C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New TPMS but still not training?

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2014, 01:46 PM
cdnwillyg
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New TPMS but still not training?

Just had 4 new tpms installed for 2004 C5 and can't get DIC to acknowledge them. Portable unit at tire shop sees all 4, what is wrong and what do I need to do?
Old 08-08-2014, 01:52 PM
3boystoys
Melting Slicks

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Sure you got the right sensors for your year car?
Old 08-08-2014, 02:06 PM
cdnwillyg
Intermediate

Originally Posted by 3boystoys
Sure you got the right sensors for your year car?
Yes, they are from TITAN and for 2001-2004 C5 Corvettes. 315mhz.
Old 08-08-2014, 02:12 PM
3boystoys
Melting Slicks

how did you try to program them?
Old 08-08-2014, 02:15 PM
cdnwillyg
Intermediate

Originally Posted by 3boystoys
how did you try to program them?
The tire shop tried using the portable machine, it said it had intiated LF but DIC showed that it was still looking for it. Then I tried deflating the tire 10lbs. as per instructions and still nothing changed.
Old 08-08-2014, 02:40 PM
3boystoys
Melting Slicks

Try this:

Old 08-08-2014, 07:36 PM
cdnwillyg
Intermediate

Originally Posted by 8VETTE7
Many threads with issues with Titan TPMS on this Forum and yours is just another...........
Would you know what the solution was/is?
Old 08-08-2014, 08:37 PM
tbrowne
Pro

Received 100 Likes on 83 Posts

I can't say what the solution is for this OP but I had a similar issue in February. I had four new sensors put into my 04 at Discount Tires Direct in Dayton, OH. The tech was unable to program the tires with either a tool or a magnet. He advised that I take the car to a dealer for service. The DIC showed XXXX for all four tires after leaving Discount Tire. I drove home and tried to program the sensors myself with a speaker magnet without any luck. I ordered a Schrader 20143 TPMS Magnet from Amazon as a last resort and it did the trick. All four tires programmed the first time through with the Schrader magnet. I have no idea why the tire store couldn't get them to program or why the Schrader magnet worked when it did. For less than $20.00 dollars, I'd get the Schrader magnet and give it a try.
Old 08-08-2014, 11:15 PM
Bill Curlee
Tech Contributor

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,180 Likes on 1,583 Posts
CI 6,7,8,9,11 Vet
St. Jude Donor '08

You MUST use the DIC to train our C5 TPMs

Find the BLANK program in the DIC and press reset. Select TPM Training

YOU MUST USE A MAGNET at each valve stem The sensor is on the INBOARD side of the valve stem

Your FIRST sensor program wheel will be the drivers front.

BC
Old 08-08-2014, 11:16 PM
cdnwillyg
Intermediate

Originally Posted by tbrowne
I can't say what the solution is for this OP but I had a similar issue in February. I had four new sensors put into my 04 at Discount Tires Direct in Dayton, OH. The tech was unable to program the tires with either a tool or a magnet. He advised that I take the car to a dealer for service. The DIC showed XXXX for all four tires after leaving Discount Tire. I drove home and tried to program the sensors myself with a speaker magnet without any luck. I ordered a Schrader 20143 TPMS Magnet from Amazon as a last resort and it did the trick. All four tires programmed the first time through with the Schrader magnet. I have no idea why the tire store couldn't get them to program or why the Schrader magnet worked when it did. For less than $20.00 dollars, I'd get the Schrader magnet and give it a try.
With the Titans you need to change tire pressure +/- 5-10 lbs and this is suppose to activate the module for DIC but not in this case. I emailed Titan to see what their solution is but my guess nothing will happen or they will blame it on the electronics in the car. Which is why I came here to see if there is something that needs to be done that I'm not aware of.
Old 08-08-2014, 11:19 PM
cdnwillyg
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Bill Curlee
You MUST use the DIC to train our C5 TPMs

Find the BLANK program in the DIC and press reset. Select TPM Training

YOU MUST USE A MAGNET at each valve stem The sensor is on the INBOARD side of the valve stem

Your FIRST sensor program wheel will be the drivers front.

BC
This is for the GM type TPMS I believe BC, after market ones use this inflation/deflation method to trigger their modules in the tire, as per instructions from Titan anyways.
Old 08-09-2014, 11:20 AM
jamieo
Melting Slicks

Received 544 Likes on 407 Posts

I used a magnet to program my Titan sensors as well as a friend of mine's.If the magnet doesn't work on the stem try laying it over the sensor on the barrel of the wheel.It is always a good idea to see if they will program BEFORE they are mounted.
Old 08-09-2014, 05:42 PM
cdnwillyg
Intermediate

Originally Posted by jamieo
I used a magnet to program my Titan sensors as well as a friend of mine's.If the magnet doesn't work on the stem try laying it over the sensor on the barrel of the wheel.It is always a good idea to see if they will program BEFORE they are mounted.
Good advise, however a little late in my case.
One would think that these aftermarket vendors would make sure they work according to the specs. of the vehicle they make them for. And to follow their instructions they need to be mounted in order to increase or decrease air pressure.
Old 08-18-2014, 05:10 PM
cdnwillyg
Intermediate

Originally Posted by cdnwillyg
Good advise, however a little late in my case.
One would think that these aftermarket vendors would make sure they work according to the specs. of the vehicle they make them for. And to follow their instructions they need to be mounted in order to increase or decrease air pressure.
Okay assuming the tire sensors are working, how do you check the DIC if it is functioning properly? I took my senors from the new tires that came with the new rims and ran a magnet all over them all 4 and still nothing.
Old 08-18-2014, 10:01 PM
SPS
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by cdnwillyg
... and ran a magnet all over them all 4 and still nothing.

Ran a magnet all over the tires???? All 4 ??? Don't go to the next tire until the horn has beeped for the first. Helps if you have a strong magnet. You hold it at the valve stem, not all over the tire. First time I did it with a 3/8" x 1/2" neodymium magnet. It finally worked, but I almost gave up. Second time I did it with a bigger magnet -- woofer magnet out of door panel speaker. Much better. Seems to like you just holding the magnet steady beside the valve stem rather than waving it.
First time was a pain, so second time I told the tire shop to do it. They tried and tried using their universal programmer and could not program it. I was ready to buy the new fob/receiver system and figured "what the heck, I will try it the old fashioned way, on the DIC". Worked like a charm.
Old 08-18-2014, 10:40 PM
cdnwillyg
Intermediate

Originally Posted by SPS
Ran a magnet all over the tires???? All 4 ??? Don't go to the next tire until the horn has beeped for the first. Helps if you have a strong magnet. You hold it at the valve stem, not all over the tire. First time I did it with a 3/8" x 1/2" neodymium magnet. It finally worked, but I almost gave up. Second time I did it with a bigger magnet -- woofer magnet out of door panel speaker. Much better. Seems to like you just holding the magnet steady beside the valve stem rather than waving it.
First time was a pain, so second time I told the tire shop to do it. They tried and tried using their universal programmer and could not program it. I was ready to buy the new fob/receiver system and figured "what the heck, I will try it the old fashioned way, on the DIC". Worked like a charm.
I have sensors in my hand, in the car and used a magnet all over the sensors and still nothing on the DIC. My question is how to prove that the DIC/car portion is not at fault??
Old 08-19-2014, 12:47 AM
cdnwillyg
Intermediate

Did you follow the steps in the Video above (post #6) to bring up the TPMS training function in the DIC???? As has been said above you MUST start there. That part does NOT require a magnet. Once the training function is started and the horn honks to indicate the first TPMS is trained, the message in the DIC will change to tell you which TPMS to train next. The horn will honk after each TPMS is trained. The actual tire pressures will not change until the car has been driven with the trained TPMS.

If your trying to tell us that you cannot get the TPMS training to display in the DIC then possibly a previous owner had the TPMS RPO programmed out of the BCM. That is possible for 2001 and newer C5's. requires a TECH II device to remove or add the RPO to the BCM. It could also be a bad BCM. Has the BCM ever gotten wet?
I get the DIC to the tire learn portion, learn LF but will not acknowledge or sound horn. BCM wet not to my knowledge, fobs work great for the doors. Any way to check BCM?

Get notified of new replies

To New TPMS but still not training?

Old 08-19-2014, 09:12 AM
cdnwillyg
Intermediate

If you get to the "learn LF" then the TPMS RPO is still programmed into the BCM. Not getting the horn to honk is most likely a TPMS issue and NOT a BCM issue. Is there a date code on the TPMS? The OEM ones have a circle with an arrow pointing to a number between 1 and 12 to indicate the month and a two digit year (one digit on either side of the arrow). Perhaps you have old TPMS and the batteries are bad???

You might try a stronger magnet. Are the TPMS that you cannot train Titan by chance??? Many have had issues trying to get that particular brand to train in a C5. If they are Titan then I suggest that you contact the company with your issue. You would not be the first......

As far as checking the BCM, it is located in the passenger foot well to the left of the IP fuse box behind the toe kick at the end of the foot well. The board is inside a large aluminum container. Look at the aluminum container for white oxidation stains that would indicate that water had gotten in that area and possibly had contaminated the board inside the container. Container is NOT water tight.

If you have water stains on the container then I would start by reading the following thread:

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c5-t...ak-checks.html
Thanks for the info...these are Titan TPMS. Well just got off the phone with Titan and looks like there was a bad batch of sensors that they are aware of. They are sending out new ones at their expense for me to try...hope all goes well. One thing they told me which I was not aware of is that the old sensors need to be 100 feet away so there is no chance of DIC picking them up. To be continued!

Last edited by cdnwillyg; 08-19-2014 at 09:36 AM. Reason: new info
Old 09-04-2014, 09:30 PM
cdnwillyg
Intermediate

That is simply BS. Once you program the new ones the computer will not see the old ones even if they were installed in the wheels. And when you are programming the TPMS you need the magnet to wake up the TPMS so it will transmit to the computer so its ID gets learned and the horn gets honked to let you know that sensor is trained.. Pure BS from who ever told you that...........

Good luck with the new sensors....
Well the new sensors came and I tried to learn them while sitting inside the car with no luck at all using a portable programer or a magnet.
So if I am getting to the learned portion on the DIC, does that mean all is well on the car? I have no fault codes up but have xxxx for each tire sensor. This is the third set of Titans....hard to believe they all are no good!
Old 09-04-2014, 11:14 PM
Bill Curlee
Tech Contributor

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,180 Likes on 1,583 Posts
CI 6,7,8,9,11 Vet
St. Jude Donor '08

You are NOT going to train your TPS using a PORTABLE PROGRMMER.

You MUST go to the blank page in the DIC, find the TPS Training routine and use the magnet on each sensor/wheel position as the training program tells you to.

They do not need to be in the wheels but you need to mark them for location they are trained to so you can put them in the correct locations.

Quick Reply: New TPMS but still not training?