C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

C5 6 speed R&R question

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2016, 10:39 PM
mpryan
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default C5 6 speed R&R question

Hi. I'm going to swap my transmission this weekend and had a question.
Car is a 97 with 6speed.
My question is can I unbolt the trans from the torque tube and just drop the cradle with the trans, leaving the torque tube in the car.

Thanks in advance for your help
Mike
Old 01-06-2016, 12:48 AM
Last C5
Safety Car

Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts

Sure.

Last edited by Last C5; 01-06-2016 at 12:49 AM.
Old 01-06-2016, 01:10 AM
neutron82
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,261 Likes on 1,056 Posts
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (performance mods)
C5 of Year Winner (performance mods) 2019

sure can but you will still need to remove your midpipe, tunnel plate, and if you have headers you might have to drop those... you don't have to totally remove them but they will need to hang down and out of the way so that you can lower the rear suspension enough for the trans/diff to clear the tub
Old 01-06-2016, 11:28 AM
Bill Curlee
Tech Contributor

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,182 Likes on 1,585 Posts
CI 6,7,8,9,11 Vet
St. Jude Donor '08

YES!! That's how I do all my drive train work.. I pull the DIFF/TRANS as an assembly and work on it at the bench.

NOTE!

- The drivetrain can ONLY BE TILTED DOWN a specific deg. If you drop it down too far the intake manifold will make hard contact with the windshield cowl and either crack the cowl or damage the manifold. There's a small warning label/sticker on the rear of the tunnel (passengers side) that gives the specific angle!

- Make sure that you REPLACE the large O ring between the TRANS and DIFF with a NEW ONE or you will get a 90 weight lube oil leak!!

-Replace the differential output shaft seals with new seals while you are down this far. I would also replace the differential case vent on top of the case as they are known for sticking shut and causing leakage issues at the seals.

- You have to remove the Tunnel Plate to drop the drive train down and to access the shift rod. Good time to: 1, Install a remote bleeder on the slave cylinder. 2, install a C6 Tunnel plate (there much better than the C5 plate) or spring for an aluminum 3/16
plate.

Bill

Last edited by Bill Curlee; 01-06-2016 at 11:32 AM.
The following users liked this post:
mpryan (01-11-2016)
Old 01-06-2016, 11:48 AM
CamminC5
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 48 Likes on 46 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15-'16-'17-'18

Watch those brake lines attached to the cradle (especially since your EBCM is back there too). Some are in hard spots to see.

Don't break loose the cradle bolts with an impact. The other side of the bolt isn't accessible and the force of the impact will break the securing device making your life hell for reassembly.
Old 01-06-2016, 09:03 PM
mpryan
Instructor

Originally Posted by Bill Curlee
YES!! That's how I do all my drive train work.. I pull the DIFF/TRANS as an assembly and work on it at the bench.

NOTE!

- The drivetrain can ONLY BE TILTED DOWN a specific deg. If you drop it down too far the intake manifold will make hard contact with the windshield cowl and either crack the cowl or damage the manifold. There's a small warning label/sticker on the rear of the tunnel (passengers side) that gives the specific angle!

- Make sure that you REPLACE the large O ring between the TRANS and DIFF with a NEW ONE or you will get a 90 weight lube oil leak!!

-Replace the differential output shaft seals with new seals while you are down this far. I would also replace the differential case vent on top of the case as they are known for sticking shut and causing leakage issues at the seals.

- You have to remove the Tunnel Plate to drop the drive train down and to access the shift rod. Good time to: 1, Install a remote bleeder on the slave cylinder. 2, install a C6 Tunnel plate (there much better than the C5 plate) or spring for an aluminum 3/16
plate.

Bill
Thanks Bill for the reply. I as wondering which end of the shift rod to undo. Sounds like after I get the cradle dropped down a little I undo it at the shifter pulling it out with the cradle leaving the torque tube in the car still attached to the engine
Thanks again. Mike
Old 01-06-2016, 09:31 PM
CamminC5
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 48 Likes on 46 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15-'16-'17-'18

You'll have to remove the shifter from the tube (from inside the car). You won't be able to get the roll pin out that attaches the linkage to the transmission until you get the trans on the floor.
The following users liked this post:
mpryan (01-11-2016)
Old 01-11-2016, 11:27 AM
tandt
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Why wouldn't you check/change the clutch while you had access?
Old 01-11-2016, 11:50 AM
mpryan
Instructor

Originally Posted by tandt
Why wouldn't you check/change the clutch while you had access?
Because I put a new one in last summer. This job was to put a z06 trans in.
I did the swap over this past weekend. Leaving the torque tube in the car worked out great. Thanks to all that gave advice
Old 01-21-2016, 01:56 AM
forbiddenvette
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I just pulled my transaxle out last night from my 05C6. What a nightmare the shift shaft was with having to deal with the cradle studs/guide pins. I'm going to drill and tap for a machine shoulder bolt (like Euro cars) that way the steps will be:
Remove exhaust portion
Decon E-brake cables
Unplug harness connections
Brake pipes
Lower shock mounts
Upper control arm mounts
Pop axles
Diff mounts
Sway bar links calipers
support TT on stand
remove cradle as whole
Unbolt trans from TT
put in 3rd gear

Split case slightly to (unscrew shoulder bolt)
remove transaxle

No center console , mufflers or TT plate removal nessasary
No cracking intakes or firewalls

1 hour labor if you're a member of the MasterWrenchCrue'

Get notified of new replies

To C5 6 speed R&R question

Quick Reply: C5 6 speed R&R question