
I believe "Nutsert" is just a brand name of what is commonly known as a "rivet nut" and that any rivet nut with a M14 diameter and 2mm thread pitch could be made to work. That said, I too am having a hard time finding any rivet nuts that are of the M14 size. Grainger and McMaster-Carr have everything up to M12. Looking at a few manufacturers, Rivnut goes up to M12 as well and Sherex has a M12 and M16 but no M14. Keep on searching, and maybe make a few calls or emails to Rivnut or Sherex to see what they would recommend.

If you want to go the contract manufacturing route, this page on Alibaba advertises making M14 rivet nuts, but minimum order is 10,000 pieces !! Anyone want to go into business with being the sole-source US supplier of this part for the foreseeable future?
The drawback with trying a Rivnut, if there is indeed one that size, is that the tool for one that large in diameter, is a large, $$$ tool, for the 1 or 2 times that you're going to use it.....
Old 11-07-2021, 10:11 AM
lionelhutz
Race Director

Received 845 Likes on 721 Posts

Rivnuts don't seem to have a very big shoulder to spread the weight out into the spring. Certainly not as wide as the original insert.

The original is not that bad so there is no reason it can't be saved.

First, try cutting the extra bolt length off with a grinding cutoff wheel. Let the wheel grind away on it without pushing hard to get it nice and hot. As soon as you get it cut off try unscrewing the rest of the bolt from the insert. Hopefully, the heat breaks it loose.

If the above doesn't work, heat the insert with a real oxy-acetylene torch and it'll definitely come off the old bolt.

Once apart, clean the threads and clean the outside and glue it back into the spring. Use some anti-seize on the new bolt when installing it.

Old 11-07-2021, 10:46 AM
dmsog
Racer

Received 104 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by leadfoot4
The drawback with trying a Rivnut, if there is indeed one that size, is that the tool for one that large in diameter, is a large, $$$ tool, for the 1 or 2 times that you're going to use it.....
The rivet nut might not work anyway, the force required to rivet it in might expand the hole in the spring since its some kind of composite. Rivet nuts are installed with a specialized rivet-gun looking tool.

I'd just put in with some good two-part epoxy. If you look at the job this nut does, it's not going anywhere after you install it.
Old 11-10-2021, 04:56 PM
zeez
Intermediate

So to answer my question, i decide to do it myself ;-)

And its M14 x 2.00

Get notified of new replies

To Looking for replacement threaded inserts for front leaf spring

Quick Reply: Looking for replacement threaded inserts for front leaf spring