C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

C5 2002 Corvette Coupe Turn Signal Issues

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2015, 01:57 PM
IrishJoker
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default C5 2002 Corvette Coupe Turn Signal Issues

For about a year I've been having trouble with my turn signals not working properly, meaning sometimes they work and sometimes they don't. I have the service manuals and I've looked up "Turn Signal Switch", which they refer to as the Turn Signal - Cruise Control stalk on the column. I believe this "Stalk" is only part of the turn signal switch. The other part is the "Hazard Warning" lights switch, which is on the dashboard beside the center air vent. The stalk acts as nothing more than an electrical current router to the Hazard Warning lights electronic module.
So my question if my hypothesis is correct is the following:

Where is the most likely failure point? The stalk or the Turn Signal/Hazard warning module?

How expensive is to extract and replace the Turn Signal/Hazard Warning Module?
Is this a known failure point in the turn signal failure problem?

Here are my reason for thinking that the Hazard Warning module/switch is the culprit.

If I push the Hazard Warning Switch off and on several times the turn signals start working again when I use the directional stalk on the steering column. However if I hit a hard bump in the road I lose my turn signals again. I can't keep doing this every time I want to make a turn in my car, I'm afraid I'm going to get rear-ended.

I'm also running into a semantics issue with my dealership and extended warranty plan. My plan covers a "Turn Signal" but not a Hazard Warning Switch replacement. So....isn't the Hazard Warning Switch also the main turn signal switch?

I guess another question is if the service tech at a dealership understands the relationship between the steering column stalk and the hazard warning module?
Old 06-17-2015, 02:05 PM
RXPX
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey Irish Joker,

I think this might be a simple fix. Do your hazards still work correctly?

Look through the service manual for stalk troubleshooting steps. If it shows the stalk is still good, they'res a way to bypass the hazard module and wire in a 'plug and play' $50 kit. Or you can wire in a $10 Flasher your self. The DIY method requires you to cut 2 wires, strip them enough to crimp female connectors, and connect them to a universal flasher.

Edit: Sorry, I only quickly read through your thread and realized now that you have warranty on the vehicle. So wiring in a universal flasher definitely will not sit well with the techs at the stealership. If turn signal is covered, and the hazard module is in fact a part of the circuit, it should be covered. But like 8VETTE7 says, they're gonna try and tip toe their way into avoiding having to cover it. If they refuse to repair under warranty, the $50 plug and play kit would probably be your best bet.

Last edited by RXPX; 06-17-2015 at 02:17 PM.
Old 06-18-2015, 10:29 AM
lionelhutz
Race Director

Received 845 Likes on 721 Posts

In normal use, ignition power goes to the hazard switch which operates as the flasher relay - the equivalent of the 2-terminal flasher relay you can buy in any parts store.

The "flashing" power goes to the turn signal switch (multi-function switch) in the column which connects the power to the appropriate light bulbs when you turn the signal switch to indicate right or left.

So, the hazard switch can affect the signals in an all-or-nothing manner, which seems to be what you are describing. If the hazard switch acts up then all signal lights act up equally.

I would just spend about $5 at a parts store for a 2 terminal flasher relay and 2 spade connectors and connect that into the car to bypass the hazard switch.
Old 08-10-2015, 12:56 AM
RJ_2000
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need help with wiring details for a C5 flasher/hazard relay

Originally Posted by RXPX
Hey Irish Joker,

They'res a way to bypass the hazard module and wire in a 'plug and play' $50 kit. Or you can wire in a $10 Flasher your self. The DIY method requires you to cut 2 wires, strip them enough to crimp female connectors, and connect them to a universal flasher.
RXPX,

I'd appreciate your help with the wiring details for the flasher/hazard on a C5. I've decided to add the 'lane change'/comfort feature to my C5. I've located a Chinese company on eBay that sells a "1x=3x Flash Universal Indicator Blinker Turn Signal Switch Relay" for $53. I need to interrupt the wires to the left and right turn signals, then just tap into power and ground for the new 3x relay box. It doesn't replace the original flasher relay, just interrupts the existing turn signal wires. If by chance this will only work on the rear lights and not the front turn indicators, I'm OK with that. This mod allows for normal turn signal function when the turn signal switch is fully deployed.

Can you help? Thanks in advance.

Rick
Old 08-10-2015, 09:18 AM
dadaroo
Le Mans Master

Received 290 Likes on 226 Posts

Get notified of new replies

To C5 2002 Corvette Coupe Turn Signal Issues

Quick Reply: C5 2002 Corvette Coupe Turn Signal Issues