C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Can't get car dialed in at WOT after aggressive converter and throwing codes!

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2002, 12:15 AM
Mopar Jimmy
Team Owner

Location: Elmhurst, IL (West Suburb of Chicago) & Home of MEGA Horsepower
Received 584 Likes on 399 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06

Default Can't get car dialed in at WOT after aggressive converter and throwing codes!

As many know here i recently installed Yank Prothruster 4000, 2.7 str (upgraded from sy 3500) and 3.73 Gertrags (upgraded from 3.42s). THe car runs very good/normal under normal driving conditions and is feels no looser under normal driving conditions when compared to sy 3500 and 3.42s.

THe huge frustration is that at WOT i am having MAJOR HEADACHES! :mad After my LS1 edit tuner dialed my 1/2 and 2/3 shift points to shift where i wanted them (6400/6500 or so), the car from idle to WOT gets at times major knock retards (per autotap) about one third of the time and the other times only minimal knock retard ( a degree or two), but even when knock retard is minimal, the enjine runs like crap and seems as if its not getting enough fuel. Per my tuner, all my normal driving fuel trims etc. look perfect, but after spending approx 1.5 hours with tuner tonite at my local test and tune industrial strip, he was not able to get me corrected and i am FREAKIN FRUSTRATED! Every darn time i try to take a couple of forward steps it seems as if i take 10 steps backwards. I guess i need to follow my own advice and quit upgrading when things are running good! :U The quest for faster 1/4 mile ets is a long and tiresome road.

I am throwing the following codes associated with this newest pain in the **** situation!:

1. PCM-P1626 H (which i believe is "theft detterent syestem fuel enable circuit"-Could this be part of my problem?)

2. BCM-U1016H & U1096H (can you please tell me what codes these are and how they may be related)

3. SCM-1064H (what's this)

4. Radio-U1016 H, U1096 H and U1064H. (what's up with the radio codes)

I am taking car back to FLP to see if they can dial me in as Chuck did converter install and gears. If they can't dial it in i may have no choice but to abandon my brand new converter and go with what Chuck uses in his level IV trannys, that being an aggresive VIG!. This really SUCKS! :U

Thanks for all advice, info and feedback.

Nitrovette :confused:

[Modified by Nitrovette, 10:19 PM 7/29/2002]
Old 07-30-2002, 12:51 AM
gojo
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Re: Can't get car dialed in at WOT after aggressive converter and throwing codes! (Nitrovette)

If the only changes made were gears and converter your timing should not be too advanced. It sounds like the computor is reading slippage. Did you adjust the torque management settings?
Old 07-30-2002, 12:54 AM
Mopar Jimmy
Team Owner

St. Jude Donor '06

Default Re: Can't get car dialed in at WOT after aggressive converter and throwing codes! (Nitrovette)

I stumbled across another post and was able to get the codes deciphered. The strange one is in regards to the theft deterrent fuel enablement. The other codes are probably related to downloading changes via LS1 edit (but not sure) as most of them are in regards to "no cummunication between computer and bcm, etc.

Any thoughts?

Nitrovette

[Modified by Nitrovette, 10:55 PM 7/29/2002]
Old 07-30-2002, 12:56 AM
Mopar Jimmy
Team Owner

St. Jude Donor '06

Default Re: Can't get car dialed in at WOT after aggressive converter and throwing codes! (jfpilla)

If the only changes made were gears and converter your timing should not be too advanced. It sounds like the computor is reading slippage. Did you adjust the torque management settings?

Yes sir, torque management has been set by my tuner at the highest setting in order to make it a non-factor. I tend to agree with you though about the converter reading excess slippage, etc. and somehow this is directly related to my problem! And yes you are right that the only changes made were to the converter and gear upgrade. WIth old gear and converter i was running strong (high 11s) and never had this problem. No parameters effecting the engine (timing, air fuel, etc.) were change with LS1 edit but something is drastically not right here!

Nitrovette

[Modified by Nitrovette, 11:00 PM 7/29/2002]
Old 07-30-2002, 12:36 PM
gojo
Melting Slicks

You and the tuners will figure it out. Bear with me if my thoughts are too basic. Check with Mike at Yank. He likely has been through similar problems.
Were any wires touched at all. I have read about similar cases where putting the stock MAFT back solved it. Then of course the most frustrating situation. The coincidental breaking of something else at the same time as the new work. Like a bad computer or bad plugs or bad gas etc. Good luck. This too shall pass.
Old 07-30-2002, 12:59 PM
kp
Melting Slicks

Received 119 Likes on 96 Posts

Default Re: Can't get car dialed in at WOT after aggressive converter and throwing codes! (jfpilla)

If none of this was happeneing before the swap its very possible that a wire was pinched or pulled out somewhere (ground or otherwise). Is it possible you had a leaking battery at one time (or still do, IMO anyone that leaves a stock battery in their car that knows about the leaking is taking a chance) and now its starting to go crazy?

Gotta start somewhere...
Old 07-30-2002, 05:50 PM
Mopar Jimmy
Team Owner

St. Jude Donor '06

Gentleman:

What wires are we exactly talking that may have been knocked loose? It probably is something silly like that.

Nitrovette
Old 07-30-2002, 06:16 PM
gojo
Melting Slicks

I'm mostly thinking about some coincidence or something done under the hood that seems unrelated. I've had so many stupid things happen to me that I'm just reaching. If i had to go out on a limb, i would think programing related to the transmission is the solution. The reason I mentioned the MAFT was that you had some fuel related codes.
Old 07-30-2002, 08:23 PM
Slammed Vette
Safety Car

Cruise-In II Veteran
Cruise-In III Veteran

This may sound like a dumb suggestion,but did you have the traction control off?Mine drives like crap with it on(still messing with the tuning).
Old 07-31-2002, 12:39 AM
Mopar Jimmy
Team Owner

St. Jude Donor '06

Default Re: Can't get car dialed in at WOT after aggressive converter and throwing codes! (Slammed Vette)

Slammed:

DO Bears sheet in the woods! LOL :yesnod: :lol: Yes, i never ride with traction control on anymore, as long as i run my et streets and skinnines on the street (that being about 75% of the summer so far). All testing has been done with traction control off. It seems as if when the problem arises (about 75% of the time) that the car is either misfiring or getting major knock retard. THis really makes me quite :U but i am hopeful one of the fine tuners in the Chicagoland area can get this figured out for me as i don't want to have to give up on this new ballsy converter (which is actually very tame under normal driving conditions).

Talk to you soon Slammed,

Nitro

[Modified by Nitrovette, 10:42 PM 7/30/2002]
Old 07-31-2002, 12:59 PM
gojo
Melting Slicks

Nitro,

DO Bears sheet in the woods! LOL ?
Old 07-31-2002, 01:49 PM
gojo
Melting Slicks

You've got me hooked into your problem. So, fwiw, some more ideas. Did you raise your shift points? Is the new converter flashing higher than you want?
Not sure if you meant you are getting missfire. If you are, it could be showing up because of faster and/or higher revs. I'm sure you know all the other things that cause missfire. Spark retard I think we both feel is related to the extra slippage being read. I would do that issue first and turn it off and see the results without doing any other changes at that point. But, even if that corrects the problem, the cause could be octane, Maft, plugs wires, spark advance, etc. The Vigs are pretty aggressive. I would hate to change and have the same problem. Seems it should be way last. Stay cool. Others use this converter and have succeeded. Call Mike. Please update with results. I feel your pain. Who said that?
Old 07-31-2002, 02:01 PM
Mopar Jimmy
Team Owner

St. Jude Donor '06

[QUOTE]You've got me hooked into your problem. So, fwiw, some more ideas. Did you raise your shift points? Is the new converter flashing higher than you want?
Not sure if you meant you are getting missfire. If you are, it could be showing up because of faster and/or higher revs. I'm sure you know all the other things that cause missfire. Spark retard I think we both feel is related to the extra slippage being read. I would do that issue first and turn it off and see the results without doing any other changes at that point. But, even if that corrects the problem, the cause could be octane, Maft, plugs wires, spark advance, etc. The Vigs are pretty aggressive. I would hate to change and have the same problem. Seems it should be way last. Stay cool. Others use this converter and have succeeded. Call Mike. Please update with results. I feel your pain. Who said that?

JFPILLA:

Great suggestions here and another mehanic i spoke with here and think it is spark related etc. as he believes i am getting misfire at times. Believe me, i will not swap out converters unless as last resort if i can't get this figured out but i am cautiously optimistic that i will get this resolved.

Thanks for your great input and concern!:D

Nitro

[Modified by Nitrovette, 12:01 PM 7/31/2002]
Old 07-31-2002, 02:16 PM
Mean Green
Team Owner

CI III & IV Vote Ho
CI II, III, IV & V Vet
CI IV Bracket Champ
St. Jude Donor '03-'04

can't really help except for the codes you listed were "H" and are therefore not currently being triggered :cheers:
Old 07-31-2002, 03:23 PM
Mopar Jimmy
Team Owner

St. Jude Donor '06

Default Re: Can't get car dialed in at WOT after aggressive converter and throwing codes! (Mean Green 2000)

can't really help except for the codes you listed were "H" and are therefore not currently being triggered :cheers:
I have cleared the codes several times now and they keep returning? I know this sounds dumb, but wouldn't that mean that are being currently triggered?

Thanks, Nitro
Old 07-31-2002, 05:02 PM
gojo
Melting Slicks

http://www.obdii.com/codes.asp

If you don't have this, code finder.

Get notified of new replies

To Can't get car dialed in at WOT after aggressive converter and throwing codes!

Quick Reply: Can't get car dialed in at WOT after aggressive converter and throwing codes!