C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

?? on TPSM and sunload sensor

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2014, 07:43 PM
roboref
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default ?? on TPSM and sunload sensor

Doing some deferred maintenance work on 2001 Corvette.

1. Having new sensor put in front 2 wheels is there some programming that needs to be done so the correct tire sensors are know. Ie (knows LR and RR) but how will it know which is RF and LF?

Found answer, funny how you search and can't find it and then ask question do another search and find it.

nope, they wont program either

item 6 is what wont happen?

1) Turn ignition on
2) Press "Reset" button in order to clear any IPC display warning messages
3) Press and release the "Options" button on the DIC to scroll through the display options until the IPC display is blank
4) Press and hold the DIC "Reset" button for 3 seconds
5) Press the "Options" button again until TIRE TRAINING message appears

6) Press "Reset" button until the IPC "Learn L Front Tire" message appears in order to begin the programming

7) Install the J41760 Tire Pressure Monitor (TPM) System Programming Tool (large magnet will do) over the left front valve stem
8) The horn will sound, indicating the left front TPM sensor is programmed (if this takes more than 15 seconds, pull magnet back and try again, it will give you three tries. Then you must start over)
9) When the horn sounds, proceed to program the next TPM sensor in the following order as directed by the IPC messages: -Learn R Front Tire -Learn R Rear Tire -Learn L Rear Tire Programming can be canceled by turning ignition off, waiting 2 minutes with no sensors being learned, finishing all 4 wheels or through the DIC. If the programming is canceled with less than 4 sensors learned, it will only accept the codes programmed up to that point.

2. Have the sunload sensor code and went to replace it and the cord is not attached to the cable in the dash. Several years ago the dash had to be removed after some vandalism, and it might be possible that the cable just didn't get re-connected. just don't know. I am looking for some help on how I might find 9(ish) the cable out of the dash without entirely removing the dash. I didn't even know it was there until researching the code. A/C is fine, so not a huge issue. Just hoping someone could give me a suggestion.

Last edited by roboref; 08-10-2014 at 07:47 PM.
Old 08-11-2014, 07:53 AM
Nate@VanBortelChevy
Platinum Supporting Dealership

Received 336 Likes on 126 Posts

You don't need to do #6 in your list of programming the TPM sensors. After you command the car into tire pressure sensor learn mode, go to the LF sensor and learn it.

There should be the harness for the light sensor tucked in the dash somewhere. If the car was vandalized who knows if it got cut or pulled out. You might have to take some panels off to find it.
Old 08-11-2014, 12:39 PM
roboref
Intermediate

Default What kind of magnet do I need to program sensors

Saw several videos on using a magnet to put on each sensor in order for it to be learned. Is this any magnet, specialized magnet or I saw one that looked like a circular magnet with a hole that could fit over the sensor.

Also does anyone know if Discount tire will do the programming?

Thanks again for the help!
Old 08-11-2014, 04:18 PM
Bill Curlee
Tech Contributor

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,180 Likes on 1,583 Posts
CI 6,7,8,9,11 Vet
St. Jude Donor '08

Almost any fairly strong magnet will do the trick.

Every Microwave has TWO very power magnets that works EXCELLENT.

Just find a dead microwave on on the side of the road and remove the magnatron tube and extract the magnets.

Bill
Old 08-11-2014, 05:24 PM
roboref
Intermediate

Default Bill, Thanks

I have lurked and read many posts over the years here in the forums and have always enjoyed your knowledgeable posts. The information has made repairs much easier.

Many thanks not just to Bill but all those with helpful tips. Great forum here

Get notified of new replies

To ?? on TPSM and sunload sensor

Quick Reply: ?? on TPSM and sunload sensor