C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dexcool flushed and replaced today - very cool process used by dealer

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2002, 10:32 PM
jnsfeeney
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dexcool flushed and replaced today - very cool process used by dealer

Had my '97s coolant flushed/refilled today. It was time - 5 yrs but only 28k miles. I will do every 2-3 years from now on. I actually let my local dealer do this since it did not require putting car on lift and they were talking up some new equipment they use. They use a coolant 'transfusion' system whereby fresh coolant is pumped into the system while the old coolant is siphoned out by same machine. Pretty slick since it guarantees all old coolant is removed from block, water pump, etc (not just radiator & overflow tank). Labor only $48 - well worth it every 2-3 years and nearly foolproof by the dealer mechanics. Mechanic let me observe - nice clean job. Just thought I'd pass on. By the way, if you do this bring your own distilled water as dealer put regular tap water in the mix (I assumed distilled until I asked - at that time it was too late).........
Old 08-27-2002, 01:17 AM
bparker
Melting Slicks

Default Re: Dexcool flushed and replaced today - very cool process used by dealer (jnsfeeney)

:cool:
Old 08-27-2002, 12:23 PM
redriverjohn
Pro

Default Re: Dexcool flushed and replaced today - very cool process used by dealer (jnsfeeney)

That brings an interesting question to my mind. Does the factory use distilled water when filling the cooling system, or whatever comes out of Bowling Green's municipal water line tap?
Old 08-27-2002, 01:12 PM
vettenuts
Team Owner

Received 186 Likes on 169 Posts

Default Re: Dexcool flushed and replaced today - very cool process used by dealer (redriverjohn)

Bowling Green tap water, but I believe it is monitored by GM.
Old 08-27-2002, 04:22 PM
Dual
Instructor

Not to ask a silly question....but how much water should we bring for them to put in? Thanks :)
Old 08-27-2002, 04:34 PM
georgec114
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Very :cool: , but really!...You wait 5 years to change your coolant and
NOW you're concerned with distilled water? :rolleyes:

...GeorgeC
Old 08-27-2002, 10:02 PM
luvinc5
Melting Slicks

Default Re: Dexcool flushed and replaced today - very cool process used by dealer (georgec114)

I ran across the coolant flush/fill machine at a dealership back in June for my daily driver. I was interested until I heard the 'new' coolant was recycled Dexcool. Did your dealer also use recycled Dexcool coolant?
Old 08-27-2002, 10:42 PM
Mike Mercury
Team Owner

Received 173 Likes on 107 Posts

Default Re: Dexcool flushed and replaced today - very cool process used by dealer (luvinc5)

Mechanic let me observe
sounds like a shop that has pride in their work :cheers:
Old 08-27-2002, 11:20 PM
jnsfeeney
Advanced

Default Re: Dexcool flushed and replaced today - very cool process used by dealer (georgec114)

Let me clarify - I bought this car about 4 mos ago - 1997 6 speed w/24k miles after selling my C4 w/140k miles. Since purchase, I am ensuring all maintenance is straight. Given the 5 yr/150k mile interval per owner's manual, this was one of the last items I addressed. After hearing Dexcool horror stories, I'll be sure to change every 2-3 yrs. By the way, the old coolant looked pretty good....
Old 08-27-2002, 11:23 PM
jnsfeeney
Advanced

Default Re: Dexcool flushed and replaced today - very cool process used by dealer (luvinc5)

Used coolant??? No way (that's disturbing if true given even their comments on risks of letting it 'get thick' on you). Dealer used brand new - watched him open each new container.
Old 08-27-2002, 11:40 PM
akw408
Burning Brakes

Let me clarify - I bought this car about 4 mos ago - 1997 6 speed w/24k miles after selling my C4 w/140k miles. Since purchase, I am ensuring all maintenance is straight. Given the 5 yr/150k mile interval per owner's manual, this was one of the last items I addressed. After hearing Dexcool horror stories, I'll be sure to change every 2-3 yrs. By the way, the old coolant looked pretty good....
What horror stories?
Old 08-28-2002, 06:31 AM
vettenuts
Team Owner

Received 186 Likes on 169 Posts

Default Re: Dexcool flushed and replaced today - very cool process used by dealer (akw408)

There were a number of problems with Dexcool filled cars over the years. GM and Texaco presented a joint paper at a symposium a couple of years ago with their findings. Basically, it was a low coolant issue brought about by several factors. Just make sure your coolant is properly filled and you will be fine. Don't overfill the C% or you can damage the tank if the cap isn't working properly.
Old 08-28-2002, 08:28 AM
chuck1026
Le Mans Master

Received 14 Likes on 6 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

Default Re: Dexcool flushed and replaced today - very cool process used by dealer (vettenuts)

The Dex-Cool issues of the past seem to have been vehicle-dependent. My 1996 S-Blazer (and enough other S-trucks to generate a TSB) had the coolant go South. My truck was 4 years old and had 30-something thousand miles on the clock. Basically, the coolant precipitated a salt out of itself (GM says from high heat) and turned to a "muddy" color.

This salt can clog up the heater core and radiator. I haven't heard of any C5 issues with the coolant. Just keep an eye on the stuff... if it changes from pink to brown, your coolant is probably breaking down.

The dealer back flushed the system at GM's expense (that is a whole other story).
Old 08-28-2002, 08:36 AM
Mark S.
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Re: Dexcool flushed and replaced today - very cool process used by dealer (chuck1026)

I will wait until I get four years on the Dexcool before I take her in for a flush and fill...by then I will have a whopping 16K miles on her. I used to go every two years on the '94 (green coolant)...but with Dexcool you can double the amount of time easily.
Old 08-28-2002, 09:09 AM
Tom/99
Team Owner

Received 128 Likes on 96 Posts

:cool:

Get notified of new replies

To Dexcool flushed and replaced today - very cool process used by dealer

Quick Reply: Dexcool flushed and replaced today - very cool process used by dealer