C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Weird Intake Question...

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2015, 08:25 PM
Forrest_H
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Weird Intake Question...

Hey everyone!

I'm looking to get a new intake setup for my '99, as the stock air box is just broken (Latches are failing, doesn't sit right), and I'm looking to add a tiny bit of HP while I'm at it

I've ruled out systems like the Callaway Honker (as much as I want it...) and the Vararam, as this is my daily driver, and I don't want to do anything too crazy. I'm looking specifically at the Airaid, SLP Blackwing, and open air filters like that. I don't really want to do the Zip-Tie mod, as it was the cause of my broken air box

My question for you guys is this: Am I going to need to worry about water coming in if it's raining?

I apologize if this is a dumb question or if it's been answered, but google wasn't pulling much up. I'd really just like to know before I pull the trigger.

TL;DR: Will an open air filter in the rain soak up water?

Thanks guys!
Old 08-12-2015, 09:43 PM
bjones7131
Safety Car

Received 845 Likes on 592 Posts

I too wanted more air but nothing crazy so i consideed a z06 box, it has a bigger opening for more air but ended up drilling 10,
3/4" holes in my stock box at random locations. This gave me a lot more air intake and still maintained the stock original look. I installed the hood seal as a precaution for water injestion, i have driven through some real hard rainstorms with no issues. You can pick up a used z06 box fairly cheap, 40-50 bucks and if u still want more air drill holes like i did without breaking the bank. Good luck
Old 08-12-2015, 10:28 PM
wamara
Le Mans Master

Received 38 Likes on 28 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

Forrest,
I've had a Blackwing on one of my cars for years with no problems. I left the radiator shroud intact, and I put a seal along the leading edge of the hood. HTH.
Old 08-12-2015, 10:30 PM
LoneStarFRC
Team Owner

Received 226 Likes on 213 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16

Install a Blackwing and be done with it.
Old 08-13-2015, 12:17 AM
Vetteman Jack
Administrator

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: In a parallel universe. Currently own 2014 Stingray Coupe.
Received 19,430 Likes on 14,046 Posts
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
MO Events Coordinator
St. Jude Co-Organizer
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-
'20-'21-'22-'23-'24
NCM Sinkhole Donor
CI 5, 8 & 11 Veteran

I've run a Blackwing on my last two C5s and like it a lot. Easy install, no codes and a bit better performance than stock.
Old 08-13-2015, 05:29 AM
Forrest_H
Advanced

Originally Posted by bjones7131
I too wanted more air but nothing crazy so i consideed a z06 box, it has a bigger opening for more air but ended up drilling 10,
3/4" holes in my stock box at random locations. This gave me a lot more air intake and still maintained the stock original look. I installed the hood seal as a precaution for water injestion, i have driven through some real hard rainstorms with no issues. You can pick up a used z06 box fairly cheap, 40-50 bucks and if u still want more air drill holes like i did without breaking the bank. Good luck
Hmm, never considered that option! Might just look into that. Thanks Mr. Jones!

Originally Posted by wamara
Forrest,
I've had a Blackwing on one of my cars for years with no problems. I left the radiator shroud intact, and I put a seal along the leading edge of the hood. HTH.
Excellent news! I was already looking into the seal, too. Thank you sir!

Originally Posted by LoneStarFRC
Install a Blackwing and be done with it.
I'd really like to grab both the Blackwing and the Airaid and see if there's any real difference on the dyno, but my current funds wouldn't really permit that I do need to stop speculating and just grab one, though. Thanks!

Originally Posted by Vetteman Jack
I've run a Blackwing on my last two C5s and like it a lot. Easy install, no codes and a bit better performance than stock.
Awesome news to hear Jack. Good to know that it shouldn't throw me any codes (unless I royally screw up).

Thank you guys so much for the quick replies! Looks like a new air filter will be on it's way soon!
Old 08-13-2015, 09:26 AM
Gordy M
Melting Slicks

Received 316 Likes on 271 Posts

Unless you bring in outside ambient air you will not make and meaningful HP gains. The systems you mention all pick up engine bay heated air, however a Blackwing or Donaldson type air intake may help with some intermediate HP gains. When GM was testing the Z06 air box to the standard c5 intake the found almost 2 hp gain but better intermediate response and adjusted the calibration as a result.
Old 08-13-2015, 05:16 PM
73Corvette
Le Mans Master

Received 464 Likes on 374 Posts

I've had a Vararam on for over a year now and have driven in some very heavy down pours... 4" in one hour a few weeks ago near Jonesboro Ark...drove for nearly 5 hours in heavy rain on a trip to Texas and the car has never sputtered or coughed one time...
I am careful to NOT drive into STANDING water, that may come up to the intakes... then your just asking for Hydro Lock...
The Vararam does NOT suck in rain......
IF the water is DEEP enough for the Vararam to suck it up and Hydro Lock... you'd probably be in DEEP enough water to flood your PCM also...

Last edited by 73Corvette; 08-13-2015 at 05:19 PM.
Old 08-13-2015, 05:26 PM
Forrest_H
Advanced

Originally Posted by Gordy M
Unless you bring in outside ambient air you will not make and meaningful HP gains. The systems you mention all pick up engine bay heated air, however a Blackwing or Donaldson type air intake may help with some intermediate HP gains. When GM was testing the Z06 air box to the standard c5 intake the found almost 2 hp gain but better intermediate response and adjusted the calibration as a result.
That makes sense, with my little knowledge of how cold-air intakes work. I would very much like to install a system that would draw air from my useless fog light covers (FRC so no actual fog lights ), but I think that's going to be further down the road of my ownership, when funds and time permit

Thanks so much Gordy, I really appreciate your input.

Originally Posted by 73Corvette
I've had a Vararam on for over a year now and have driven in some very heavy down pours... 4" in one hour a few weeks ago near Jonesboro Ark...drove for nearly 5 hours in heavy rain on a trip to Texas and the car has never sputtered or coughed one time...
I am careful to NOT drive into STANDING water, that may come up to the intakes... then your just asking for Hydro Lock...
Well, crap. Now I'm actually considering a Vararam...

The Plug & Play Filters (So to speak) are my best option at this point, as I've got a failing clutch slave, musical obligations, and college looming on the horizon, but I am hoping to pick up either the Vararam or the Honker after I've come into a less hectic situation.

Thank you so much for the reassurance sir!

Thank you all of you guys putting in your input! It's heavily appreciated.
Old 08-13-2015, 07:52 PM
73Corvette
Le Mans Master

Received 464 Likes on 374 Posts

Originally Posted by Forrest_H
That makes sense, with my little knowledge of how cold-air intakes work. I would very much like to install a system that would draw air from my useless fog light covers (FRC so no actual fog lights ), but I think that's going to be further down the road of my ownership, when funds and time permit

Thanks so much Gordy, I really appreciate your input.

Well, crap. Now I'm actually considering a Vararam...

The Plug & Play Filters (So to speak) are my best option at this point, as I've got a failing clutch slave, musical obligations, and college looming on the horizon, but I am hoping to pick up either the Vararam or the Honker after I've come into a less hectic situation.

Thank you so much for the reassurance sir!

Thank you all of you guys putting in your input! It's heavily appreciated.
Your welcome... I picked up my Vararam B2 for $150 on the C5 for sale section... came with NO instructions and in pieces...It WASN'T that hard to put together... it seems like it's NOT going to fit, till you get to the very end of the install and then everything comes together and fits just fine...just takes some patience and a few time outs. I found it VERY helpful to remove the foglights when I did mine.
Good luck and have fun with it....
Oh Yeah... the Vararam made a feel it in the seat of your pants difference...
Old 08-13-2015, 11:02 PM
Pounder
1/4 mile/AutoX
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,082 Likes on 1,635 Posts

Originally Posted by 73Corvette
IF the water is DEEP enough for the Vararam to suck it up and Hydro Lock... you'd probably be in DEEP enough water to flood your PCM also...
I also have driven in some very heavy rains without a hic-up !!!!
Old 08-14-2015, 10:42 AM
Arnie Chamberlain
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I had a Vararam on my daily driver until I updated it for some real ram air - A&A style.

No issues on a daily. You won't regret a Vararam.

Get notified of new replies

To Weird Intake Question...

Quick Reply: Weird Intake Question...