C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Wiring diagram needed ... sick of the demonically possessed side mirrors

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2016, 09:24 AM
wcsinx
Team Owner

Received 71 Likes on 65 Posts

Default Wiring diagram needed ... sick of the demonically possessed side mirrors

I'm so done with these GD side mirrors. Every freaking time I get in my car bzzzbzzzbzz ... oh now there's a nice view of the sky/dirt in your side mirrors which btw were perfectly adjusted the last time you got in your car. I've tried cleaning the resistance sliders to no avail. It is not a feature I need nor want. I want to set them in 1 position and have the BCM stop f**king with them.

Looking at the guts, I see an 8 wire bundle going to the mirror module. I'm guessing 4 of those are for the motors and 4 are for the position sensors. And I bet if I can snip the wires to the sensors, the BCM will read infinite resistance all the time and thus will stop trying to move them around. Yes? No?

Anyone got a wiring diagram for the door?
Old 04-20-2016, 09:31 AM
wcsinx
Team Owner

Nevermind ... found 'em

http://corvetteforum.shelor.net/Diagrams/Doors/

let the surgery begin
Old 04-20-2016, 11:41 AM
dadaroo
Le Mans Master

Received 290 Likes on 226 Posts

You can just remove the pins from the connector instead of cutting wires. Let me know if you need any help. Looks like you are ready for the Samuari fix though.

Mr. Sam

I think just removing the 4 pin connector will do it. Just using my memory of the design.

Last edited by dadaroo; 04-20-2016 at 11:42 AM.
Old 04-20-2016, 12:35 PM
wcsinx
Team Owner

Originally Posted by dadaroo
You can just remove the pins from the connector instead of cutting wires. Let me know if you need any help. Looks like you are ready for the Samuari fix though.

Mr. Sam

I think just removing the 4 pin connector will do it. Just using my memory of the design.
That is actually my plan A. That failing, I'll snip snip.

On the motor side, all 8 wires are in the same harness. Are they broken out into 2, 4-wire plugs in the door?
Old 04-20-2016, 12:35 PM
Stroker87
Melting Slicks

Received 152 Likes on 118 Posts

since you have it set to #1 are you using #1 key fob?

before you do all that i would set the mirror and program it to #1 & #2 and see if it still moves
Old 04-20-2016, 01:48 PM
wcsinx
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Stroker87
since you have it set to #1 are you using #1 key fob?

before you do all that i would set the mirror and program it to #1 & #2 and see if it still moves
Tried that ... no dice. The positions it moves to are nowhere near any human-usable position.
Old 04-20-2016, 04:54 PM
AZhitman
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Watching...
Old 04-20-2016, 05:07 PM
Stroker87
Melting Slicks

maybe you need a priest? it might be haunted?

is it possable you dont have remote 1 & 2?

if you have a replacement remote (#3) maybe you need to program the memory by holding down 1&2 at the same time i think it was or maybe you can just do a reprogram and set it as #1

Last edited by Stroker87; 04-20-2016 at 05:08 PM.
Old 04-20-2016, 07:06 PM
wcsinx
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Stroker87
maybe you need a priest? it might be haunted?

is it possable you dont have remote 1 & 2?

if you have a replacement remote (#3) maybe you need to program the memory by holding down 1&2 at the same time i think it was or maybe you can just do a reprogram and set it as #1
I assure you it has nothing to do with the remote. I know this because sometimes they move and sometimes they don't. And I have set and reset both 1 and 2 memories literally hundreds of times. So even if it was a replacement remote, there is simply nothing that should be commanding it to move to the position that it does. And I've also noticed there is a direct correlation to the current humidity content of the air and how much the mirrors move. The problem is those variable resistance sliders that determine the horizontal and vertical positions get worn out and/or corroded. It's actually a pretty common problem.
Old 04-22-2016, 07:21 PM
wcsinx
Team Owner

I just opened up my driver door, and lo and behold what do I find but a 4-wire harness with the colors corresponding to the 4 sensor leads ...

http://corvetteforum.shelor.net/Diag...or_Control.gif

BlackWhite, Dk Green, Gray, Gray (these colors were the lower half of the plug, they switch colors on the upper half)

Popped that plug out and voila! No more memory "feature" for that mirror! I can still move it around with the door controls, but now I'll be the ONLY thing moving them around.

Last edited by wcsinx; 04-22-2016 at 07:21 PM.
Old 04-22-2016, 08:45 PM
Stroker87
Melting Slicks

Glad you got ride of the haunting lol
Old 04-23-2016, 12:40 AM
AZhitman
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by wcsinx

I just opened up my driver door, and lo and behold what do I find but a 4-wire harness with the colors corresponding to the 4 sensor leads ...

http://corvetteforum.shelor.net/Diag...or_Control.gif

BlackWhite, Dk Green, Gray, Gray (these colors were the lower half of the plug, they switch colors on the upper half)

Popped that plug out and voila! No more memory "feature" for that mirror! I can still move it around with the door controls, but now I'll be the ONLY thing moving them around.

So, you just unplugged that connection?
Old 04-23-2016, 07:29 AM
dadaroo
Le Mans Master

Received 290 Likes on 226 Posts

Only the Memory mirrors have that extra 4 terminal plug.

Glad you got the demons out.

Mr. Sam
Old 04-23-2016, 10:53 AM
wcsinx
Team Owner

Originally Posted by AZhitman
So, you just unplugged that connection?
correct
Old 07-28-2017, 08:44 PM
ninety6
Instructor

Received 67 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by wcsinx
correct
OK, i'm bringing this thread back from the dead. I have the same issue, annoying and unsafe.

I tried exactly this. Unplugged the 4 pin memory connector from each side. It only kinda works?

I thought my issue was resolved after unplugging the 2 4-pin connects. After i did, using buttons 1 and 2 on the door DON'T move the mirrors.

Also, if i lock the doors, and unlock after a short period of time, the mirrors don't move. However -- overnight, or after being at work for the day, or a few hours... hit unlock on the remote -- and sure enough, the mirrors freaking MOVE still -- both of them. But not till i hit the unlock button on the remote.

In ONE instance (i haven't had a chance to try this repeatedly yet): i unlocked the door with the key, sat down, shut the door... THEN pushed the unlock button, and the mirrors did NOT move.

They move differently than before -- they move more in and slightly down -- where before, with the memory connectors plugged in, the moved mostly down, and little in.

SO, is there some sort of default or position that the mirrors try to move to if they don't detect the the signal from the memory feature?

Driving me bananas.

My next thought, if someone can't help:
Put a toggle switch on power wire(s) going to the mirrors, so that they don't work at all in any fashion, unless i toggle that switch on......

Help!?
Old 07-29-2017, 04:33 PM
Doug1
Safety Car

Received 41 Likes on 34 Posts

I have the same problem, only with passenger side. Haven't tried to fix it though. It can be dangerous, needing to make a quick lane change to the right and the mirror is showing you the ground. I don't always check the mirror when I start the car and it only does it sporadically.
Old 07-31-2017, 05:12 PM
wcsinx
Team Owner

Ahh yes, I probably should've posted a follow-up to this. Pulling those connectors seemed to work for about a week. Then gradually the problem returned. Now it's as bad as it ever was. I think what I might do is simply cut the power at the BCM. I just need to find a suitable 4-pole, single throw switch which I'll mount under the driver seat. Then I can just get them where I want them, cut the power to the motors, and fahgettabouit.

Last edited by wcsinx; 07-31-2017 at 05:13 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To Wiring diagram needed ... sick of the demonically possessed side mirrors

Old 07-31-2017, 05:44 PM
TastyBacon
Pro

Received 80 Likes on 62 Posts

For folks like Doug1 and others who may want to try cleaning the position sensors, here's the how-to: https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...262-b2265.html
Old 07-31-2017, 07:01 PM
02BlownZ06
Drifting

Received 406 Likes on 311 Posts

Thanks for this thread. My passenger's mirror is doing that crap. About to drive me banannas!!!
Old 07-31-2017, 07:27 PM
wcsinx
Team Owner

Originally Posted by TastyBacon
For folks like Doug1 and others who may want to try cleaning the position sensors, here's the how-to: https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...262-b2265.html
I'm pretty sure my problem is a fault with the BCM. Consider those sensors are essentially rheostats (variable resistors) thus unhooking them should be interpreted as infinite resistance by the BCM. Now knowing that, you'd think the BCM would always act in the same way since the measured resistance is unchanging. It most likely would either go into a fail safe mode and do nothing or move the mirror to one extreme or another. But neither of those describes what mine do. Sometimes they don't move at all, sometimes they barely move, and sometimes they'll point at the sky or ground. There is absolutely no rhyme or reason to it despite sending an unchanging signal to the BCM.

But I know the solution.

Quick Reply: Wiring diagram needed ... sick of the demonically possessed side mirrors