C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help..what's the fix for the duct

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2014, 09:41 AM
SaxyVette
Drifting

Received 91 Likes on 80 Posts

Default Help..what's the fix for the duct

This plastic duct thing inside my bumper is loose..wondering how to secure it properly...??

Attached Images  
Old 08-20-2014, 10:48 AM
frsr06
Drifting

Received 190 Likes on 132 Posts

The duct just slips over the "flare nozzle" on the inside of the front bumper. If the duct is too lose try some clear two sided tape. I used that on the screens I installed in that area because they kept falling out.
Old 08-20-2014, 12:59 PM
3sACROWD
Melting Slicks

Received 446 Likes on 328 Posts

I agree with frsr06. Place your fingers inside the duct and align the duct with the opening. Once aligned properly, it should spring forward and hold in place.

For future reference, you can push the duct down like it is to reach in and replace the DRL bulb when / if you blow a bulb. Once you know how to do it, it takes 5 minutes or less to change the bulb and reposition the duct. The key is to know that the bulb base has a locking mechanism. Push in the locking mechanism, turn the base, and it separates from the housing. Remember the orientation of the base so you know how to reinstall after replacing the bulb.
Old 08-20-2014, 10:21 PM
SaxyVette
Drifting

Hey guys THANKS this is good info (on the DRL bulb too) nice to know. I did try to pull the duct from outside from the front. But it didn't want to pop on. I'll try again.

I'm still a bit frustrated, I think the duct got pulled off when the guy was replacing my pass side headlamp gear, but..that Lamp gear fix didn't work as the whole motor seems shot. Back to square one..

To complete my frustration today the driver side headlamp is acted up and won't open either, stuck down solid..I tried raising it manually and the black twisty **** came off in my hand..aarrrggghhh, hasn't been a great day in my world, guess I need 2 motors now.
Old 08-20-2014, 10:34 PM
frsr06
Drifting

Received 190 Likes on 132 Posts

Originally Posted by SaxyVette
Hey guys THANKS this is good info (on the DRL bulb too) nice to know. I did try to pull the duct from outside from the front. But it didn't want to pop on. I'll try again.

I'm still a bit frustrated, I think the duct got pulled off when the guy was replacing my pass side headlamp gear, but..that Lamp gear fix didn't work as the whole motor seems shot. Back to square one..

To complete my frustration today the driver side headlamp is acted up and won't open either, stuck down solid..I tried raising it manually and the black twisty **** came off in my hand..aarrrggghhh, hasn't been a great day in my world, guess I need 2 motors now.
If you are ready for a longer job you can take the front wheel off and then remove the interior wheel well facia to get at the duct from the back side. Not complicated just a pain.
Old 08-21-2014, 12:05 AM
SaxyVette
Drifting

Thanks '06 I'll probably wait 'til I have the headlamp motor replaced..hopefully it can be reached that way..I'm not having much luck trying to pull it back on from the front.
Old 08-21-2014, 02:24 PM
3sACROWD
Melting Slicks

Received 446 Likes on 328 Posts

Given the current position, the duct should feel like it is being pushed into that position. It might take a little force to move it but don't be afraid of it as it is pretty flexible. Maybe it is a little out of shape due to being in that position for awhile. If the duct seems to be flopping around, it might not be attached / properly positioned at the rear. The duct fits around the hole you're trying to align it to; not inside. Look at the other side for reference.

If you have the headlight motors replaced, it would be an ideal time to get to the duct. There are 4 screws that hold the headlight lid in place and three pivot bolts to remove for the headlight assemly and then you have good access from the top. Nothing too difficult.

Last edited by 3sACROWD; 08-21-2014 at 02:28 PM.
Old 08-26-2014, 03:05 PM
SaxyVette
Drifting

Fresh headlight motors going in next week, I'll get the mech to re-attach at that time..Thanks for the feedback..!
Old 08-28-2014, 05:34 PM
SaxyVette
Drifting

Duct is fixed, also new headlight motors now installed.. Thanks once again for all replies.

Get notified of new replies

To Help..what's the fix for the duct

Quick Reply: Help..what's the fix for the duct