C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rear wheel stud replacement drill hole???

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2015, 03:33 PM
Pirateslife4me
Burning Brakes

Received 26 Likes on 17 Posts
Default Rear wheel stud replacement drill hole???

I am wanting to replace the rear wheel studs with longer ones I've read all over about drilling a hole in the parking brake backing plate and then just banging them out and through one at a time.

I saw Froggys youtube video and seems that is bunk. So question…. Is this possible to be done this way and has anyone that has done it please comment with a little help for me.

I'm looking for hole placement and possibly pictures or a diagram or something.
Old 01-12-2015, 05:46 PM
BigGun
Drifting

Received 67 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by Pirateslife4me
I am wanting to replace the rear wheel studs with longer ones I've read all over about drilling a hole in the parking brake backing plate and then just banging them out and through one at a time.

I saw Froggys youtube video and seems that is bunk. So question…. Is this possible to be done this way and has anyone that has done it please comment with a little help for me.

I just pulled the hub. Not to bad at all. The studs just tapped out with a nut on top to protect the threads. You can use the same nut to draw the new ones in tight. Drilling that hole looks like a pita.
Old 01-12-2015, 05:55 PM
dankhts
Safety Car

Received 326 Likes on 203 Posts

drilled a hole in mine to install ARP studs, worked well no issues.... Sorry I haven't got a pic though....
Pulling the hubs isn't hard to do either btw.....
Old 01-13-2015, 11:21 AM
Pirateslife4me
Burning Brakes

Received 26 Likes on 17 Posts

Im just not keen on popping those joints loose and bearings and what not if I don't have to.
dankhts where did you drill the hole approx. and did you drill the hole first or did you as I have heard another do cut off one stud and pull it out then drill through the hole where the stud was?
Old 02-22-2015, 11:16 AM
apex26
Racer

Received 57 Likes on 47 Posts

I took a rear caliper and rotar off to try to find access to drill a hole, there is supposedly a flat circle perfect for where to do it. But, can't even see any flat spot, and can't see how to drill from the back--too cluttered. Do you take the ebrake off and drill from under it? The drill would be angled. Can someone please just describe what they did? Thanks!
Old 02-22-2015, 05:13 PM
c31980
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

no way to drill any hole if you are keeping your e-brake assembly
I just changed my rear wheel stud with arp 2.5" even planning on changing them also with longer one 2.750" just waiting for the new studs to arrive
Old 02-26-2015, 10:49 AM
3RD-INF
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Had to replace a stud on my 02 drivers side. I did drill a hole in the backing plate. Made it a little bigger than needed. Worked fine. Cut stud off at hub, drove stud out. Drilled through hub into backing plate. Then opened up hole with drimel tool. If memory serves me, that was in 2003.
The following users liked this post:
smitty2919 (10-07-2019)
Old 10-07-2019, 11:51 AM
maxgee
Racer

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Pirateslife4me

Old 10-07-2019, 03:28 PM
helga203
Safety Car

Received 434 Likes on 373 Posts

Boy i sure hope he fixed it by know. 4 year thread.

Get notified of new replies

To Rear wheel stud replacement drill hole???

Quick Reply: Rear wheel stud replacement drill hole???