C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cutch kit 'Z06' vs LS7 for mostly stock LS1 and slave cylinder questions

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2015, 10:58 AM
bwiencek
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Cutch kit 'Z06' vs LS7 for mostly stock LS1 and slave cylinder questions

I'm helping my brother do his transmission and we're going to replace the clutch while we've got the trans out and I've got some questions.

What clutch would you guys recommend - the car is a stock LS1 with only a cat-back exhaust, drop in K&N filter and a BBK throttle body on it (that's what we know is on it that we can see - don't think it's got anything more than that) and he's got no plans of doing anything further with it so which clutch would everyone recommend given the choice of a stock C5 Z06 clutch, a stock LS7 clutch, or just grab a replacement LUK unit from the local parts house?

I've heard the LS7 setup is heavier and causes the engine to rev slower but will hold a lot more HP. I've then read the Z06 clutch setup doesn't like shifting at high RPM's so I'm a little confused as to what to have him buy...

For the slave cylinder - is the GM part 24264180 going to be the best option for a replacement? Also are they really that hard to bleed with 2 people (or are the remote bleeders 'required' even if there will be the two of us doing the bleeding?) If so has anyone used the one from speedway? ( http://www.speedwaymotors.com/T56-Re...der,41385.html - I can't believe there would be much difference in any of them)

We're planning on doing the torque tube couplers while it's out - anything else to do as preventative maintenance while everything is sitting out on the ground?
Old 02-12-2015, 11:32 AM
Bill Curlee
Tech Contributor

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,180 Likes on 1,583 Posts
CI 6,7,8,9,11 Vet
St. Jude Donor '08

The ZO6 clutch should be EXCELLENT for your plans. The stock ZO6 clutch has issues when you add a significant amount of bolt on power.

My stock ZO6 clutch was fine for my first set of mods. I added: Stainless works LT SS Headers, Ported TB and a VARARAM with a professional tune. It made 390 HP to the rear wheels. NO ISSUES with the clutch at ALL! Ran and shifter fantastic!!

When I did my second round of more significant MODS a few years later, I added performance heads/ big CAM, ported FAST 90 and the RWHP went to 450 HP,,, the stock ZO6 clutch was NOT happy.

I replaced it with a SPEC Dual disk clutch.

You should also be inspecting the Torque Tube rubber bushings, adding a remote bleeder, replacing the SLAVE and MASTER Cylinder and the pilot bearing in the crank.

Bill

Quick Reply: Cutch kit 'Z06' vs LS7 for mostly stock LS1 and slave cylinder questions