C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Big cam bad initial idle every time

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2015, 11:45 AM
jglassmaker
Pro

Received 97 Likes on 68 Posts

Originally Posted by Sigforty
Sounds right on par with dyno tuning cost. When you go there make sure and let them know what you are looking for. Communication on your part will help ensure the best tune. I would also ask if there is any warranty per say. Will they do adjustments for x amount of days after the dyno? You want to make sure you can bring it back if it needs some minor tweaking.
Thank you for the suggestions, I will make sure to make it very clear what I want done and my expectations.

They do have a 30 day grace period if the tune needs additional adjustments.
Old 06-26-2015, 11:52 PM
jglassmaker
Pro

So I put in some new spark plugs tonight in preparation for the coming dyno tuning and boy did it wake it up, the o'l butt dyno tightened right up!

Had what I think were original ACDelco iridiums. Put in NGK TR55s. Still doesn't run too well at low RPMs but at least I think the car is ready for a good tune job now
Old 06-27-2015, 07:28 AM
lilgbz28
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Try the ngk tr6 plugs they smoothed my car out a bit. The tr5 I believe are like factory plugs.
Old 06-27-2015, 07:55 AM
robz
Le Mans Master

Received 154 Likes on 111 Posts

Originally Posted by jglassmaker
So I put in some new spark plugs tonight in preparation for the coming dyno tuning and boy did it wake it up, the o'l butt dyno tightened right up!

Had what I think were original ACDelco iridiums. Put in NGK TR55s. Still doesn't run too well at low RPMs but at least I think the car is ready for a good tune job now
You should be good to go. Drive it around after the tune with a tech. It's worth the $ if they do a good job.
Old 07-30-2015, 08:30 AM
KoreaJon
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Any updates?
Old 07-30-2015, 09:49 AM
jglassmaker
Pro

Originally Posted by KoreaJon
Any updates?
Well I got the car back on July 3rd, West Bend Dyno had the car for 4 days. I have put over 1,000 miles of various miles on the car now but I will be taking it back in a few days for more tuning...

They fixed the startup and cleaned up the RPM range (will get the dyno sheet added later). However the car likes to die in reverse, still a ton of cam surge, sometimes neutral rolls around 1,500 RPMs, and sometimes drops to 200 RPMs when taking off easy in 1st. Overall wasn't impressed for a $600 tune but they are willing to do some more tuning beyond their 30 day re-tune policy.
Old 07-30-2015, 09:55 AM
VGLNTE1
Le Mans Master

Received 31 Likes on 29 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14-'15

Well I got the car back on July 3rd, West Bend Dyno had the car for 4 days. I have put over 1,000 miles of various miles on the car now but I will be taking it back in a few days for more tuning...

They fixed the startup and cleaned up the RPM range (will get the dyno sheet added later). However the car likes to die in reverse, still a ton of cam surge, sometimes neutral rolls around 1,500 RPMs, and sometimes drops to 200 RPMs when taking off easy in 1st. Overall wasn't impressed for a $600 tune but they are willing to do some more tuning beyond their 30 day re-tune policy.
A crap tune and charge 600?! That's expensive
Old 07-30-2015, 11:24 PM
Boss75
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Keep taking it back till it drives great. I had mine tuned 3 times. The first time it got much much better than without a tune. 2nd time he fixed up some loss of vacuum problems I was having and 3rd time he fixed it having a hard time on cold starts.

Tuning a car with a huge cam in it takes some time. Don't give up and don't lose hope!
Old 08-01-2015, 08:21 AM
feeder82
Melting Slicks

Received 987 Likes on 626 Posts

Good luck from what i've seen out of that shop you' ll be taking it back alot
Old 08-01-2015, 12:41 PM
Sigforty
Le Mans Master

Received 275 Likes on 232 Posts
Cruise-In IX Veteran

Looking at your start video I would make sure and ask the shop if they adjusted your base idle airflow.
Old 08-02-2015, 12:09 AM
Arnie Chamberlain
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I would suggest calling Late Model Throttle in Waukesha, WI and hope they can get you out of this mess. LMT tuned my supercharged car and it runs and drives like stock (but with 2x the horsepower)

Quick Reply: Big cam bad initial idle every time