C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Electrical Problems after Key Fob update

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2014, 02:28 PM
w1ps
Heel & Toe
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Electrical Problems after Key Fob update

The car is a '98 coupe with manual transmission. I picked up an update kit from Gene and followed the directions to the tee. I went to DIC and had two codes indicating no comm. with HVAC and RDCM. I checked the fuses and the HVAC was blown and the RDCM was fine. I replaced the HVAC fuse and now I have all no comm messages on the DIC. Other messages on the DIC include "Reduced Engine Power, Shocks Inoperative, Service Vehicle Soon, Low Fuel and Check TPMS". Of course, the car will now not start. Any ideas what I should be looking at.

In a seperate project the day before, I successfully installed the LMC-5 and the car started and ran fine with no error codes.

Any ideas would be appreciated.
Thanks
Old 08-23-2014, 03:17 PM
BigGun
Drifting

Received 67 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by w1ps
The car is a '98 coupe with manual transmission. I picked up an update kit from Gene and followed the directions to the tee. I went to DIC and had two codes indicating no comm. with HVAC and RDCM. I checked the fuses and the HVAC was blown and the RDCM was fine. I replaced the HVAC fuse and now I have all no comm messages on the DIC. Other messages on the DIC include "Reduced Engine Power, Shocks Inoperative, Service Vehicle Soon, Low Fuel and Check TPMS". Of course, the car will now not start. Any ideas what I should be looking at.

In a seperate project the day before, I successfully installed the LMC-5 and the car started and ran fine with no error codes.

Any ideas would be appreciated.
Thanks
The problem is with the serial data line. You need to double check your work and make sure you didn't damage any of the wiring. This post will help you get it sorted out. http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c5-t...-there-is.html

Last edited by BigGun; 08-23-2014 at 03:20 PM.
Old 08-23-2014, 03:52 PM
feeder82
Melting Slicks

Received 981 Likes on 624 Posts

Dead battery?
Old 08-23-2014, 04:42 PM
dadaroo
Le Mans Master

Received 290 Likes on 226 Posts

Boy, I sure hope you didn't put power into the serial bus. I assume you went to the newer RFA design. Early ones had 2 power feeds, a ground, and a serial bus wire. The newer ones like my 2001 just have one power, ground, and serial bus feed.

I recommend you disconnect your RFA and see what can be recovered. We can proceed from there. You need to post what the instructions are.
Old 08-23-2014, 09:29 PM
Bill Curlee
Tech Contributor

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,180 Likes on 1,583 Posts
CI 6,7,8,9,11 Vet
St. Jude Donor '08

YEP!!
Old 08-24-2014, 07:59 PM
w1ps
Heel & Toe
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well, I solved my problem. Unplugged the RFA and everything returned except No Comm to RFA. I rechecked my wiring and discovered I had (of course) screwed up the wiring to the RFA. Once corrected, everything works!! The only code is C2121 which until I get the TPMs programmed will be there. At least now I have an updated RFA/TPMS and the car runs fine.
Thanks for the assistance and am I ever embarrassed.

Get notified of new replies

To Electrical Problems after Key Fob update

Quick Reply: Electrical Problems after Key Fob update