C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Happy Days! Finally running like a Raped Ape and Overheating Problem Also Fixed!

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2002, 06:17 PM
Mopar Jimmy
Team Owner

Location: Elmhurst, IL (West Suburb of Chicago) & Home of MEGA Horsepower
Received 584 Likes on 399 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06

Default Happy Days! Finally running like a Raped Ape and Overheating Problem Also Fixed!

Well as many here may recall from my recent posts ever since the install of my new radical Yank Prothruster 4000 stall with neck snapping 2.7 str and Gertrag 3.73s (upgrade from sy 3500 and 3.42s) i couldn't get my car to run right during idle to WOT launches, as i was getting major misfiring and loss of power. Also, as recently as last week all my coolant temps were running WAY high!

Well your not going to believe it but my major problem was a freakin loose spark plug wire discoverd by John at Powerhouse Performance in Orland Park (Great G.M./Vette Mechanic). Now this was the first thing that several other mechanics also recently looked at but they were not able to find this one loose wire whcih was in the back of enjine in the hardest position to get to. Presto, all PROBLEMS seem to be fixed and just had VARARAM installed to and this Beast has NEVER RUN STRONGER! On the street (concrete) in an industrial area, my new set up laid rubber from my et streets mind you at 28psi, about 150 to 200 feet long. If she hooks at the drags and she should with 13psi in et streets, i predict 60 ft times in the 1.59 area with mid 11 second time slips.

It gets better! John at Powerhouse discovered there was a bunch of c rap (looked like a birds nest there was so much crap in there, LOL) between my ac condensor and radiator, and John shoped vaced this clean and with the advice of others here, I also changed my radiator mixture for the rest of the summer to about 80% water with 2 bottles of water wetter (on tuesday night) and my running hot problems are cured. I was running at 185 to 187 coolant all day today on a hot midwest day and tranny temps only saw about 192 or so, oil temps at only 216, and 1 week ago i was running at my hottest coolant of 235, tranny temps 226 and oil temps 252 degrees. Now its right where i want it to be at 185 and with the vararam install, new converter and gears, this Pig has never running STRONGER and i am ready to bring her to the strip on next cooler day on the weekend and TEAR IT UP BABY!

Thanks to everyone here who gave me great support, advice and input and you all know who you are. You guys are the BEST! :cheers:

Nitrovette:D (all smiles again)

ps-Also, special big thanks to the following tuners who have been a huge help to make my newest setup bad to the BONE! John and Chris of Powerhouse Performance, Chuck Johnson of Finish Line Performance, Brian of the Vette Wrench, Brian "LS1 edit man" of BV Performance and my buddy, Intel 55, who may as well be a tuner as he is very knowlegable C5 Performance Guru and let's not forget Topless Texan (always a wealth of knowledge) and JFPILLA (gave alot of helpful insight)! This buds for you guys! :cheers:

[Modified by Nitrovette, 4:20 PM 8/3/2002]

[Modified by Nitrovette, 9:53 PM 8/3/2002]
Old 08-03-2002, 06:36 PM
kwik8racr
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Re: Happy Days! Finally running like a Raped Ape and Overheating Problem Also Fixed! (Nitrovette)

Thats cool Jim, glad to see you got everything worked out, cant wait to see that thing run at the track!
Old 08-03-2002, 06:46 PM
Austrian Vette
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Default Re: Happy Days! Finally running like a Raped Ape and Overheating Problem Also Fixed! (Nitrovette)

Nitro, glad you fixed it!!!

I too had a loose spark plug wire (the one on dirvers side near firewall) and also had this lot of poopie between the coolers.

So once more we have something in common :lol:

Now bring that beast to the track and let us know how it goes!!!

Good luck and have fun!!

Michael
Old 08-03-2002, 07:27 PM
rrobert22
Melting Slicks

Thats awesome, theres no better feeling is there? :cheers: :)
Old 08-03-2002, 07:48 PM
Mike Mercury
Team Owner

Received 173 Likes on 107 Posts

Default Re: Happy Days! Finally running like a Raped Ape and Overheating Problem Also Fixed! (rrobert22)

I love it when a plan comes together ! :cheers:
Old 08-03-2002, 09:31 PM
Arnie
Le Mans Master

Cruise-In II Veteran

Glad to hear everything worked out.
Old 08-03-2002, 09:34 PM
kewlbrz
Le Mans Master

Cruise-In II Veteran
Cruise-In III Veteran

Righteous Man. :yesnod: :cheers:
Old 08-03-2002, 09:41 PM
2001 Red Coupe Bandit
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Re: Happy Days! Finally running like a Raped Ape and Overheating Problem Also Fixed! (kewlbrz)

At least one of us has come to a Happy Conclusion!!!

Glad it worked out and thanks for all your info on my posts.

The Bandit..................... :D :D :smash:
Old 08-03-2002, 10:34 PM
ToplessTexan
Safety Car

Cruise-In II Veteran

Damn birds. :cuss

:cheers:
Old 08-03-2002, 10:57 PM
bparker
Melting Slicks

Glad to heard you got all the birds - I mean bugs worked out! :lol:

Old 08-03-2002, 11:57 PM
redcorvette1995
Racer

I just have to ask how you know what a Raped Ape runs like????
Old 08-04-2002, 01:25 AM
COBrien
Drifting

Cruise-In III Veteran
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08

:cheers: :cool: That's great news! Glad to hear it's running like it should! :cheers:

Old 08-04-2002, 10:31 AM
Smoke-N-Shot
Race Director

Cruise-In II Veteran
Cruise-In III Veteran
Cruise-In VI Veteran

Congrats! :cheers:
Old 08-04-2002, 10:59 AM
abraham
Burning Brakes

Rock on!
Old 08-04-2002, 02:09 PM
NassyVette
Melting Slicks

Default Re: Happy Days! Finally running like a Raped Ape and Overheating Problem Also Fixed! (abraham)

Rock on!
Old 08-04-2002, 07:34 PM
johnnyvettes
CHICAGO CREW !
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: We are living in a Bazzaro World everything is upside down half ass backwards !
Received 90 Likes on 63 Posts
CI 4-5-6-7-8-9 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08 & '12

Default Re: Happy Days! Finally running like a Raped Ape and Overheating Problem Also Fixed! (NassyVette)

Jim Thats sounds great .I am glad to hear you got that beast running hope to see you in elmhurst weds night ! johnnyvettes :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: very :cool:
Old 08-04-2002, 07:40 PM
VERTVETTE
Drifting

Default Re: Happy Days! Finally running like a Raped Ape and Overheating Problem Also Fixed! (kwik8racr)

Get notified of new replies

To Happy Days! Finally running like a Raped Ape and Overheating Problem Also Fixed!

Old 08-04-2002, 07:52 PM
Mopar Jimmy
Team Owner

St. Jude Donor '06

Default Re: Happy Days! Finally running like a Raped Ape and Overheating Problem Also Fixed! (johnnyvettes)

Thanks Johhny Vettes and all others here for your awesome support, interest and kind words.

Looking forward to posting new 1/4 mile, new personal bests for me in the near future. Stay tuned......No pun intended! :lol:

Johhny Vettes, I will be in Elmhurst car show this Weds. as it is sports car/muscle car night as the featured "Car theme" :lol: Also, thinking about cruising by Strats on North Ave in Lombard this Tuesday.

See you soon brother and i hope your doing good with that new pewter powered coupe you just picked up! Great Choice!:D

Nitrovette
Old 08-04-2002, 09:40 PM
FreddyG
Le Mans Master

Received 27 Likes on 19 Posts

:cheers: , that beast should rock' n 'roll. What track do you go to?
Old 08-04-2002, 11:35 PM
Mopar Jimmy
Team Owner

St. Jude Donor '06

Default Re: Happy Days! Finally running like a Raped Ape and Overheating Problem Also Fixed! (LuvmyC5)

Byron, Byron, Byron Dragway Rocks! :cheers: :smash:

Nitrovette

Quick Reply: Happy Days! Finally running like a Raped Ape and Overheating Problem Also Fixed!