C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ram air lid for Blackwing?

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2002, 01:59 PM
Iron Maiden Fan
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Ram air lid for Blackwing?

Anybody know about a "ram air lid" for the Donaldson Blackwing? :cheers:

"The smell of musket smoke and horse's breath, makes you plunge on into certain death."
Old 08-06-2002, 08:20 PM
FunDriver
Le Mans Master

Received 144 Likes on 93 Posts

Default Re: Ram air lid for Blackwing? (Iron Maiden Fan)

I think there is a mention of a ram air setup in an above post. I just have the open Blackwing and like it.

Where is that quote from in your sig? It sounds like something from Rudyard Kipliing or the Charge of the Light Brigade or something...obviously I'm not overly familiar with eithe one but it's a cool quote.
Old 08-06-2002, 09:19 PM
Iron Maiden Fan
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Re: Ram air lid for Blackwing? (FunDriver)

The quotes are all different. They are from old Iron Maiden songs. Just trying to do something original.

I had someone mention a "ram air" lid with a Blackwing in an earlier thread of mine. No response on where/what it is though. If you hear of one, let us know.

How do you like your Blackwing? Have you had any problems with water ingestion or water wetting the filter?

:cheers:
"Jump in the cockpits and start up the engines, remove all the wheel blocks there's no time to waste. Gathering speed as we head down the runway. Got to get airborne before it's too late"
Old 08-06-2002, 09:49 PM
Patches
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 889 Likes on 587 Posts

Default Re: Ram air lid for Blackwing? (Iron Maiden Fan)

FWIW, I have the BlackWing as well with Z06 screens and the foglight shrouds removed. That's as far as I'll go in exposing the filter to cooler air. The lid for the BW requires you to cut a hole in the radiator shroud to expose the filter to fresh air. The potential for water injestion may increase in this configuration.

The BW lid also has reportedly caused some users to experience drivability issues due to surging to the point that a vendor or two have discontinued selling it.

Old 08-06-2002, 11:43 PM
SFVetteman
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Re: Ram air lid for Blackwing? (Patches)

FWIW, I have the BlackWing as well with Z06 screens and the foglight shrouds removed. That's as far as I'll go in exposing the filter to cooler air. The lid for the BW requires you to cut a hole in the radiator shroud to expose the filter to fresh air. The potential for water injestion may increase in this configuration.

The BW lid also has reportedly caused some users to experience drivability issues due to surging to the point that a vendor or two have discontinued selling it.

If you are as concerned about water ingestion as you were in your previous thread, I'd forget about the cold air cover and cutting the shroud. In fact, cold air screens might possibly get you in trouble in a real toad floater, I don't know but I'll probably find out as I plan on putting them on. In the Sacramento valley (I travel thru it at times), the rain at times can be as bad and unpredictable as any I experienced in Texas.
Old 08-07-2002, 12:48 AM
sandyg
Pro

Default Re: Ram air lid for Blackwing? (SFVetteman)

The so called hood is really a" cold air cover" as named by the company. You have to cut a rectangular hole in the shroud. The nice thing is that they provide you with a piece of plastic that is used as a template and has a hole in each corner. The hood is held in place by 4 black plastic plugs that can pop in or out. In the event you wish to avoid water or dirt getting to the filter via the hole in the shroud you simply pull the plugs out allowing you to remove the hood, slip the sheet of plastic behind the filter thus covering up the hole in the shroud and the plugs that hold the cover are reinserted holding the sheet of plastic in place. Not a bad idea but from the few reports I have read the gain in power is negligible.
Old 08-07-2002, 01:48 AM
Viprklr
Melting Slicks

Default Re: Ram air lid for Blackwing? (sandyg)

I have the cold air cover/lid with my Blackwing and have had no issues with it. It doesn't rain much down here in the desert. :smash: Like others said, probably slight, if any, gains anyway. :cheers:

Get notified of new replies

To Ram air lid for Blackwing?

Quick Reply: Ram air lid for Blackwing?