C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rear wheel bearing replacement

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2015, 12:50 AM
music4lin
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Rear wheel bearing replacement

Looking for someone in the Nashville Tennessee area who can replace the rear wheel bearings on my 04. Any suggestions????
Old 02-20-2015, 04:17 PM
BigGun
Drifting

Received 67 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by music4lin
Looking for someone in the Nashville Tennessee area who can replace the rear wheel bearings on my 04. Any suggestions????
You have to replace the whole hub as the bearings are not serviceable. The job is not difficult and no Corvette specific problems so any reputable shop should be able to do the replacement. Several brands of after market hubs are available and much less expensive than getting one from a dealer.
Old 02-23-2015, 09:28 AM
2003RedVette
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by BigGun
You have to replace the whole hub as the bearings are not serviceable. The job is not difficult and no Corvette specific problems so any reputable shop should be able to do the replacement. Several brands of after market hubs are available and much less expensive than getting one from a dealer.
I live in the DFW area and could not get anyone to touch the job for under $500, and some of the corvette shops wanted up to $800, for 1 wheel. I ended up buying the part, did some research on this forum and a little on the internet, and did the job myself. I had a few tools but not a full on mechanic by no means, but with the help of free tool rental at autozone, it wasn't bad at all, just take your time. You'll save yourself some cash and the downtime of your car will be much less. If you decide to do it yourself, be very careful not to cut or puncture your CV joint boots on the axle shaft (ask me how I know...) Wrap them with a towel or something to protect them. Good luck.
Old 02-23-2015, 10:12 PM
zachaeous
Melting Slicks

Received 451 Likes on 376 Posts

Default rear wheel bearings

I have heard others on the forum talk about Marc at Vettenuts He is a forum vendor here. He is in Murfreesboro, TN. phone #615-896-6100.
Old 02-24-2015, 09:33 AM
Umrswimr
Team Owner

Location: Overwhelmed as one would be, placed in my position.... DFW, TX
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05

Originally Posted by 2003RedVette
I live in the DFW area and could not get anyone to touch the job for under $500, and some of the corvette shops wanted up to $800, for 1 wheel. I ended up buying the part, did some research on this forum and a little on the internet, and did the job myself. I had a few tools but not a full on mechanic by no means, but with the help of free tool rental at autozone, it wasn't bad at all, just take your time. You'll save yourself some cash and the downtime of your car will be much less. If you decide to do it yourself, be very careful not to cut or puncture your CV joint boots on the axle shaft (ask me how I know...) Wrap them with a towel or something to protect them. Good luck.

I've replaced all four as sticky R-compounds and lots of negative camber wore mine out before 50k miles. It's really not difficult.
Old 02-24-2015, 04:10 PM
BigGun
Drifting

Received 67 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by 2003RedVette
They must have been applying the old "Corvette tax". They job takes about 2 hours at most for an experienced tech. I can see 500 if they are supplying a quality hub but 800 sounds like dealer prices.
Old 02-24-2015, 04:26 PM
2003RedVette
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by BigGun
They must have been applying the old "Corvette tax". They job takes about 2 hours at most for an experienced tech. I can see 500 if they are supplying a quality hub but 800 sounds like dealer prices.
The $800 estimate was with a dealer hub/bearing and I assume 8 hours of labor from a place here locally that supposedly specializes in Vettes. He was an older gentleman, but I could tell he didn't want to do the work, thus the high price. He also said he would need it 3 or 4 days. I ran to my car and hauled butt, never looked back.
Old 02-24-2015, 05:12 PM
VGLNTE1
Le Mans Master

Received 31 Likes on 29 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14-'15

Changed mine in 30 min at the track with a few tools. You can do it :-)
Old 02-24-2015, 07:07 PM
SG Lou
Safety Car

Received 487 Likes on 371 Posts

I did all 4 of mine when I replaced all of the ball joints, I had i know then what I know now I would have at least broke the bolts free before I removed all 4 knuckles. What a bitch to break free....But I did manage to replace them.

Get notified of new replies

To Rear wheel bearing replacement

Quick Reply: Rear wheel bearing replacement