C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

driveshaft has a slight wobble

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2016, 10:37 AM
01silvercoupe
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default driveshaft has a slight wobble

I have my torque tube out right now because I'm replacing the rear main seal/rear timing cover gasket. When i spin the drive shaft in the torque tube, I notice a very slight wobble. The shaft spins easily and freely, has no side to side play but does have that slight wobble. It's so slight that I had a hard time filming it with my cellphone but i can see it if I look hard enough. I took the drive shaft out and the torque tube couplers look perfect (no cracking or tearing). My question is a small amount of wobble acceptable? If you would like to see a video, I can get my camera with a tripod out.

Also, I have vibration in the motor at 2k and 4k rpm. It persists in all scenarios that I could test.
Driving normally in all gears
revving the motor with clutch depressed and transmission in neutral
revving the motor with clutch depressed and transmission in 1st
revving the motor with clutch engaged and transmission in neutral

I kind of figured that would be a motor mount issue because revving with clutch depressed and transmission in first means the drive shaft isnt spinning. Also, the harmonic dampener is new and not wobbling.

Thanks!
Old 02-02-2016, 01:28 PM
Bill Curlee
Tech Contributor

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,181 Likes on 1,584 Posts
CI 6,7,8,9,11 Vet
St. Jude Donor '08

Have you ever had your clutch and or flywheel replaced??

Sounds to me like a HOT BALANCE issue..

You could also have a slight vibration if the Harmonic Damper has been replaced. Is yours original??

BC
The following users liked this post:
01silvercoupe (02-02-2016)
Old 02-02-2016, 02:15 PM
01silvercoupe
Instructor

Originally Posted by Bill Curlee
Have you ever had your clutch and or flywheel replaced??

Sounds to me like a HOT BALANCE issue..

You could also have a slight vibration if the Harmonic Damper has been replaced. Is yours original??

BC
Yep, both have been replaced. Clutch assymbly has been replaced with a luk OEM kit (about 30k miles ago) and the harmonic balancer was replaced without weights (about 14k miles ago). The original balancer had no weights in the holes either.
Old 02-02-2016, 06:35 PM
Bill Curlee
Tech Contributor

Support Corvetteforum!

CI 6,7,8,9,11 Vet
St. Jude Donor '08

Originally Posted by 01silvercoupe
Yep, both have been replaced. Clutch assymbly has been replaced with a luk OEM kit (about 30k miles ago) and the harmonic balancer was replaced without weights (about 14k miles ago). The original balancer had no weights in the holes either.
Was your OEM flywheel replaced? If so, did you take into consideration the off set balance of the OEM flywheel (any pins installed in the rim) and when you reinstalled it, was it properly clocked back onto the crank??

Bill
Old 02-02-2016, 08:31 PM
01silvercoupe
Instructor

Was your OEM flywheel replaced? If so, did you take into consideration the off set balance of the OEM flywheel (any pins installed in the rim) and when you reinstalled it, was it properly clocked back onto the crank??

Bill
I did replace the flywheel with the one in the kit. I was under the impression that no flywheels were hot balanced on the ls1. Just internal and harmonic dampener? It is a recent vibration. The clutch kit was in the car years before it started vibrating.
Old 02-02-2016, 09:55 PM
Bill Curlee
Tech Contributor

Support Corvetteforum!

CI 6,7,8,9,11 Vet
St. Jude Donor '08

ALL,,, C5 & C6 LS Engines that powered a manual transmission were HOT BALANCED!

That being said,, what would have changed to cause a NEW vibration??

Thoughts:

1. Pilot Bearing
2. Damaged pressure plate
3. Torque Tube Bushing/s
4. Torque Tube Bearings
5. Cracked Bell Housing (Mine was cracked but didn't know it. Hair Line)
6. Loose or missing bell housing or torque tube bolts. (Seen that a few times)

= Yes,, if the prop shaft is bent/wobbles, it could flex and cause a weird vibration.

Bill

Last edited by Bill Curlee; 02-02-2016 at 09:59 PM.
Old 02-02-2016, 10:01 PM
01silvercoupe
Instructor

Thoughts:

1. Pilot Bearing It does look damaged. maybe thats it
2. Damaged pressure plate Looks fine
3. Torque Tube Bushing/s Look fine
4. Torque Tube Bearings Seem to be in good shape
5. Cracked Bell Housing (Mine was cracked but didn't know it. Hair Line) It's off now. I'll check it to see if there are any cracks

Next thing that I would do would be to pop off the bell housing inspection plate and see if you can see or hear anything abnormal.

Bill
I have the old flywheel and it does have two pins with a blue paint over them. I guess it would be a good idea to transfer? Reading about the transfer of those weights has given me grey hairs
Old 02-02-2016, 10:25 PM
thbwlZ
Racer

Received 31 Likes on 27 Posts

I have the old flywheel and it does have two pins with a blue paint over them. I guess it would be a good idea to transfer? Reading about the transfer of those weights has given me grey hairs
You said the clutch was in for a long time with no vibrations, correct?? If yes, don't transfer weights. If you have your original pressure plate ALONG WITH your original flywheel, you could see what the COMBO balances out to. The hot balance is done AFTER the pp and fw are BOTH installed to the engine. Weights are sometimes added to the fw. Due to the fw and pp own starting imbalances, that creates a unique fw/pp combo that works with your engine. Not just a fw alone. All components have their own balance tolerances. Put them together, you get tolerance stackup. Don't just transfer weights. Early service manuals instructed to transfer weights, then was changed. There is a reason!
Old 02-02-2016, 10:33 PM
thbwlZ
Racer

Thoughts:

1. Pilot Bearing
2. Damaged pressure plate
3. Torque Tube Bushing/s
4. Torque Tube Bearings
5. Cracked Bell Housing (Mine was cracked but didn't know it. Hair Line)

= Yes,, if the prop shaft is bent/wobbles, it could flex and cause a weird vibration.

Bill
Want to know a secret?? The new LT1 and LT4 are ALSO hot balanced!! For manuals. This aint going away anytime soon. You'd think after 19 years it wouldn't be such a flipping mystery! Nah, that's just crazy talk!

Last edited by thbwlZ; 02-02-2016 at 10:33 PM.
Old 02-03-2016, 12:42 AM
Bill Curlee
Tech Contributor

Support Corvetteforum!

CI 6,7,8,9,11 Vet
St. Jude Donor '08

Originally Posted by thbwlZ
Want to know a secret?? The new LT1 and LT4 are ALSO hot balanced!! For manuals. This aint going away anytime soon. You'd think after 19 years it wouldn't be such a flipping mystery! Nah, that's just crazy talk!
I had a strange feeling that you were going to reply. I didn't have a 100% confirmation that the procedure was still being conducted.

Thanks

Bill
Old 02-03-2016, 01:06 AM
thbwlZ
Racer

I had a strange feeling that you were going to reply. I didn't have a 100% confirmation that the procedure was still being conducted.

Thanks

Bill
Yes sir, 100% confirmation from a current engine builder at bowling green. They are very willing to help if anyone wants to educate themselves about the actual processes being used. Like maybe clutch manufacturers or shops who claim to want to help customers address this issue.

Last edited by thbwlZ; 02-03-2016 at 01:15 AM.
01silvercoupe (02-03-2016)
Old 02-03-2016, 08:28 PM
Paul 75 L82
Le Mans Master

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

C5 Z06 forum, it's where the experts live.
Old 02-03-2016, 10:45 PM
01silvercoupe
Instructor

Yes sir, 100% confirmation from a current engine builder at bowling green. They are very willing to help if anyone wants to educate themselves about the actual processes being used. Like maybe clutch manufacturers or shops who claim to want to help customers address this issue.
I gotta tell you, for an engine that has such a high reputation for reliability and ease to work on, this has to be the most frustrating back-and-forth reading I've ever done.

I guess I'll hold off on installing the weights. I do have the original flywheel/PP (my hoarder instinct is paying off) so I may look for a machine shop that can compare the two and make adjustments if needed. I'll get a video of the drive shaft wobble to see if anything looks off to anyone.
Old 02-03-2016, 11:31 PM
lionelhutz
Race Director

Received 845 Likes on 721 Posts

When i spin the drive shaft in the torque tube, I notice a very slight wobble.
The input shaft wobbles? To me, it seems rather pointless to check for runout when the one of the bearings that supports the shaft is missing. The input shaft is supported by the throwout bearing in the front and a single roller bearing in the rear. A single roller bearing itself won't hold the shaft straight and a rubber coupler has little chance of holding it straight either.
Old 02-04-2016, 10:20 AM
01silvercoupe
Instructor

Originally Posted by lionelhutz
The input shaft wobbles? To me, it seems rather pointless to check for runout when the one of the bearings that supports the shaft is missing. The input shaft is supported by the throwout bearing in the front and a single roller bearing in the rear. A single roller bearing itself won't hold the shaft straight and a rubber coupler has little chance of holding it straight either.
There's one up front that supports it in the torque tube too

Last edited by 01silvercoupe; 02-04-2016 at 10:23 AM.
Old 02-04-2016, 12:42 PM
thbwlZ
Racer

I gotta tell you, for an engine that has such a high reputation for reliability and ease to work on, this has to be the most frustrating back-and-forth reading I've ever done.

I guess I'll hold off on installing the weights. I do have the original flywheel/PP (my hoarder instinct is paying off) so I may look for a machine shop that can compare the two and make adjustments if needed. I'll get a video of the drive shaft wobble to see if anything looks off to anyone.
I know you may not have read it during your searching, but I have said this over and over; this is NOT AN ENGINE BALANCING PROBLEM.
The engine balance is fine AS ASSEMBLED without any further external balancing. The build tolerances on all components are all tight enough to make as built engine balance very good for engine reliability and operation. LS engines going in to automatic vettes ARE NOT HOT BALANCED.

HOWEVER

Due to the different vibration transfer paths inherent to the manual transmission vette's design, and its NVH impact, LS engines going into manual transmission vettes ARE further externally balanced via the hot balance procedure. It is to get TOTAL engine assembly balance DOWN EVEN BETTER than what is required for engine reliability, strictly for NVH purposes, to minimize vibrations transmitted into the cabin. This is unique to vettes because of the split engine/transmission design, connected with the rigid torque tube.

You are in good shape if you have your stock FW/PP. Keep them. Put them together see what their state of balance is, as the COMBO. That will give you a starting point, as far as balance goes.

As far as the propshaft wobbling, I'm not clear what you are describing. Just the elastomeric couplers and length of the shaft will allow a little "flex". The shaft guide at the center of the propshaft ( I don't know what it is actually called) helps keep the spinning propshaft from flexing too much. If you have "play" in your bearings, that's a whole different ballgame.

PS: when I CAPITALIZE words, I am not yelling, I'm just trying to highlight important sections. So as not to tick anyone off.
Old 02-04-2016, 01:05 PM
lionelhutz
Race Director

Received 845 Likes on 721 Posts

There's one up front that supports it in the torque tube too

The input shaft is supported by the throwout bearing in the front and a single roller bearing in the rear.

That is exactly what I wrote. One roller bearing on the input shaft.

Get notified of new replies

To driveshaft has a slight wobble

Old 02-04-2016, 01:20 PM
thbwlZ
Racer

Thanks

Bill

Hey Bill,

CHECK THIS OUT.

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...ndbuilt-2.html

post #26 is a video of the hand build LT4 and LS7, current procedure.
timestamp 8:56 shows the hot balance, and balance weights. Notice the entire engine ins in the balance stand, WITH BOTH the flywheel and pressure plate installed.

Yet, there will still be people who won't believe it is done.
Old 02-04-2016, 02:23 PM
01silvercoupe
Instructor

That is exactly what I wrote. One roller bearing on the input shaft.
Woops, missread it. I thought you meant at the rear of the driveshaft. I guess since the shaft felt so solid in the torque tube (no side to side play) I figured that pilot bearing wasn't much of any additional support. Everything is probably ok and I'm just nit picking. I'll get the pilot bearing replaced this weekend and hopefully that helps.
Old 02-04-2016, 02:24 PM
01silvercoupe
Instructor

PS: when I CAPITALIZE words, I am not yelling, I'm just trying to highlight important sections. So as not to tick anyone off.
I gotcha

Last edited by 01silvercoupe; 02-04-2016 at 02:24 PM.

Quick Reply: driveshaft has a slight wobble