C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1997 fuel filter info...

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2016, 08:34 AM
c5chines
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default 1997 fuel filter info...

I just changed my fuel filter again because they seem to last a year at most before they start leaking fuel onto the exhaust pipe.The last filter was a plastic body with plastic locking clips on both ends.I was advised that there is an updated design that eliminated the fixed plastic clip attached to the line,the clip gets cut off.The new design is all steel and the clip is built into the filter and locks onto the ring on the line that used to retain the plastic clip.No built in mount on the filter either.Hopefully this will solve the leaking issues with the filters.Just a FYI.
Old 04-06-2016, 09:49 AM
mmartinez
Melting Slicks

Received 518 Likes on 434 Posts

Default Fuel Filter

I would be interested in the new design, could you keep us informed if you find out who sells this new filter?
Old 04-06-2016, 09:59 AM
leadfoot4
Team Owner

Received 1,344 Likes on 1,095 Posts

Just my $0.02 worth.....

I think the ethanol content, in many of today's fuels, is what deteriorates the seals on fuel filters. Using a non-ethanol fuel, if you can find it, or an "ethanol antidote", like the one made by Lucas Oil, may help with the problem.
Old 04-07-2016, 11:25 AM
c5chines
Racer

I bought the new filter at a local Carquest.The parts guy says it's simply an updated design.The main difference with the eliminated plastic clip is that the line end goes into the filter deeper without the plastic clip and that the built in filter clip locks onto the line with 4 stainless metal clips giving 4 points of retention versus 2 with the plastic.The end where the changes were made is where mine always leaked.
Old 04-07-2016, 01:38 PM
corvettebob1
Melting Slicks

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by c5chines
I bought the new filter at a local Carquest.The parts guy says it's simply an updated design.The main difference with the eliminated plastic clip is that the line end goes into the filter deeper without the plastic clip and that the built in filter clip locks onto the line with 4 stainless metal clips giving 4 points of retention versus 2 with the plastic.The end where the changes were made is where mine always leaked.
Interesting' I have used only OEM filters and never had one leak.
Old 04-08-2016, 12:33 PM
c5chines
Racer

Originally Posted by corvettebob1
Interesting' I have used only OEM filters and never had one leak.
I wonder if mine leak because of the cold weather in Michigan,probably doesn't help.
Old 04-08-2016, 12:58 PM
Macleod52
Burning Brakes

Received 51 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by leadfoot4
Just my $0.02 worth.....

I think the ethanol content, in many of today's fuels, is what deteriorates the seals on fuel filters. Using a non-ethanol fuel, if you can find it, or an "ethanol antidote", like the one made by Lucas Oil, may help with the problem.
Ethanol has nothing to do with it. If ethanol was truly as evil as everyone has made it out to be then the car companies would be scrambling over to Washington to remove it from the blend. Ethanol is at 99% of all fueling stations around me and have been for years. It may cause problems in older cars but any modern car run just fine with it. There's gotta be something else going on causing his issue.

For the record I've had my car nearly 3 years and have used strictly 93 w/10% ethanol and I have absolutely no issues with my fuel filter.

Last edited by Macleod52; 04-08-2016 at 12:59 PM.
Old 04-08-2016, 01:11 PM
leadfoot4
Team Owner

Received 1,344 Likes on 1,095 Posts

Originally Posted by Macleod52
..............For the record I've had my car nearly 3 years and have used strictly 93 w/10% ethanol and I have absolutely no issues with my fuel filter.
That's terrific!

I swapped out the OE fuel filter from my '01, when the car was 4 years old. No issues, not a lot of miles, just did it for "maintenance". The new filter that was installed, was an AC Delco OE replacement filter. 4 years later, the "new" filter started leaking at it's inlet side, and had to be replaced.

My observations......when the car was new, there weren't as many gas stations selling ethanol blended fuel, so the car didn't see any ethanol. Coincidentally, after I swapped the filter, ethanol content in gasoline became more widespread in my geographic area. However, after I installed the second new filter, two things occurred. I found a couple of stations that sell ethanol free gas, and I also found an "ethanol antidote", as sold by Lucas oil.

In the last 4 years, my car has either ethanol fuel in it, or if for some reason, I don't pass by the ethanol-free station in my area, and need gas, I use the Lucas product. Going on 5 years without any issues.

Get notified of new replies

To 1997 fuel filter info...

Quick Reply: 1997 fuel filter info...