C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

First oil change for the GM crate motor-should I be concerned?

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2015, 04:18 PM
Armycop
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default First oil change for the GM crate motor-should I be concerned?

This what my magnetic plug looks like after pulling it from the pan:

Chia pet

Notice the hair on top of the plug. Haven't seen the filter yet or examined the oil itself. Should I be concerned? Engine has the 500 break in miles only, but two dyno runs (for tuning).
Old 06-12-2015, 04:32 PM
Bill Curlee
Tech Contributor

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,182 Likes on 1,585 Posts
CI 6,7,8,9,11 Vet
St. Jude Donor '08

Eahhhhhhhh,,,, Even though it LOOKS BAD,,,, I would say that; unless there's big CHUNKS, I wouldn't be too concerned.

On the next oil change, if you see the same collection,, I would start paying attention!

Cut the filter and look for chunks and babbit. If you don't see any, continue to monitor.

Where did you get the engine from???

If it were me, I would send them the picture of the Mag Drain plug and let them comment.

That way, you put the ball in their court.

Bill
Old 06-12-2015, 04:49 PM
Last C5
Safety Car

Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts

[QUOTE=Bill Curlee;Cut the filter and look for chunks and babbit. If you don't see any, continue to monitor.
Bill[/QUOTE]

This is great advise. I recently sent in an oil sample on a new engine with less than 3 hours on the track on it. Lab said everything was fine. I cut the filter and now the motor is out being rebuilt. Look deep in the folds of the filter, not just on the outside material.
Old 06-13-2015, 01:48 PM
Armycop
Drifting

Good idea I'll cut the filter when I get I get home. No chunks in the drain pan just some old oil residue.
Old 06-13-2015, 01:50 PM
Armycop
Drifting

Originally Posted by Bill Curlee
Eahhhhhhhh,,,, Even though it LOOKS BAD,,,, I would say that; unless there's big CHUNKS, I wouldn't be too concerned.

On the next oil change, if you see the same collection,, I would start paying attention!

Cut the filter and look for chunks and babbit. If you don't see any, continue to monitor.

Where did you get the engine from???

Bill
Hi Bill! Motor came from LaFontaine Chevy here in MI. it's the GM 525hp motor with the ASA cam.
Old 06-14-2015, 07:05 PM
K-Spaz
Team Owner

Location: Central PA. - - My AR15 identifies as a muzzleloader
Received 522 Likes on 387 Posts
I believe in the Beer Fairy

Personally, I would be concerned. Definitely get a dialog going with whomever you got the motor from as suggested above.

I suppose that much gunk could be left in the motor from the manufacture, but that seems very excessive to me.

I would not have done the two dyno runs during the break in, certainly not the early part of the break in, but it should not have been an issue either.
Old 06-15-2015, 04:45 PM
racebum
Race Director

Received 153 Likes on 146 Posts

i would be concerned if it did that on the next change. if the bearings were just a hair tight and or assembly lube wasn't slobered everywhere and you didn't prime the engine i could see some wear happen in the first few minutes

if you see that again it's something i would be concerned about.

personally i would drive 1k miles and check again just because i'm curious.

is a how to manual on break ins. this is the ideal method. you don't stress it but create massive vacuum which helps seats the rings, loading the engine dropping into that lower gear is such a great way to seat rings

the dyno redline break in method is how some F1 teams break in engines, some still do it, i just personally prefer the video method since it achieves the same result with less stress

Last edited by racebum; 06-15-2015 at 04:54 PM.
Old 06-15-2015, 05:04 PM
goombadi99
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

That's not enough that I would be concerned. Most new engine break ins I have done have simila results. As stated before keep an eye on the next change. The new block may have had slight machining dust that the hot tank doesn't always get. This is part of the reason for after break in oil changes.
Old 06-16-2015, 01:46 PM
VGLNTE1
Le Mans Master

Received 31 Likes on 29 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14-'15

Nope. New motors will have that. Everything is working in. If you see that every 500 miles, then you have an issue.
Old 06-16-2015, 04:39 PM
92GA
Burning Brakes

Received 46 Likes on 41 Posts
Oldtimer

Wipe that on a paper towel and show it to us again. It's not uncommon for a new engine to have some of that, as the parts wear together. As long as it is real fine and not copper colored.
Old 06-17-2015, 10:14 PM
ajrothm
Le Mans Master

Received 1,095 Likes on 746 Posts

It's completely normal, especially on the first couple oil changes.. Cruise on and don't worry about it. If you start seeing copper glitter or chunks, then start the worry. The fine shavings and "gray paste" on the plug is normal.

Get notified of new replies

To First oil change for the GM crate motor-should I be concerned?

Quick Reply: First oil change for the GM crate motor-should I be concerned?