C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I had my car towed from a car show!!! Help!

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2002, 07:10 PM
HotWheels
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Re: I had my car towed from a car show!!! Help! (HotWheels)

Well,

It's official...Robert Chiodo, with Chevrolet Customer Care (1-800-222-1020) has indicated that they will not honor the recall campaign to fix my steering column. Furthermore, Robert indicated that he is THE TOP OF THE ESCALATION CHAIN and, "...is full empowered by General Motors to make that decision". I asked who I could escalate this concern to as this was absolutely contrary to the intent of the recall...as noted in the very name: Customer Satisfaction Campaign Corvette Electronic Column Lock Robert indicated that there was no additional escalation available to me.

My request number: 1-22007109 with Chevrolet Customer Care has been a bitter disappointment.

Old 08-05-2002, 07:51 PM
9tee9c5
Pro

Hotwheels, if your column is now unlocked, buy the bypass kit for $50 or so and install it yourself. I never had the problem, but installed the kit after reading the board for two years. $300-$500 for Chevy to fix this is just as bad as the rocking seat problem they want $700 or so to fix.

JMHO
Old 08-06-2002, 12:46 AM
redriverjohn
Pro

I can't imagine what criteria they (Chevrolet) are using to decide which cars that they will perform the recall on, that have VINs out of range, and which ones they won't. Chev. Cust. Svc. approved my car for the recall procedure and it is out of warranty and my VIN is out of range for the recall. Yet, today, Bill Heard Chevrolet in Huntsville, AL (mine locked while I was out of town) installed the recall kit on my car at no charge to me. Chev. Cust. Svc. issued me a case file number when I called and arranged for this dealer to take care of it for me. They even provided me with the name of a contact person at the dealership whom I chould call to confirm the appointment. The girl I talked with at Chevrolet was most professional & helpful. Go figure!
Old 08-06-2002, 12:10 PM
HotWheels
Advanced

Default Re: I had my car towed from a car show!!! Help! (redriverjohn)

RedRiverJohn,
Perhaps they honored your vehicle because it was in the "official range of dates" 1998-2000. I'm curious, do you have an extended warranty? Robert, at CCCare, indicated that I should just pay my deductible and use my extended warranty to address the problem. I think that is a total dismissal of responsibility.

General,
Here's my take, If the steering column/mechanisms changed between years, I can understand an exclusion of 97's, however, if we are all using the same parts and there has been no change in design, how can GM exclude certain years and or VINs? Perhaps GM thought it would be cost effective in these times to own up to a limited number of vehicles. Here's a thought: GM should provide a conditional recall...that is, honor fixes if the owner is exhibting the symptoms as opposed to a total recall...

:nopity I guess what has me upset is the whole exclusion and dismisal of responsibility for a known issue. If this is how they service their "Flagship" vehicle, I'd hate to see their attitude for their other product lines.

Quick Reply: I had my car towed from a car show!!! Help!