C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Replacing rear main seal

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2015, 03:37 PM
01silvercoupe
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Replacing rear main seal

When replacing the rear main seal, how important is it to replace the cover gasket too? I see oil at the bottom of the seal but everything around the cover looks good. Also, how hard is it to remove the rear main with the plate still in the car? Any good techniques?
Old 06-08-2015, 02:38 AM
NITRO UK
Burning Brakes

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Check out these guys , I think I would change the cover seal , gasket while your in there https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...ment-tool.html

Great guys to deal with
Cheers
Old 06-08-2015, 12:22 PM
Anthraxmm
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

For about $50 you can get a new rear cover with a gasket and the rear main seal already installed. That's what I did and it was a lot easier than trying to get out the old seal and then getting the new one in. Just put a dab of rtv where the cover meets the oil pan.
Old 06-08-2015, 12:26 PM
Anthraxmm
Racer

Also to change the cover in the car is a bit of a PITA. you'll want to remove the bellhousing. That is after you remove the rear cradle, diff, trans, and torque tube. It's a good weekend by yourself if your good with a wrench.
Old 06-08-2015, 12:41 PM
01silvercoupe
Instructor

Originally Posted by Anthraxmm
Also to change the cover in the car is a bit of a PITA. you'll want to remove the bellhousing. That is after you remove the rear cradle, diff, trans, and torque tube. It's a good weekend by yourself if your good with a wrench.
Yeah, everything is already removed(currently replacing some differential components) except for the bell housing. The bolts don't look like they are easy to get to. I guess I'll roll back under the car on wednesday and see if I can get to those bolts. What brand cover/seal did you go with?
Old 06-08-2015, 03:22 PM
Anthraxmm
Racer

I got it from tick performance, it's a GM part.

There's the new one installed. In fact I wasn't able to completely remove the bellhousing. I removed all the bolts but one I had to back off as much as I could then just pulled the housing back.
Old 06-09-2015, 12:41 PM
01silvercoupe
Instructor

Originally Posted by Anthraxmm
I got it from tick performance, it's a GM part.

There's the new one installed. In fact I wasn't able to completely remove the bellhousing. I removed all the bolts but one I had to back off as much as I could then just pulled the housing back.
Cool, Thank you!
Old 06-09-2015, 01:05 PM
neutron82
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,261 Likes on 1,056 Posts
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (performance mods)
C5 of Year Winner (performance mods) 2019

I would do the rear cover gasket and main seal regardless if they were leaking or not just for cheap insurance if the drivetrain was out for whatever reason... no sense in buying a new rear cover in my opinion, I just bought the rear cover alignment tool from saccity corvette along with a new rear main seal and cover gasket... those cover alignment tools work like a charm and I haven't had any front or rear main/cover gasket leaks since using them

Get notified of new replies

To Replacing rear main seal

Quick Reply: Replacing rear main seal