C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

rear differential leaking

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2014, 01:05 AM
whydallas
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default rear differential leaking

How much should it cost to replace the three gaskets on 1999 manual. I have a quote for $1100 total. on the rear differential..... is this a good price,,,,
Old 08-21-2014, 03:26 PM
jimlikeschevys
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by whydallas
How much should it cost to replace the three gaskets on 1999 manual. I have a quote for $1100 total. on the rear differential..... is this a good price,,,,
I always try to put things in perspective by looking at the cost per hour. At a shop charging 100 bucks an hour, thats like 10 hours of labor (I am assuming the gaskets are going to be less than 100 bucks). Seems like anyone that knows what they are doing should be able to do the job in much less time. If it were me, I'd get another quote.
Old 08-21-2014, 04:40 PM
Bill Curlee
Tech Contributor

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,180 Likes on 1,583 Posts
CI 6,7,8,9,11 Vet
St. Jude Donor '08

Thats friggen highway robbery. Who made that quote????

Are you willing to do the job your self???????

Where is it leaking? Three gaskets????

If it were me,, I would WIPE down all the oil and once its clean, take it for a 15-20 mile drive and come back and inspect it to help pin point the leak point/s.

The most common leak points are the left and right output shaft seals.

Theres a LARGE O Ring that seals the differential/transmission where they connect together.

I would suspect the output shaft seals over the diff/trans seal.

Heres a few post to keep you busy for a while. Take a read and you will be able to see what in a OUTPUT SHAFT SEAL job.

- C5 Differential Seal replacement: http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c5-g...on-photos.html

If you take the rear end out, might want to consider some cost effective UP_Grades.. If nothing else, replace your limited slip clutches and Beleview Springs:

- C5, ragtopws6 , Upgrading your C5 rear with C6 Z06 guts, : http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c5-g...-z06-guts.html
-

- C5, Its_Go_Time, Output Shaft Install - Left and Right: http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c5-t...post1573407966

Something else to consider and check is, Your differential has a Vent on top if the case. Its a ONE WAY check valve. It lets pressure and gasses OUT but should seal shut when the diff cools off. IF,,, that vent is stuck SHUT, it will cause the diff to pressureize and leak

If the vent is working correctly, it will allow the case to sit in a slight vacuum when the case cools off. if it doesnt shut/seal when the diff cools off, the seals can leak more than they normally would.

A simple way to check is when the car is cold and you remove the fill plug, you should hear a very slight inrush of air into the case.

Bill
Old 08-21-2014, 11:23 PM
whydallas
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default leaking but

I did get a second opinion from a corvette specialty shop in addison, tx. replacing both sides and the rear of the differential for $550.00. My 99 standard just started leaking from the bottom rear, not the sides. such a small drop coming out but it bothered me, so I am getting that fixed and I figured why not do the sides also. I am not inclined to do it myself, cause i always have extra parts when finished, that should not be there... Thanks for replying....
The following users liked this post:
SpeedRacerMach (03-06-2020)

Get notified of new replies

To rear differential leaking

Quick Reply: rear differential leaking