C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

lower steering shaft bolt?

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2002, 04:20 AM
QuickSilver2002
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default lower steering shaft bolt?

I just finished my header install and can't seem to find anything in the manual on how the bottom steering shaft bolt goes back on. It's probably there, but I'm tired of looking.
Does anyone know the torque of the bolt and how it should fit? Should it allow the shaft to pivot from side to side a bit or lock it in place? I have the 2002 manuals, so a page number would also be good info.

Thanks for the help!

Old 08-17-2002, 11:47 AM
CarlB
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: lower steering shaft bolt? (QuickSilver2002)

QS2002,
Lower bolt 25 ft/lb. The 'channel' portion of the column must be fully seated, full length, against the shaft of the steering gear before tighten the bolt. Position channel against shaft and squeeze tight with your hand.
Whike you are in there you might want to check the upper bolt, mine was loose and rattled. Upper bolt torque is 35 ft/lb. Your Manual should have info under Steering, Intermediate steering shaft replacement.
Good luck.

[Modified by CarlB, 7:54 AM 8/17/2002]
Old 08-17-2002, 04:57 PM
QuickSilver2002
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: lower steering shaft bolt? (CarlB)

Thanks CarlB,

That helped me find it in the manual. It's all back together now and working great.

Get notified of new replies

To lower steering shaft bolt?

Quick Reply: lower steering shaft bolt?