C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How much power can a LS!1 383 naturally aspriated Stroker make?

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2002, 06:50 PM
Mopar Jimmy
Team Owner

Location: Elmhurst, IL (West Suburb of Chicago) & Home of MEGA Horsepower
Received 584 Likes on 399 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06

Default How much power can a LS!1 383 naturally aspriated Stroker make?

Exploring all otpions for my upgrade and the resleeving issues of the superstokers are starting to get me concerned with reliabilty. Assuming the best flowing LS6 heads and radial hydraulic cam and best long tubes, etc., what are the realistic rear wheel horse power and torque numbers i could expect on my 98 A4 with 3.73 gears and large 4000 stall with a 383 stroker upgrade?

Thanks,

Nitrovette:D

[Modified by Nitrovette, 4:51 PM 8/19/2002]
Old 08-19-2002, 07:02 PM
kewlbrz
Le Mans Master

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran
Cruise-In III Veteran

Default Re: How much power can a LS!1 383 naturally aspriated Stroker make? (Nitrovette)

I havnt seen any 383 strokers in a long while, but with currently technology, speculation puts them at around 460+ rwhp.

Obviously an all bore of similar displacement will make more power and rev quicker, be more reliable, and beat a similarly displaced stroker, so that is probably why most are doing that now since there are enough tuners out there they have sleeving down so good now.

I beleive SW's 393 all bore is well over 500 rwhp.
Old 08-19-2002, 08:33 PM
Corvette4ever
Drifting

Received 89 Likes on 76 Posts

Default Re: How much power can a LS!1 383 naturally aspriated Stroker make? (kewlbrz)

[QUOTE]
Obviously an all bore of similar displacement will make more power and rev quicker, be more reliable, ..... since there are enough tuners out there they have sleeving down so good now.
QUOTE]

In which way can an all bore be more reliable? Forget about that piston speed thing & other stuff. Those are all just some theories. I have seen posts of guys running close to 30k miles with their strokers without a problem. I have yet to see half of that mileage on an all bore motor. My car is down for the second time now due to coolant burning problems. I don't think that the extra ~20 hp that an all bore has is worth the risk of having sleeving issues.

and yeah about the resleeving thing, I have searched enough & found that at least 3 "supporting" tuners are still having resleeving issues with their big bore motors. Unfortunately I knew that when it was too late :(
Old 08-19-2002, 08:53 PM
kewlbrz
Le Mans Master

Cruise-In II Veteran
Cruise-In III Veteran

Default Re: How much power can a LS!1 383 naturally aspriated Stroker make? (Corvette4ever)

Sorry about your troubles corvette4ever. From what I have seen here, and on ls1tech.com, the sleeving seems to not be a problem with tuners like ARE and MTI. I didnt know you were having so many problems. Are your sleeves moving in the block?

By saying an all bore is more reliable, I mean by rotating parts, less side load, less stress on the recipricating assembly.

With what you have shown tho, there seems to be still some issues.

I hope you get it squared away.
Old 08-19-2002, 09:30 PM
ApeelinC5
Racer

Default Re: How much power can a LS!1 383 naturally aspriated Stroker make? (Nitrovette)

Nitro, some times you have to stop for a second and take a breath!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:
Old 08-19-2002, 09:59 PM
boweryboy
Melting Slicks

Cruise-In II Veteran

Nitro,

My Vette Doctor's LS1 383 with 3.73's made over 470RWHP and 440RWTQ. That was with a manual 6 speed. I can not notice any diff in rev speed. The thing tachs up pretty quickly!!!
Old 08-19-2002, 10:38 PM
ZZ
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Cruise-In I Veteran
Cruise-In II Veteran
Cruise-In IV Veteran
Cruise-In V Veteran
Cruise-In VII Veteran

I too would estimate seeing above 460 is very likely, that's around 560 engine hp which I think is reasonable to expect. I had an early DRM 383 stroker (no bore), only 420RW numbers then, now the H/C packages are doing better than that. I had 50,000+ miles on it, including the past 20,000 periodically on N20, never a single problem. Mine was very reliable.

ZZ

Get notified of new replies

To How much power can a LS!1 383 naturally aspriated Stroker make?

Quick Reply: How much power can a LS!1 383 naturally aspriated Stroker make?