C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

The Dreaded Oil Pressure Sending Unit (which one)

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2015, 08:39 AM
TKT-MKR
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default The Dreaded Oil Pressure Sending Unit (which one)

Hey all,
Well my car has fallen victim, and because I would rather know what the pressure is than risk it going Kaboom I am keeping her off road until I can get the OPSU replaced.

Heres the thing... I heard that AC delco replacements just fail again (read some where that one failed in 12 hours), and that the NAPA ones were ok, but I think I read (and somehow closed the browser that had that page) that there was some people that had replaced their with an aftermarket unit that has been working for years.
I am not 100% sure, but I think it was something like the SMP PS-308?
Is this correct?
Anyone have any other recommendations?
Thanks

PS. I have also read there are one but then also read there are two OPSU's can someone verify this. I have a 1999 LS1
Thanks
Old 01-19-2015, 09:28 AM
jackthelad
Melting Slicks

Received 675 Likes on 519 Posts

Originally Posted by TKT-MKR
Hey all,
Well my car has fallen victim, and because I would rather know what the pressure is than risk it going Kaboom I am keeping her off road until I can get the OPSU replaced.

Heres the thing... I heard that AC delco replacements just fail again (read some where that one failed in 12 hours), and that the NAPA ones were ok, but I think I read (and somehow closed the browser that had that page) that there was some people that had replaced their with an aftermarket unit that has been working for years.
I am not 100% sure, but I think it was something like the SMP PS-308?
Is this correct?
Anyone have any other recommendations?
Thanks

PS. I have also read there are one but then also read there are two OPSU's can someone verify this. I have a 1999 LS1
Thanks
Got mine from RockAuto - cheap and quick service. No idea who made it, but it is still functioning. I guess the OEM would have been a Delco and it lasted 15 years.

There's one sensor for the oil pressure gauge - it's tucked up at the back of the engine under the HVAC air intake box.

Now you get to do the fiddly job of changing it!
Old 01-19-2015, 02:26 PM
SG Lou
Safety Car

Received 487 Likes on 371 Posts

If my memory serves me correctly from reading MANY posts about this subject, the majority of guys got their OPSU from O'Rielys Auto Parts and
everyone seem to recommend a brass body as opposed to the OEM style Aluminum body. Like I said, I'm going from memory.
Old 01-19-2015, 08:53 PM
Zealot06
Instructor

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Got mine from Advance Auto

I am in the middle of replacing mine right now. I bought a BWD Part # S4202P from Advance. Went to BWD's website and they seem to be a good aftermarket company. It has a brass base, approximately in the center of the picture below:

When mine failed, it read 30 psi on the gauge with just the key turned on. When started, the pressure pegged at 80 psi. Pretty typical failure. I installed my new OPSU, hooked it up, and now the gauge reads 0 psi with just the key turned on like it should. I should have mine done by the weekend!
Old 01-20-2015, 12:31 AM
Rookieracer
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 197 Likes on 118 Posts

Borg Warner brass body version is the way to go.
BWD - Oil Pressure Sender
Part # S4202

My AC Delco replacement failed in a month.
2 years and counting on the BW.

Last edited by Rookieracer; 01-20-2015 at 12:39 AM.
Old 01-22-2015, 02:07 PM
Quicksilver Vert 01
Tech Contributor

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16

Originally Posted by Rookieracer
Borg Warner brass body version is the way to go.
BWD - Oil Pressure Sender
Part # S4202

Mine has been going strong for nearly 5 years now. I purchased it at my local Advance Auto Parts store.

Make sure it's the brass version before you buy it. Some old stock aluminum sensors, made by BWD, may still be on the store shelves.
Old 01-23-2015, 01:52 AM
footbright
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Replaced mine with the one from O'Reillys also, all brass construction. Been working fine now for 4 months. Also, I watched the you-tube video www.youtube.com/watch?v=5PvlDLcyXX8 changed it out in 15 minutes without taking off the intake.
Old 01-23-2015, 12:23 PM
alxltd1
Melting Slicks

Received 113 Likes on 99 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17

Originally Posted by footbright
Replaced mine with the one from O'Reillys also, all brass construction. Been working fine now for 4 months. Also, I watched the you-tube video www.youtube.com/watch?v=5PvlDLcyXX8 changed it out in 15 minutes without taking off the intake.
Replaced mine when it failed in 2012 with a unit from O'Reilly's (brass) and installed the remote location kit just in case I had to do this again for any reason. Now given the original lasted 12 years, it is not exactly a weekly occurrence, but even so it is concerning when you are driving and notice your oil pressure is pegged at its limit.
Old 01-23-2015, 02:06 PM
twizted91gt
Instructor

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

The PS308 is the one you want to go with. Its the all brass body one made by SMP. Def want to avoid the aluminum body ones, they are the ones that are known to fail.
As far as R&R goes, the youtube video shows you how to replace it without pulling the IM. You can also spend 2hrs pulling the IM to replace the sender and use that opportunity to clean things up while your in there.
Old 01-23-2015, 05:39 PM
mrlmd
Drifting

Received 297 Likes on 198 Posts

Another vote for O'Reilly's brass unit. Did mine about a year and a half ago, works fine, cost about $40-42 if I remember correctly.
Old 06-04-2022, 08:37 AM
edmiller0119
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Just checking in, do folks still recommend the OReilly’s or SMP unit? From looking at OReillys all units they have look to be aluminum and i saw some bad reviews on the SMP unit and they show both a PS308 and PS308T unit for the C5 and i can’t tell the difference in them from the details on the website.
Old 06-04-2022, 10:13 AM
jdmvette
Night Owl for life
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,256 Likes on 1,675 Posts

You can get away with any old cheap one as long as you relocate it with a kit so it can be changed in 5 minutes when it fails again

Amazon Amazon

Get notified of new replies

To The Dreaded Oil Pressure Sending Unit (which one)

Quick Reply: The Dreaded Oil Pressure Sending Unit (which one)