C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HELP! Fuel gage at empty, but tank almost full

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2002, 01:08 PM
lostsoulny
Le Mans Master

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default HELP! Fuel gage at empty, but tank almost full

While driving to work this morning with about 3/4 a tank of gas all of a sudden the gage goes to empty and the check gages light illuminates. When i turn the key the gage cycles to f then back to e where it sits when I start the car. I am out of warranty so cheap fixes are apprecaited :(
Old 08-14-2002, 02:02 PM
jimman
Le Mans Master

Received 47 Likes on 30 Posts

Default Re: HELP! Fuel gage at empty, but tank almost full (lostsoulny)

hey, joint the club, common problem. Even does it with my new 02. I heard anywhere from 500 to 700 to fix. Apparently everyone but GM knows about it. :mad
Old 08-14-2002, 02:16 PM
NJVetteGuy
Melting Slicks

If you're still under warranty, the dealer will fix it. My dealer did my senders a few months ago, they knew of the problem...
Old 08-14-2002, 03:00 PM
RHILL
Le Mans Master

Most be something new :crazy:
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/zerothread?id=345357
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/zerothread?id=285955
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/zerothread?id=246560
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/zerothread?id=240852
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/zerothread?id=237117
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/zerothread?id=233493
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/zerothread?id=186093
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/zerothread?id=161829

:smash: :smash: :smash: :smash:
Old 08-14-2002, 10:13 PM
1999 White C5 Coupe
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

lostsoulny,

Welcome to the world of lousy C5 quality and reliability.

The defect you described is one of 18 separate defects that my 1999 C5 coupe experienced during the first 20,094 miles.

Good luck.
Old 08-14-2002, 10:52 PM
lostsoulny
Le Mans Master

Default Re: HELP! Fuel gage at empty, but tank almost full (1999 White C5 Coupe)

Well the good news is I went out to the car at lunch time started it and everything was fine, has been started 4 times since and all is well, so I guess now I just keep my fingers crossed ?
Old 08-14-2002, 11:20 PM
jimman
Le Mans Master

No No No, everything is not fine. This will happen again and sometimes it will shut your car down thinking it's out of gas and also it will show a quarter tank and you will not have any gas. All those symptoms happened to me, 3 times with the 00 and now with my 02. Ran out twice already with the 02 waiting on parts of which I know won't fix it either.. :mad :mad :mad
Old 08-14-2002, 11:44 PM
clem zahrobsky
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cruise-In I Veteran
Cruise-In II Veteran

chevy says try a difference brand of gasoline,something to do with sulfur in the gasoline. :chevy
Old 08-14-2002, 11:49 PM
NJVetteGuy
Melting Slicks

Lostsoulny, it WILL happen again, trust me. Changing the fuel senders will buy you a few more years but until a new design is made, you may have to do this again down the road. If you don't mind driving to NJ I can do the install for you, it's not a really hard job to do. I work at a shop on Sundays and can do it there to save you some $. I just have to do KH24's linelock install first :cheers:
Old 08-15-2002, 12:47 AM
jimman
Le Mans Master

Default Re: HELP! Fuel gage at empty, but tank almost full (clem zahrobsky)

Clem my 02 did it with less than 2000 miles on it and I can assure you it wasn't anything to do with fuel. I have never and I mean never heard of or seen any other car with this problem.
Old 08-15-2002, 10:48 AM
lostsoulny
Le Mans Master

Default Re: HELP! Fuel gage at empty, but tank almost full (NJVetteGuy)

Artie thanks for the offer and I will take you up on it, hopefully it won't have to be that soon. This is the first time my gauge has acted up so I am hoping that it keeps working for a while. Will putting in injector cleaner do any good ? and is it necessary to drop the tank/tanks to replace the sending unit ? Seems like this would be a good time to put in a heavy duty fuel pump as well.
Old 08-15-2002, 12:56 PM
clem zahrobsky
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cruise-In I Veteran
Cruise-In II Veteran

Default Re: HELP! Fuel gage at empty, but tank almost full (jimman)

my 02 did it also but only after using gas from a strange station on a road trip. i refilled after i got back home at my regular station and no problems since. i will keep you posted. :chevy
Old 08-15-2002, 01:10 PM
lostsoulny
Le Mans Master

Default Re: HELP! Fuel gage at empty, but tank almost full (clem zahrobsky)

My last fill up was at a Exxon on the Garden state parkway sunday night... makes me wonder what was in there :mad and I was pretty low at the time of the fill up maybe some grit got sucked up. :confused:
Old 08-15-2002, 01:59 PM
Gandalf
Advanced

There are 2 SB's out there on this topic. They are:

(1) GM updated the fuel sending units used in the C5 Corvette and issued a service bulletin regarding this problem (TSB #010604022).
The C5 Corvette is equipped with two fuel cells and each cell has its own fuel sending unit.
The previous design of the right hand fuel sending unit caused fuel cavitation (air bubbles in the fuel) which prevented the passage of fuel into the left hand fuel cell.
The updated right hand sending unit utilizes a newly designed screen which prevents this cavitation from occurring. The left hand sending unit has been updated to prevent the gauge problems you're seeing.
You should bring your Corvette into a service center to have the fuel sending units updated.

(2)\
Model Year: 2002
Subject: Erratic Fuel Gauge Reading (Reprogram the PCM)
Source: Chevrolet Dealer Service Technical Bulletin
Number: 02-06-04-010
Condition
Some owners may comment about the fuel gauge intermittently indicating an empty reading and then return to the correct fuel level indication.
Cause
This condition may result when fuel blends containing aggressive sulphur compounds react with the fuel sender assembly, which may result in voltage spikes being induced on the fuel level signal to the PCM. Use of another fuel blend may reverse this reaction and return the system to normal operation.
Correction
Reprogram the PCM with the new service calibration which is available in the January 2002, Techline TIS 2000 release. Use the TIS 01/2002 or later data update.
Warranty Information
For vehicles repaired under warranty, use:
Labor Operation
Description
Labor Time

J6355
Powertrain Controller - Reprogram
0.4 hr
GM bulletins are intended for use by professional technicians, NOT a "do-it-yourselfer". They are written to inform these technicians of conditions that may occur on some vehicles, or to provide information that could assist in the proper service of a vehicle. Properly trained technicians have the equipment, tools, safety instructions, and know-how to do a job properly and safely. If a condition is described, DO NOT assume that the bulletin applies to your vehicle, or that your vehicle will have that condition. See your GM dealer for information on whether your vehicle may benefit from the information.

© Copyright General Motors Corporation. All Rights Reserved.

Related Forum: 1997-2002 Technical Discussion

Hope this was helpful

Old 08-15-2002, 02:10 PM
jimman
Le Mans Master

Default Re: HELP! Fuel gage at empty, but tank almost full (Gandalf)

That's nice, but when I took my 02 in with the fuel gauge problem at 2000 miles and they went to do the computer reflash, feedback said it had already been done and wouldn't allow another reflash. So much for that fix and replacing the units with the same ones doesn't make a lot of sense either, of course I could be wrong.......Wait this is my 4th gauge problem with two model years....
Old 08-15-2002, 02:13 PM
Fahtrim
Team Owner

Default Re: HELP! Fuel gage at empty, but tank almost full (jimman)

That's nice, but when I took my 02 in with the fuel gauge problem at 2000 miles and they went to do the computer reflash, feedback said it had already been done and wouldn't allow another reflash. So much for that fix and replacing the units with the same ones doesn't make a lot of sense either, of course I could be wrong.......Wait this is my 4th gauge problem with two model years....
You sound bitter, sorry about your problems. I've never had an issue. (Knock on wood)

Get notified of new replies

To HELP! Fuel gage at empty, but tank almost full

Quick Reply: HELP! Fuel gage at empty, but tank almost full