C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Another steering wheel lock question - verify with pix

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2014, 12:54 AM
civi
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Another steering wheel lock question - verify with pix

So in my research on the forums, it appears that the easiest way to tell if a fix was done is to see if your steering wheel moves with the key out. Mine turns side to side with the key not in the ignition.

I also found a receipt from the prior owner that the recall was done at the dealership.

I have a 99 Coupe with the 6 sp. manual. I took a picture of the control module under the mat on the passenger side to see if the fix was done there.

Can you all take a peek and see if it looks like it has please?

If not, do I still have to worry about it and what other reason would my steering wheel still move in those directions?

Thanks
Attached Images  
Old 08-20-2014, 02:53 AM
civi
Instructor

Default thank you 8VETTE7

Great detail and I will check the receipt tomorrow.
Old 08-20-2014, 10:45 AM
civi
Instructor

Default The receipt shows it was done in 2010

So is all good do you think?

Or should I take more precautions?
Attached Images  
Old 08-20-2014, 11:25 AM
mrlmd
Drifting

Received 297 Likes on 198 Posts

Do you know if there's a GM site you can go to online, if you furnish a VIN, that can tell you if any recalls for this (or any other problems) have been done, or do you have to go to a dealer to find this out?
Old 08-20-2014, 03:10 PM
mrlmd
Drifting

Originally Posted by 8VETTE7
Call the GM Customer service hot line (# located in the back of your owners manual) and have your VIN ready. They will be able to tell you if there are any open recalls but as far as I know they cannot tell you the date when they were done. As I mentioned the GM recall is NOT a permanent fix for the column lock symptoms..... Only the installation of an aftermarket solution can guarantee that you will not get stranded by the column lock system...........

What year is your car and is it a manual or automatic trans?? Makes a difference./....
I have a 2000 coupe, automatic. I am probably going to get the LMC5 one of these days, but I was just interested if anything was done to this car before I got it last year.

Last edited by mrlmd; 08-21-2014 at 11:15 AM.
Old 08-20-2014, 04:56 PM
civi
Instructor

Default Might as well just get the LMC5

For piece of mind I guess. Just to play it safe. Thank you everyone
Old 08-21-2014, 06:35 PM
mrlmd
Drifting

All these recent threads on here about the potential for the column lock problem - you guys are worrying the crap out of me out of getting stranded someplace I don't want to be, so, even though my car runs perfectly and I have no idea of what was done to it before to solve this problem, I just ordered the LMC5. It's cheap enough, $40 + $3 shipping to me, less than a tank of gas and worth it in every respect if it prevents that problem. Now I can't want for it to arrive so I can have some fun putting it in and tinkering with my car.
Old 08-21-2014, 08:45 PM
civi
Instructor

Default just bought mine via

Ebay. I did use our vendor's eBay site

Originally Posted by mrlmd
All these recent threads on here about the potential for the column lock problem - you guys are worrying the crap out of me out of getting stranded someplace I don't want to be, so, even though my car runs perfectly and I have no idea of what was done to it before to solve this problem, I just ordered the LMC5. It's cheap enough, $40 + $3 shipping to me, less than a tank of gas and worth it in every respect if it prevents that problem. Now I can't want for it to arrive so I can have some fun putting it in and tinkering with my car.

Get notified of new replies

To Another steering wheel lock question - verify with pix

Quick Reply: Another steering wheel lock question - verify with pix