C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

C5 Mods from Lowes

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2002, 11:50 AM
Snafu
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default C5 Mods from Lowes

Installed the hurst (self explanotory). Love it. Used the flapper from a toilet (yes a new one :smash: ) cut the plastic flange around it off and slid it down the shifter shaft...dampens vibration much like the small rubber boot on the base of the stock shifter...cost $1.19.

Installed the Frost King Duct insulation for noise/temp insulation. Did the entire interior, hatch, both passenger cabins, and tunnel. (see this link for the install http://mikemercury.home.att.net/sound.htm ...this is where I got the idea). Took alot of time, about 8 hours, but well worth it. I can actually drive at 75mph on the highway and talk in a conversational tone!!! :D

Cost = 5 rolls@ $15/roll

Let me know if anyone else has tried this. If you haven't, and you have a free day on the weekend it's worth it for $75 bucks. My advice is get at least one buddy to help you out with it.
Old 08-26-2002, 12:23 PM
Shag Finger
Burning Brakes

Default Re: C5 Mods from Lowes (TakeAll8)

Hey that is awesome. I am really thinking about doing that on my convertible, maybe starting with the cabin then the truck if needed.

Have you tried or heard of the heat shield that is being offered at a site that I cant seem to mention here? Its a bit expensive and was wondering if its worth it in addition to your mod.

[Modified by **** Finger, 4:26 PM 8/26/2002]
Old 08-26-2002, 12:27 PM
SAXN8R
Melting Slicks

I wonder how much weight this ads to the car? I know I am being ****, but isn't this why GM left this out in the first place? Or, was it the almighty $$$?
Old 08-26-2002, 12:37 PM
Patches
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 890 Likes on 588 Posts

Default Re: C5 Mods from Lowes (SAXN8R)

Corey, Mike Mercury states the weight per roll as 3 lbs. He used 5 rolls for a total of a 15 lb. increase in weight. Pretty insignificant for such a large improvement in heat and sound insulation, I'd say.

I plan on doing this in the near future as well. :cheers:

I'd like to once again tip my hat to Tim (Mike Mercury) for his contributions via his web site and posts. His attention to detail is highly appreciated. :flag
Old 08-26-2002, 12:48 PM
carpe dm
Le Mans Master

Received 36 Likes on 35 Posts

I did this project some time ago, including the fender well spray job. Did a good job on the noise level, but will try to find a better heat reflector to use on the tunnel next time. :)
Old 08-26-2002, 12:49 PM
SAXN8R
Melting Slicks

Default Re: C5 Mods from Lowes (Patches)

That is very little weight. I could stand to lose double that off my ****! :lol: How much of a difference in sound does it make? I want it to be caddilac quiet! :yesnod:

Corey
Old 08-26-2002, 02:04 PM
Snafu
Racer

Default Re: C5 Mods from Lowes (SAXN8R)

**** Finger-- I've heard of that heat shield, but isn't it a couple hundred$ ?Too much IMO.

SAXN8R--It's really light...no worries there...there isn't much out there that is lighter

Carpe DM--I didn't do the spray in the fender well, I've heard of putting standard (fiberglass) insulation in there but I'm not touching that right now. As for heat, this stuff is rated up to 200 degrees, I covered the whole tunnel when I had the console out. Seems to have a really good effect. Mike Mercury talks about using "Reflectix" for this and I've seen it done on others. Reflectix is not self adhesive though, so you could have some trouble with it.

Well it's not "Cadillac Quite" but compared to "stock" it's a fairly dramatic difference. My buddy and I got in when we were done took off. We were talking about it, and tryin to listen for the difference. He says, yeah it helped some, but...then we realized we were actually speaking at a normal volume. I dropped his azz home and popped in a cd...much more clarity and I could here parts of the song I'd never heard before.

I also learned the value of the heat insulation...on the way home my girlfriend calls and asks me to bring home some dinner. I stop off at Bojangles and realize that I don't want fried chicken anywhere near the front seats so I stick the box in the center storage well in the hatch. I drive home (a good 1/2 hour drive), open the rear compartment and whooosshh I get hit with the heat from the chicken!! :lol: The chicken was just as hot as it was when I bought it!!!

Moral of the story, you can earn money delivering chicken to counter the installation costs!
Old 08-26-2002, 02:11 PM
Shag Finger
Burning Brakes

Yeah it is like $300 and change but if it does the trick then its worth it to me.

On a side note I do notice that right now my deep well in the back gets hot now without any insulation. I can bring the chicken home any night :D
Old 08-26-2002, 02:16 PM
Snafu
Racer

Default Re: C5 Mods from Lowes (**** Finger)

You can probably get the same results with $15, some spare time, and a little elbow grease. (The reflectix material is rated to higher temps and is found in the building materials section of Home Depot and Lowes; "Reflectix" is the brand name http://www.reflectixinc.com

Well, if you add the insulation you can buy it raw and cook it on the way home :D :D :D :D

[Modified by TakeAll8, 6:21 PM 8/26/2002]
Old 08-26-2002, 06:06 PM
bparker
Melting Slicks

Excellent Idea! :cheers:
Old 08-26-2002, 06:26 PM
C5Noir
Safety Car

Default Re: C5 Mods from Lowes (bparker)

Let me see a pic of this flapper to dampen the shifter. Thanks.
Old 08-26-2002, 06:55 PM
Wolf1171
Le Mans Master

Location: Winter Jam I and II Veteran, Bahama Jam 2005 Veteran
CI 4, 5, 7, 9 & 10 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '03-'05-'06-'08

Default Re: C5 Mods from Lowes (C5Noir)

This is a great mod and not to much cash either, especially for the quiet ride. I am going to try this out next month.

Old 08-26-2002, 07:04 PM
geekracer
Melting Slicks

Very nice job & pics. :cheers:
Old 08-26-2002, 10:16 PM
Snafu
Racer

Default Re: C5 Mods from Lowes (C5Noir)

I'll get a pic for you...just got to find one first. I don't know how to post it but I'll email it to you. (I do realize it's kinda hard to imagine).
Old 08-26-2002, 10:32 PM
ScreaminDemon
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

A flapper from a toilet? :lol: Did you get the handle too? You could replace your gearshifter with the handle, and flush the competition!!! :lol: :lol: :jester
I'm just playin"! That's a great idea to keep costs down. :cheers:
Old 08-26-2002, 11:06 PM
GraveDigger
Pro

Looks like you did a really nice job. When can you come do mine. :yesnod:

Get notified of new replies

To C5 Mods from Lowes

Quick Reply: C5 Mods from Lowes