C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

dry cell, wet cell, gell cell, absorbant glass matt???

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2002, 04:51 AM
voisine
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default dry cell, wet cell, gell cell, absorbant glass matt???

What are the pros and cons of each battery type?
dry cell, wet cell, gell cell, agm?

Which weighs the least? Who has the lightest battery
in their vette? What else should I be concerned about?
Old 08-18-2002, 02:01 PM
carpe dm
Le Mans Master

Received 36 Likes on 35 Posts

Default Re: dry cell, wet cell, gell cell, absorbant glass matt??? (voisine)

The PRO is that the gel and AGM batteries do not leak like the regular acid batteries that GM used to put in the Vette. Can't help you on weight, but do incourage you to get an "Optima-like" battery if you currently have the old liquid acid leaker. :yesnod: :)
Old 08-18-2002, 02:40 PM
redriverjohn
Pro

The new AGM recombinant gas technology batteries have several advantages over the common lead/acid types. The obvious is of course that they don't leak no matter what degree of inclination they encounter. (They are leak & spillproof). They are much more resistant to temperature extremes than conventional batteries and thus carry longer warranties. (The new ACDelco 75P-7YR comes with a 7 year warranty and a 3 year free replacement guarantee). They weigh less than their conventional counterparts. They are much more rigid & resistant to vibration and shock than conventional batteries because of their glass mat separators. Much lower gas emission makes them a lot safer, too. And the price isn't bad. The new ACDelco can be had at most dealers (battery dealers, not Chevrolet dealers!) for between $97.00 - $99.00.
Old 08-18-2002, 08:37 PM
AFVETTE
Team Owner

Received 41 Likes on 28 Posts

Default Re: dry cell, wet cell, gell cell, absorbant glass matt??? (redriverjohn)

I just installed the ACDelco 75P-7YR AGM battery, $135 installed with old battery properly disposed of. Hopefully the last battery I'll need in my 99.

Tom
USAF Retired

Old 08-18-2002, 09:05 PM
redriverjohn
Pro

Default Re: dry cell, wet cell, gell cell, absorbant glass matt??? (AFVETTE)

Yea, I just got one of those, too. I paid $98.45 ($106.33 with tax) and the old battery. Sounded like a good deal compared to what they wanted for an Optima red top. And it came with a great guarantee!
Old 08-18-2002, 09:09 PM
Just4Grins
Instructor

Default Re: dry cell, wet cell, gell cell, absorbant glass matt??? (redriverjohn)

My 2001 came with an AGM which died after less that 18 monthes. I have replaced it with an Optima Red Top. More Cold Cranking Amps, too.
Old 08-18-2002, 09:27 PM
Turbo5
Drifting

Where did you guys get your ACDelco batteries? I need one.

Thanks!

:seeya
Old 08-18-2002, 10:26 PM
redriverjohn
Pro

Default Re: dry cell, wet cell, gell cell, absorbant glass matt??? (Turbo5)

Go to: http://www.acdelco.com I got a list of Delco battery dealers that were located in my area from that site. Then I just called around for the best price and went with that.
Old 08-19-2002, 03:48 PM
lostsoulny
Le Mans Master

thanks this is god info I am thinking of getting one before winter sets in
Old 08-19-2002, 10:43 PM
Turbo5
Drifting

I have a 75P, 7Yr, agm battery on the way. I should be putting it in tomorrow. Do any of you guys have the slightest clue why GM would put the battery on top of the computer? It really seems silly to me.

I got burned on the price, $125, but I just spent $94 on a motorcycle battery so considering that, its not such a bad deal.

$125 vs $1000 plus the bs of having a mechanic under the hood of my car helped me make my decision. I had rather get a new battery and not have to worry about acid on the PCM!

:eek: :eek: :eek:

[Modified by Turbo5, 8:19 AM 8/21/2002]
Old 08-20-2002, 09:41 PM
00FRCBlue
Instructor

The battery in my Honda died on Monday. What an opportunity! I moved the original non-AGM 'vette battery into the Honda (it doesn't leak, and if it does, it won't damage anything). Nobody I tried could get the AGM 75P-7YR (Pep Boys, Autozone, etc.). I had to pay Chevy $140 plus tax. No problem, I wasted 2 hours shopping around. It weighs 35 lbs. and the original weighs 38. The new battery is also about an inch less wide, leaving extra room on the battery tray in my 2000 Hardtop, but it mounts securely. The labeling on the battery is completely different than the AGMs that come standard in newer 'vettes - it reads "Professional Platinum" and makes no mention of AGM anywhere, yet the part number is the same 75P-7YR.

Get notified of new replies

To dry cell, wet cell, gell cell, absorbant glass matt???

Quick Reply: dry cell, wet cell, gell cell, absorbant glass matt???