C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

MAF location with Vararam VR-B2

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2015, 09:34 AM
CaseyJones
Melting Slicks

Received 33 Likes on 32 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15-'16
Default MAF location with Vararam VR-B2

I've read several conflicting reports so I need some real-world experience. I installed a new VR-B2 and Power Duct on my 2002 Z06. It was a little bit of a headache and somewhat confusing, especially when it was time to install the Power Duct. The supplied tubing seemed to be too large in diameter and in odd lengths which required trimming plus the clamps were far too large.

That said, I got it installed and it looks pretty good. However, I've read about possibly moving the MAF up next to the intake. On my car there does not seem to be enough space between the duct and throttle body to put it.

What is your experience with this? Is there some benefit to moving it from the stock location? If you moved it, how did you make it fit?

Last edited by CaseyJones; 09-15-2015 at 09:37 AM.
Old 09-15-2015, 09:48 AM
73Corvette
Le Mans Master

Received 464 Likes on 374 Posts

Originally Posted by CaseyJones
I've read several conflicting reports so I need some real-world experience. I installed a new VR-B2 and Power Duct on my 2002 Z06. It was a little bit of a headache and somewhat confusing, especially when it was time to install the Power Duct. The supplied tubing seemed to be too large in diameter and in odd lengths which required trimming plus the clamps were far too large.

That said, I got it installed and it looks pretty good. However, I've read about possibly moving the MAF up next to the intake. On my car there does not seem to be enough space between the duct and throttle body to put it.

What is your experience with this? Is there some benefit to moving it from the stock location? If you moved it, how did you make it fit?
If you move the MAF closer to the Throttle body it can cause excessive turbulence and throw codes...
When I talked with Chuck CoW about tuning our car he recommended the stock air duct, and the MAF in the stock location.

Do you have after market heads, cam, or are you boosted?

Either way AFTER you get everything sealed up and ready to go... DO about a 30 minute casual drive around and let the computer calibrate changes for the NEW air... should keep you from getting any codes...

Last edited by 73Corvette; 09-15-2015 at 10:01 AM.
The following users liked this post:
CaseyJones (09-15-2015)
Old 09-15-2015, 10:33 AM
CaseyJones
Melting Slicks

St. Jude Donor '15-'16

My car is totally stock. The VR-B2 is my first mod. I'm seriously considering a tune, but doing without the car for the time it takes to send off the computer is a problem at the moment. I did read about letting it idle for two minutes and then driving casually for a period of time to let the computer recalibrate. You answered my question as I suspected. Thanks!
Old 09-15-2015, 11:05 AM
jjc508520
Melting Slicks

Received 387 Likes on 287 Posts

My install went OK - as part of this I also did the flip-tie-mod (flip air cleaner upside down to breathe through hole cut in shroud) - then immediately took it to ECS for a tune. While it was there they "fine-tuned" the fittings up front at the air cleaner and also installed an LSX catch can. I've not had any issues since getting it back.
Attached Images  
Old 09-15-2015, 11:11 AM
73Corvette
Le Mans Master

Received 464 Likes on 374 Posts

Originally Posted by jjc508520
My install went OK - as part of this I also did the flip-tie-mod (flip air cleaner upside down to breathe through hole cut in shroud) - then immediately took it to ECS for a tune. While it was there they "fine-tuned" the fittings up front at the air cleaner and also installed an LSX catch can. I've not had any issues since getting it back.
Are there NO clamps on the front of the Power duct?
Old 09-15-2015, 11:30 AM
Pounder
1/4 mile/AutoX
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,082 Likes on 1,635 Posts

I installed the Vararam and power duct at the same time,I moved the MAF next to the throttle body also !!!!! I had no issues and very noticeable power increases !!! Doug at ECS recommends a tune with the Vararam !!!

I have since installed LS 6 intake and headers with a ECS tune !!!

Last edited by Pounder; 09-15-2015 at 12:17 PM.
Old 09-15-2015, 11:32 AM
neutron82
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,261 Likes on 1,056 Posts
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (performance mods)
C5 of Year Winner (performance mods) 2019

My car is totally stock. The VR-B2 is my first mod. I'm seriously considering a tune, but doing without the car for the time it takes to send off the computer is a problem at the moment. I did read about letting it idle for two minutes and then driving casually for a period of time to let the computer recalibrate. You answered my question as I suspected. Thanks!
why not just take it to a local tuner?... I don't understand why mail tunes are so popular these days
Old 09-15-2015, 11:33 AM
neutron82
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by akapounder
I installed the Vararam and power duck at the same time,I moved the MAF next to the throttle body also !!!!! I had no issues and very noticeable power increases !!!
quack quack, sorry I had to
Pounder (09-15-2015)
Old 09-15-2015, 11:41 AM
DOUG @ ECS
Premium Supporting Vendor

Location: Providing the most proven supercharger kits for your C5/6/7 609-752-0321
Received 1,090 Likes on 658 Posts

Originally Posted by neutron82
why not just take it to a local tuner?... I don't understand why mail tunes are so popular these days
Because there is a thread in C5 scan and tune section with over 1,200 posts and nearly 130,000 views with some pretty good results for only $149.

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...nly-149-a.html
Old 09-15-2015, 12:18 PM
Pounder
1/4 mile/AutoX
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,082 Likes on 1,635 Posts

quack quack, sorry I had to
it's hell sometimes over 60
Old 09-15-2015, 12:42 PM
peteinpa
Burning Brakes

Received 159 Likes on 105 Posts

I installed the Vararam intake and the PD on my 2000. I moved the MAF as per the instructions. Happy with the result, no codes or problems since the install about 6 weeks ago.
Old 09-15-2015, 12:50 PM
0Chuck CoW
Former Vendor

Received 243 Likes on 183 Posts
St. Jude Donor '07-'08-'09-'10-'12-'13-'14

Default Sometimes.....

Sometimes..... The MAF will go up front... and when using the Powerduct, the MAF seems to fit better

up by the throttle body.

I think it also has to do with what generation of the B2 and Powerduct you have.

There is not really a wrong way, but I prefer the MAF up front on the B2 unit.

Really depends on how it fits together best with the parrts you have on hand.

We usually have lots of extra red rings and such here to make it go however we want.

After you're done, make sure to have the tune looked at or give us a call for our AutoCal Tuning Package that

will guarantee that it's running PERFECT!

Thank you.
Chuck CoW
Old 09-15-2015, 02:06 PM
jjc508520
Melting Slicks

Received 387 Likes on 287 Posts

Originally Posted by 73Corvette
Are there NO clamps on the front of the Power duct?
As I mentioned - ECS "buttoned up" the installation
Old 09-16-2015, 10:22 AM
CaseyJones
Melting Slicks

St. Jude Donor '15-'16

I live in the wilds of the NC mountains. I don't know if anyone within reasonable driving distance even knows that a "tune" is other than something you pick on a guitar. Not insulting my neighbors, but just a fact of life.
Old 09-16-2015, 10:25 AM
CaseyJones
Melting Slicks

St. Jude Donor '15-'16

Originally Posted by Chuck CoW
Sometimes..... The MAF will go up front... and when using the Powerduct, the MAF seems to fit better

up by the throttle body.

I think it also has to do with what generation of the B2 and Powerduct you have.

There is not really a wrong way, but I prefer the MAF up front on the B2 unit.

Really depends on how it fits together best with the parrts you have on hand.

We usually have lots of extra red rings and such here to make it go however we want.

After you're done, make sure to have the tune looked at or give us a call for our AutoCal Tuning Package that

will guarantee that it's running PERFECT!

Thank you.
Chuck CoW
I know what you are saying, but mine seemed to fit so close that I don't know if my MAF would come close to fitting at the throttle body, much less getting a red ring on either side.
Old 09-16-2015, 12:35 PM
neutron82
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

I live in the wilds of the NC mountains. I don't know if anyone within reasonable driving distance even knows that a "tune" is other than something you pick on a guitar. Not insulting my neighbors, but just a fact of life.
that's understandable, we have lots of people messing with these cars in texas so I forget that it isn't the same in every other state... I think it's better to have the tune done in person if possible, they can work out any bugs right then and there to make sure you are satisfied... I have personally seen too many issues with mail tunes and besides that your car will be down for around a week waiting for it to get done... and hope it gets done right the first time because if something gets missed then you will be down again while you send it in to have more changes made... it just isn't very practical in my opinion
Old 09-16-2015, 12:51 PM
grantv
Le Mans Master

Received 535 Likes on 491 Posts

that's understandable, we have lots of people messing with these cars in texas so I forget that it isn't the same in every other state... I think it's better to have the tune done in person if possible, they can work out any bugs right then and there to make sure you are satisfied... I have personally seen too many issues with mail tunes and besides that your car will be down for around a week waiting for it to get done... and hope it gets done right the first time because if something gets missed then you will be down again while you send it in to have more changes made... it just isn't very practical in my opinion
Kelowna BC.
Mail order tune; car down for ~2 weeks, around $150
Tune in shop; car down for one day, around $1000 (quoted $500 base, then add $150/hour at 3-5 hours)
Hm, yep, seems like sending PCM in for a tune during winter makes sense.

Get notified of new replies

To MAF location with Vararam VR-B2

Old 09-16-2015, 01:56 PM
0Chuck CoW
Former Vendor

Received 243 Likes on 183 Posts
St. Jude Donor '07-'08-'09-'10-'12-'13-'14

Default There is another way.....

Originally Posted by grantv
Kelowna BC.
Mail order tune; car down for ~2 weeks, around $150
Tune in shop; car down for one day, around $1000 (quoted $500 base, then add $150/hour at 3-5 hours)
Hm, yep, seems like sending PCM in for a tune during winter makes sense.
There is another way..... Shipping PCMs for C5 is outdated and it's at best a one shot deal....

CLICK HERE FOR A BETTER WAY TO REMOTE TUNE.

Our AutoCal device will take care of all your concerns and is a much better idea....

Call any time.
Chuck CoW
CaseyJones (09-16-2015)
Old 09-16-2015, 02:00 PM
neutron82
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

$1000 is ridiculous for a tune, especially a for a bolt-ons car... if it were a brand new fully built setup with boost and nitrous where the tuner is starting from scratch then yeah I could see a grand being reasonable but for a simple i/h/e it shouldn't be anywhere near that... most shops in my area charge around $500 for a tune, some a little less... personally I would rather pay a little more, have it done right, and be out enjoying the car instead of waiting, and waiting, and waiting... I have done my fair share of that and it sucks... I also forget that we don't have real winters in texas like many other states do
Old 09-16-2015, 02:36 PM
CaseyJones
Melting Slicks

St. Jude Donor '15-'16

Originally Posted by Chuck CoW
There is another way..... Shipping PCMs for C5 is outdated and it's at best a one shot deal....

CLICK HERE FOR A BETTER WAY TO REMOTE TUNE.

Our AutoCal device will take care of all your concerns and is a much better idea....

Call any time.
Chuck CoW
Thanks! I will.

Quick Reply: MAF location with Vararam VR-B2