C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

DIC low voltage

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2014, 11:31 AM
JNBc5vette
7th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default DIC low voltage

Hey all new long time lurker here

My DIC volt Meter is reading 11.0v (engine off) but checking at the battery or alternator shows 12.7ish. With the engine running, the DIC shows 12.5-12.8, but checking at the battery/alt I'm seeing 13.9-14.5

Ever since this issue popped up, I've had the dreaded ABS/TCS service lights come on intermittently. Code is 28-TCS C1255. All systems will function fine when the lights are off.
Found a broken wire at the EBCM plug and have fixed that with a new pin/wire.

Where do I start?
Thanks
Old 08-21-2014, 12:48 PM
lionelhutz
Race Director

Received 845 Likes on 721 Posts

I would check the connections at the starter solenoid and the connection of the main lead from the battery positive to the under hood fuse stud.

If that doesn't pan out then I'd start checking the grounds next.
Old 08-21-2014, 01:19 PM
JNBc5vette
7th Gear

Originally Posted by lionelhutz
I would check the connections at the starter solenoid and the connection of the main lead from the battery positive to the under hood fuse stud.

If that doesn't pan out then I'd start checking the grounds next.
I get battery voltage from battery + to all the grounds under the hood, and the power connection on the fuse block shows battery voltage when grounded, (I've thoroughly cleaned all the grounds with sandpaper.
Old 08-21-2014, 03:00 PM
dadaroo
Le Mans Master

Received 290 Likes on 226 Posts

Could be the electrical portion of the ignition switch. Common problem since the contacts carry a good bit of current and they can get burned and drop the voltage.

I can get you some info on how to test for that later when I get home. Some people clean the internal contacts or just replace it if that is the issue. I have that info too.

With regard to that code it is called the EBCM "code of death". I think it is separate from your specific voltage issue. Could be a connection issue but if not then it may be a much more serious issue.

What year is your car?
Old 08-21-2014, 03:08 PM
JNBc5vette
7th Gear

Originally Posted by dadaroo
Could be the electrical portion of the ignition switch. Common problem since the contacts carry a good bit of current and they can get burned and drop the voltage.

I can get you some info on how to test for that later when I get home. Some people clean the internal contacts or just replace it if that is the issue. I have that info too.

With regard to that code it is called the EBCM "code of death". I think it is separate from your specific voltage issue. Could be a connection issue but if not then it may be a much more serious issue.

What year is your car?
2000 coupe 6spd

I followed bill's ign switch repair, (my contacts all tested fine before, and maybe slightly improved after the clean). I've got 2-3 fuses showing a lower voltage than the rest, but I don't have the interior fuse cover to tell me what they are
Old 08-21-2014, 03:43 PM
Bill Curlee
Tech Contributor

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,180 Likes on 1,583 Posts
CI 6,7,8,9,11 Vet
St. Jude Donor '08

Originally Posted by JNBc5vette
2000 coupe 6spd

I followed bill's ign switch repair, (my contacts all tested fine before, and maybe slightly improved after the clean). I've got 2-3 fuses showing a lower voltage than the rest, but I don't have the interior fuse cover to tell me what they are
100% Correct

The DIC Analog and Digital voltage reading is read or comes from a contact from the IGNITION SWITCH.

When the contacts get dirty, the switch supplies less and less output until one day, you see low voltage DTCs when you read codes

The LDCM and RDCM are the most sensitive.

Replace or service the Ignition Switch, clear your DTCs and see what you get.

Bill
Old 08-21-2014, 04:10 PM
JNBc5vette
7th Gear

Originally Posted by Bill Curlee
100% Correct

The DIC Analog and Digital voltage reading is read or comes from a contact from the IGNITION SWITCH.

When the contacts get dirty, the switch supplies less and less output until one day, you see low voltage DTCs when you read codes

Bill
Thanks for replying! I've read tons of your posts. I'm baffled on the key switch tho because it ohms out correctly (when I checked it before dis
Old 08-21-2014, 04:12 PM
JNBc5vette
7th Gear

100% Correct

Bill
Thanks for replying! I've read tons of your posts. I'm baffled on the key switch tho because it ohms out correctly (when I checked it before dis-assembly it was still "in spec" if that's what ya wanna call it. There was no pitting, just mild carbon. 80% basically wiped off with a rag. 1000grit took care of the rest
I'll open it back up and get some pics with my meter too
Old 08-21-2014, 06:23 PM
Bill Curlee
Tech Contributor

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,180 Likes on 1,583 Posts
CI 6,7,8,9,11 Vet
St. Jude Donor '08

Thanks for replying! I've read tons of your posts. I'm baffled on the key switch tho because it ohms out correctly (when I checked it before dis-assembly it was still "in spec" if that's what ya wanna call it. There was no pitting, just mild carbon. 80% basically wiped off with a rag. 1000grit took care of the rest
I'll open it back up and get some pics with my meter too
Your switch could be fine. What about the two connectors that plug into the switch? Take a look at the female pins. They could be spread apart and making poor contact

The two large pins in the black connector are dirty and spread apart"

Bill
Old 08-22-2014, 06:18 AM
dadaroo
Le Mans Master

Received 290 Likes on 226 Posts

2000 coupe 6spd

Look on your owners manual for fuse locations.
Old 08-25-2014, 08:00 PM
JNBc5vette
7th Gear

Your switch could be fine. What about the two connectors that plug into the switch? Take a look at the female pins. They could be spread apart and making poor contact

The two large pins in the black connector are dirty and spread apart"

Bill
Sorry for the late reply back to this. work has been really busy.

ok, so looking at my connectors, one or two appear to be kinda smushed.. how do i remove them and re-spread them..

Get notified of new replies

To DIC low voltage

Quick Reply: DIC low voltage