C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

'01 Road Test

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2002, 10:56 AM
REDBLUR
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

Default '01 Road Test

A guy from work just bought an old '91 GMC Syclone pick-up(S10). That truck was equipped with a 4.3L V6 turbocharged, liquid inter-cooled (280 HP alot for '91), similar to the one in the older Buick Grand Sport. He believes it may be faster than a C5 in the 1/4. I have an old C&D article in which they ran a heads up 1/4 mi Cyclone vs. Ferrari 348ts. Ferrari 14.5@99mph, Syclone 14.1@93mph. Ferrari 0-60@6.0, Syclone 0-60@5.3. Somewhere after 90mph the Syclone guy had a great view of Ferrari tail lights. Soon after that the Ferrari was gone. I need to find a test of an '01, LS1 coupe (preferably) so I can copy both for him to shut his smug mug! :yesnod:
Old 08-11-2002, 11:04 AM
Crushinator
Race Director

Received 128 Likes on 77 Posts

Default Re: '01 Road Test (REDBLUR)

It's probably a bit quicker initially, but by the end of the quarter mile it's gonna be nothing but a Corvette taillights getting smaller and smaller. Also, from a 50 MPH punch the Vette is gonna walk away bigtime.
Old 08-11-2002, 11:09 AM
Crushinator
Race Director

Received 128 Likes on 77 Posts

Default Re: '01 Road Test (QuickSilver97)

Here you go...
http://www.corvettemuseum.com/specs/...erformance.htm

2001 Corvette Coupe/Convertible Acceleration
Trans Axle 0-60 MPH 1/4 Mile Improvement
A4 2.73 4.90 Sec 13.65 Sec .25 Sec
A4 3.15 4.75 Sec 13.50 Sec .25 Sec
M6 3.42 4.55 Sec 13.25 Sec .15 Sec

[Modified by QuickSilver97, 10:10 AM 8/11/2002]
Old 08-11-2002, 01:46 PM
Argetni
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

FYI, the review you speak of was the GMC Typhoon versus the Ferrari.

The Typhoon was based on the Blazer and was much heavier and slower.

Regardless, the syclone may show the vette its dumper to 60 or so, but after that its toast...stock vs stock that is.

Old 08-11-2002, 01:56 PM
REDBLUR
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

Default Re: '01 Road Test (Argetni)

The review I speak of is from C&D, Sept. 1991 entitled "Shreveport Takes on Maranello; The New Age Drag Race: Syclone pickup vs. Ferrari 348ts" by Patrick Bedard, pages 40 through 47..... :) Thanks just the same.
Old 08-12-2002, 12:16 AM
SteveL2
Team Owner

Received 209 Likes on 126 Posts

I know it sounds nuts, but just make sure he's stock. Like the Buick Grand National (and turbo trans am of the same year), some cheap mods and that truck is pretty fast in a straight line, particularly for a 6-banger. :smash:

(former owner of an '87 Grand National).
Old 08-12-2002, 05:58 AM
Steve02C5
Safety Car

Default Re: '01 Road Test (SteveL2)

I know it sounds nuts, but just make sure he's stock. Like the Buick Grand National (and turbo trans am of the same year), some cheap mods and that truck is pretty fast in a straight line, particularly for a 6-banger. :smash:
(former owner of an '87 Grand National).
Steve, sorry, but I just can't help myself, the TTA (turbo Trans Am) was mf'd. only one year, 1989, which is not the same year as the GN. It ran in street trim a 12.7 w/ only a chip change, a friend of mine had one which ran a 12.2 in 1990. I'm a former owner of the TTA. :cheers:
Old 08-12-2002, 11:22 AM
SteveL2
Team Owner

Received 209 Likes on 126 Posts

Default Re: '01 Road Test (Steve02C5)

Steve, sorry, but I just can't help myself, the TTA (turbo Trans Am) was mf'd. only one year, 1989, which is not the same year as the GN. It ran in street trim a 12.7 w/ only a chip change, a friend of mine had one which ran a 12.2 in 1990. I'm a former owner of the TTA. :cheers:
My bad. When I had my GN I kept up with the internet groups on it, and the TTA always would get grouped in with the GN drivetrain talk. I never even saw a TTA in person, but I guess I just got it stuck in some tiny (and now devoid) brain cell that the cars were the same years. No biggie -- the drivetrain, regardless of the car, was just too fun. I even recall seeing projects where folks were stuffing them into C4s. :seeya
Old 08-12-2002, 11:57 AM
ViperEater1974
Advanced

I would use caution when racing a syclone/typhoon. I owned a Typhoon for 6 years /100000+ miles and never lost a street race. My dad was so impressed with the truck that he ran out and found one of the last new syclones that a dealer had after riding in my phoon and drove across country to pick it up, then used it as his company truck for 4 years. My phoon was lightly modified and consistently ran 4 flat to 60mph and mid 12's without getting hastled by the dealer about the mods. The Syclone had just a chip and a muffler and ran 12.7's. These trucks pull almost 2x the g force that my 99vette does off the line. My most memorable syclone experiance was one friday night i was out with a friend and had just pulled out of a wendy's drive thru and caught a light. The truck was dirty and had a trash can in the bed so the tonneau cover wasn't even on all the way. What i thought was a mr2 pulled up next to me. I paced it then caught another light, and it was acually an NSX, super clean looked like it just came out of the detail shop, with a 40 + year old driver wearing leather racing gloves and obviously looking for some trouble. He reved it up and i put the emergency brake on ( a technique for building more boost without creeping forward in a sy/ty) then put the brake to the floor and watched the lights, when they were getting ready to turn i build up 12psi and went on green barely getting the truck into second gear after releasing the e-brake. The nsx was instantly 3 cars back. then i pulled another 2 cars in second, then held it to 100 where i brake tapped him. the guy was totally pissed. Came up next to me at the next light and asked what i had in it. I told hime a v6. Then he said it was impressive but we should race in some turns, i told him i would have to go borrow my dads ZR-1 for that and then the light changed and i creemed him again. a side note is that a month or so later i ran my first low speed autocross (again in the syclone) and saw that guy there and beat his time. gotta love all wheel drive and lots of torque on a low speed course. The trucks are very impressive, and loads of fun street racing since people dont' know what they are. But they are also very tempermental, and when i would run them at the track i would let them cool 1 hr and ice the intercooler so on the street on a 95 degree day they would feel 100hp different then a 30 degree night. Just race him from a roll and you shouldn't have any problem. I put the typhoon and my 95 vette both up for sale when i went to the musieum to pick up my 99vert, and the typhoon had about 50 hits on email when got back. The first guy i called flew in from colorado and paid me 70% of what i had paid for it after 100k miles, and more races then i can count. It was a rare, one, 1 of 7 teal/grey ones. I like my new vette better though, just barely. Just race the guy from a roll and you shouldn't have a problem.
Old 08-12-2002, 09:40 PM
2001 Red Coupe Bandit
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Re: '01 Road Test (ViperEater1974)

I was Cracking up when i read the part: , when you caught up to the driver at the 2nd light and he was pissed, then, the light changed and you "Creamed him Again"

LMAO :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Get notified of new replies

To '01 Road Test

Quick Reply: '01 Road Test