C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help needed vette died on interstate

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2015, 09:06 PM
wfdlt8
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Help needed vette died on interstate

Was traveling to VA Beach on I-64 and car died doing about 75 Mph on a very bumpy stretch of highway. The gas gauge was reading just a tick under half of a tank. I barely got the car to the right shoulder with out getting run over bye idiot drivers. I tried cranking it over and it was acting like it wasn't getting fuel. After about five minutes of cars zooming bye at 80 plus Mph a VDOT safety truck and State Trooper stopped too assist me. The trooper thought that the fuel pump may have triggered some kind of safety cut off switch from hitting some of the big ruts in the highway due to the milling and paving. We looked and couldn't find any kind of switch. The VDOT guy had some gasoline so I put that in, about 3 gallons and the car started. After adding the fuel the gas Gauge read a little over half of a tank. I drove about 5 miles to a gas station and put about 6.5 gallons in the car and it was full to the top of the filler neck. As I was fueling the car the fuel would only go into the tank very slowly about 10 cent at a time, took me over 15 minutes to get the fuel in the tank. I was thinking that maybe the car vapor locked as the temperature outside was very hot when this happened. Any ideas or suggestions as I need to make a 250 mile drive home in this car Friday.

Last edited by wfdlt8; 07-20-2015 at 09:22 PM. Reason: additional information no codes showing
Old 07-20-2015, 09:10 PM
Sam Handwich
Burning Brakes

Received 108 Likes on 87 Posts

Default first thing we ask around here

Did you pull the codes?
What did you get?
Old 07-20-2015, 09:15 PM
wfdlt8
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

No codes present. Car ran flawless before it happened and after it started back up. I checked again today and no codes present.
Old 07-21-2015, 03:28 AM
RXPX
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It's possible that your passenger side jet syphon pump is failing/clogged. To play it safe, I'd say keep it above half a tank to prevent this from happening until you get it resolved.

There's a lot of info on this issue already.

Has your fuel gauge ever randomly dropped to 'E'?

Here's a link explaining it a lot.

Link

Last edited by RXPX; 07-21-2015 at 03:34 AM.

Get notified of new replies

To Help needed vette died on interstate

Quick Reply: Help needed vette died on interstate