C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

And yet another "pull key - wait 10 sec" after LMC5 install thread

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2014, 06:06 PM
mrlmd
Drifting

Received 297 Likes on 198 Posts

Default And yet another "pull key - wait 10 sec" after LMC5 install thread

I can't find those other threads on the same topic without searching all day, so it's easier to add another one. Sorry.

I installed my LMC5 about 10 days ago, no trouble, as I said before, it took longer to read the 4 page directions than to actually do it. This was done prophylacticaly as I had no trouble before and there must have been some mod (maybe the GM recall) made to my car previously because my steering wheel would not lock. Anyway, it functioned fine for about a week, then I started getting the message to "pull key, wait 10 sec." when I went to start it. I did the recommended easy fix, to remove fuse #23 and to disconnect the battery and let the computer reset, and this worked for a day or two. Then backing out of a space yesterday, the car shut off with the "service column lock" message. I pulled the key, was able to restart it, move about another 10 feet, then the message reappeared and the car shut off again. Needless to say i was f**king pissed. The third time, luckily for me, the message did not reappear and I could drive the 5 miles to get home. Talking to Richard at Compliance Parts, he told me that maybe 1 out of every 200 C5's have this problem with the BCM and to do the brown wire fix as outlined in the directions on the bottom of page 2. I did that this morning and have started the car a half dozen times and get no messages, so right now everything seems to be working OK. Time will tell if this is a satisfactory remedy. I really dislike having to fix a fix for something that wasn't broken to begin with, but, this was done prophylacticaly to prevent the dreaded fuel shutoff, and after having experienced that, I'm still glad I did this. When that message and the fuel shutoff happens, you are just dead, sitting there wherever the car is, and that's not really an appealing situation. I hope my little extra brown wire hookup solves the little glitch I had, but I think everyone with one of these cars should install that LMC5 module to prevent getting stuck, and it's usually where you don't want to be.
The following users liked this post:
SpeedRacerMach (02-23-2019)
Old 09-04-2014, 06:55 PM
pewter99
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,195 Likes on 704 Posts
Pilot of Beer Force 1
Tampa Regional Coordinator
CI 4-5-6-7-8 Veteran
Organizer St. Jude Fundraiser
I believe in the Beer Fairy

Old 09-04-2014, 07:13 PM
pewter99
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,195 Likes on 704 Posts
Pilot of Beer Force 1
Tampa Regional Coordinator
CI 4-5-6-7-8 Veteran
Organizer St. Jude Fundraiser
I believe in the Beer Fairy

Originally Posted by 8VETTE7
Robert,

When you installed the CLB in your 99, had the "spliced purple wire " mod been done to it by the stealership??

Or is the car an automatic??
AFAIK no. I have no idea what they did the first two times it was flat bedded to the dealer in the early days. Whatever they did din't work because it wasn't a month between trip 1 and 2. When it came back after the 2nd trip I immediately installed the CLB and never looked back. I do know that a couple years later my SA told me there was an open TSB or recall on my vehicle to fix the column lock. I told them to close it as I fixed it and did not want the recall performed. He said okie dokie
Old 09-04-2014, 09:15 PM
mrlmd
Drifting

If you should get the "pull Key..... message again, simply do what it says, Pull the key fopr at least 10 seconds. Reinsert the key and you will NOT get the message.

Then immediately contact the vendor again for his help.

THe brown wire fix seems to work for the "pull key.... message but if it should not in your case, contact Compliance immediately.
If you read my post you would know that I did that. I pulled the key, numerous times, but the messages kept coming back, multiple times, not consistently, seemingly randomly. I did all the tricks recommended to reset the BCM until the dreaded fuel shutoff occurred. Richard, the vendor, was contacted and he told me to do the brown wire connection to the BCM. You can be sure I will contact him again if this doesn't work.
Old 09-05-2014, 05:58 AM
seu318
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I also did a preemptive LMC5 install - ('99 A/T coupe 167K miles) - as I felt it was relatively cheap insurance. Well - shortly after the install - I actually started getting the pull-key message. Was kind of surprised at first, but I went back and re-read the instructions - and then went back in for the brown wire fix. Been fine ever since - no recurrence of the pull-key message. All is well.
Old 09-05-2014, 12:22 PM
thepitstop2010
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Anyone have the "brown wire fix instructions"?
Old 09-05-2014, 12:40 PM
mrlmd
Drifting

It's on the bottom of page 2 in the instruction manual and also reproduced here in one of the multiple threads on this subject.
Basically you again disconnect the neg battery terminal, remove the upper larger pink connector from the BCM, pull out the lower dark green 3rd wire from the right (diagonally down to the left from the previous one you replaced with the LMC5 wire) and replace this one with the brown wire from the LMC5, then cut the brown short wire loop sticking out of the LMC5, cap all the wire ends with the caps provided, replace the BCM back in it's holder, reconnect the battery, and you are done. Hopefully forever.
The following 2 users liked this post by mrlmd:
99bluvet (03-20-2018), SpeedRacerMach (02-23-2019)
Old 09-05-2014, 12:51 PM
Corvette_Ed
Race Director

Received 2,846 Likes on 1,802 Posts

Everyone should keep in mind that the "brown wire fix" will not work in all instances. Some of these cars (mine is one of them, yippee...) don't like the regular LMC5 and have to get either the LMC5-R or another version. Mine, as mentioned, is one of the oddballs and I had to go with the LMC5-R to fix mine for good.

Which reminds me....I forgot to mail the original back to Richard. Does anyone happen to have his mailing address or Web address handy? I'm on a different computer and don't have the links on this one. Thanks!
Old 09-05-2014, 01:30 PM
Corvette_Ed
Race Director

Received 2,846 Likes on 1,802 Posts

Thank you.
Old 09-05-2014, 09:19 PM
Norm07
Racer

Received 75 Likes on 51 Posts
Default All Good Now

2000 Coupe with the typical column lock/fuel shut off issue. Installed the LMC5 but like the OP the pull key wait 10 second message remained. Did the brown wire, cut the loop and now all is good. No more problems.

Get notified of new replies

To And yet another "pull key - wait 10 sec" after LMC5 install thread

Quick Reply: And yet another "pull key - wait 10 sec" after LMC5 install thread