C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dead Battery and Doors Locked

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2015, 12:16 AM
ThaChief216
7th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dead Battery and Doors Locked

Have not started my 03 Z06 since November and the battery is dead. Doors are locked and the hood is closed. How can I get into the car or engine bay so I can pull the battery??
Old 03-24-2015, 12:22 AM
onspeed
Burning Brakes

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

1. put key into the keyhole on the driver door
2. rotate the key
3. open door
4. open hood
Old 03-24-2015, 12:28 AM
4DRUSH
Le Mans Master

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

If you lost your key(s) take the title to the dealer & get another key
Old 03-24-2015, 12:50 AM
JrRifleCoach
Team Owner

Location: Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction.
Received 640 Likes on 444 Posts
St. Jude '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-‘19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24

Old 03-24-2015, 07:57 AM
3sACROWD
Melting Slicks

Received 449 Likes on 330 Posts

OK. I'll bite. I'm hoping there is more to the story and these are the only plausible problems I can see preventing you from using your key.

Option A: There is a slot for a key on the drivers side (passenger side was deleted at some point). IF that area appears to be a blank, you have a color matched key hole cover installed. It is a magnet. Take a piece of STEEL and touch the blank and it will attach itself to the steel. Some say your key or key ring is enough to pull it off.

Option B: The door lock cylinder does not match the ignition key due to one or the other being replaced. Hire a locksmith to open the door.

Option C: You're a little over a week early for your April Fool's joke. I'd tell you there was an app for that but then I'd be early for April Fool's too.

Option D: If none of the above are true, put your keys down and back away slowly. I'm sure there is bus service somewhere nearby.
Old 03-24-2015, 08:04 AM
73Corvette
Le Mans Master

Received 464 Likes on 374 Posts

Originally Posted by 3sACROWD
OK. I'll bite. I'm hoping there is more to the story and these are the only plausible problems I can see preventing you from using your key.

Option A: There is a slot for a key on the drivers side (passenger side was deleted at some point). IF that area appears to be a blank, you have a color matched key hole cover installed. It is a magnet. Take a piece of STEEL and touch the blank and it will attach itself to the steel. Some say your key or key ring is enough to pull it off.

Option B: The door lock cylinder does not match the ignition key due to one or the other being replaced. Hire a locksmith to open the door.

Option C: You're a little over a week early for your April Fool's joke. I'd tell you there was an app for that but then I'd be early for April Fool's too.

Option D: If none of the above are true, put your keys down and back away slowly. I'm sure there is bus service somewhere nearby.
Great post! Helpful, insightful and funny... good job.
Old 03-24-2015, 01:33 PM
mrlmd
Drifting

Received 297 Likes on 198 Posts

Think he'll (TheChief) be back?
Old 03-24-2015, 03:35 PM
Stilcrazee
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by mrlmd
Think he'll (TheChief) be back?
According to the little green light, he's logged on right now.
Old 03-24-2015, 03:48 PM
73Corvette
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by ThaChief216
Have not started my 03 Z06 since November and the battery is dead. Doors are locked and the hood is closed. How can I get into the car or engine bay so I can pull the battery??
Did ya get in buddy?
Old 03-24-2015, 04:10 PM
4DRUSH
Le Mans Master

Jumper wire on starter, ground on frame, fob will work
Old 03-24-2015, 04:23 PM
XotiK ZO6
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It's hopeless, hate to tell you. Those other people saying all that crazy key stuff, starter cable connections... who do they think you are to fall for such BS.

I have experience with this and it isn't pleasant. I can tell you I am feeling generous today. Send me a PM and I will take that thing off your hands for you. I'll pick it up and give you a few hundred dollars as early as this weekend. I know, but I want you to have the extra money. It's so terrible when these flaky cars fall apart. You have been through enough and you really don't need to put up with it anymore. Take the money and do something nice for yourself. Doesn't that sound great?

Hurry before I come to my senses... this offer won't last.
Old 03-24-2015, 05:01 PM
73Corvette
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by XotiK ZO6
It's hopeless, hate to tell you. Those other people saying all that crazy key stuff, starter cable connections... who do they think you are to fall for such BS.

I have experience with this and it isn't pleasant. I can tell you I am feeling generous today. Send me a PM and I will take that thing off your hands for you. I'll pick it up and give you a few hundred dollars as early as this weekend. I know, but I want you to have the extra money. It's so terrible when these flaky cars fall apart. You have been through enough and you really don't need to put up with it anymore. Take the money and do something nice for yourself. Doesn't that sound great?

Hurry before I come to my senses... this offer won't last.

Why would you buy a car you can't get into?
Old 03-24-2015, 05:08 PM
Johnny wangwang
Burning Brakes

Received 53 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by onspeed
1. put key into the keyhole on the driver door
2. rotate the key
3. open door
4. open hood
Old 03-24-2015, 11:50 PM
ThaChief216
7th Gear

This is not funny, a trick, or anything else. The key does not work on the door lock. I knew it when I bought the car and have not had a chance to replace the door lock. The key fobs worked fine but the battery is dead. Is there a way to open the hood latch from outside the car?
Old 03-24-2015, 11:57 PM
4DRUSH
Le Mans Master

This is not funny, a trick, or anything else. The key does not work on the door lock. I knew it when I bought the car and have not had a chance to replace the door lock. The key fobs worked fine but the battery is dead. Is there a way to open the hood latch from outside the car?
see post 10
Old 03-25-2015, 12:46 AM
88redconvert
Burning Brakes

Received 91 Likes on 74 Posts

Originally Posted by 4DRUSH
Jumper wire on starter, ground on frame, fob will work
That's a neat trick. I never heard of it and would never have thought of it.
Good info
Old 03-25-2015, 07:14 AM
65GGvert
Team Owner

Received 3,234 Likes on 2,310 Posts

Once you connect the booster 12v wire to the red wire on the starter solenoid, and the ground to the frame, you may have to re-sync the fobs before they will work. Hold down the lock and unlock buttons at the same time until the horn honks, then the door should unlock with the unlock button on the fob. If not, I would call a locksmith to make a door key. It doesn't have to have the security pellet just to unlock the door. Put that key somewhere you can find it for future use. He may be able to rekey your current door lock to match the correct ignition key.

Get notified of new replies

To Dead Battery and Doors Locked

Old 03-25-2015, 08:28 AM
73Corvette
Le Mans Master

Might not have gotten a little ribbing if you had made that more clear to start with... you have some great ideas for gaining entrance now...
Most of the ribbing is in good fun, this forum can be your best friend while owning a C5. Let us know if and when you get in....
Pics of your new ride would be great.... congrats and have fun with it.
Old 03-25-2015, 09:59 AM
3sACROWD
Melting Slicks

Received 449 Likes on 330 Posts

I don't think you'd have to have to reteach the fobs. It is no different than disconnecting the battery in the car. I've had my battery disconnected for days and not had to reteach anything, including the radio. I like the connect to starter and frame trick. Never thought of that.

OP. As stated earlier, the more information provided for your situation the better. I figured as much and offered two legitimate solutions before teasing. Take a look at your original post from our perspective. You gave us very little to work with. Learn to roll with the punches because this forum is very helpful and fun. At the very least, your post was getting noticed and responded to.

Good luck getting your car going again. In the future, either take the battery out of your car and store it in a warm dry place (not in direct contact with cement) or buy a battery tender for long periods of storage. I prefer the battery tender because all I have to do when the weather is good is disconnect the tender, open the garage door, and go.
Old 03-25-2015, 10:12 AM
65GGvert
Team Owner

Received 3,234 Likes on 2,310 Posts

Originally Posted by 3sACROWD
I don't think you'd have to have to reteach the fobs. It is no different than disconnecting the battery in the car. I've had my battery disconnected for days and not had to reteach anything, including the radio. I like the connect to starter and frame trick. Never thought of that.

OP. As stated earlier, the more information provided for your situation the better. I figured as much and offered two legitimate solutions before teasing. Take a look at your original post from our perspective. You gave us very little to work with. Learn to roll with the punches because this forum is very helpful and fun. At the very least, your post was getting noticed and responded to.

Good luck getting your car going again. In the future, either take the battery out of your car and store it in a warm dry place (not in direct contact with cement) or buy a battery tender for long periods of storage. I prefer the battery tender because all I have to do when the weather is good is disconnect the tender, open the garage door, and go.
I didn't say "reteach" which is actually relearn, I said re-sync. Sometimes when you disconnect the battery, the already learned fob gets out of sync with the car, and can be re-synced by simply holding down the lock and unlock buttons at the same time on the fob until the horn honks. Occasionally the same thing will happen when you change the battery in the fob. The relearn procedure is done through the programming in the DIC and that should not be required, but can be done if the re-sync doesn't work. (If you can get into the car to get to the DIC)

Quick Reply: Dead Battery and Doors Locked