C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Main Cigarette lighter

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2014, 07:50 PM
weykool
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Main Cigarette lighter

I know this is small and probably petty to some, but I am working through everything top to bottom on my newly purchased 2002 Vette. The main cigarette lighter will not work. I did my research and located the fuse under the floor panel on the passenger side. That 20amp fuse is fine. I pulled it to check it and put it back in and the lighter still won't work. The lighter in the console works just fine but I would like to use the main lighter plug for my Valentine 1. Can anyone suggest where I should check next?
Thanks,
G
Old 08-01-2014, 08:14 PM
65GGvert
Team Owner

Received 3,217 Likes on 2,301 Posts

I'd check that the wire that plugs on to the back of the receptacle is still plugged in. IF it is, I'd measure the voltage on that wire. If it's not there, I'd go back to the fuse box and look for another fuse.
Check fuse 1 and fuse 7. One says cigarette lighter, the other says console cigarette lighter. Don't know which is which.

Last edited by 65GGvert; 08-01-2014 at 08:20 PM.
Old 08-01-2014, 08:36 PM
weykool
Instructor

Originally Posted by 65GGvert
I'd check that the wire that plugs on to the back of the receptacle is still plugged in. IF it is, I'd measure the voltage on that wire. If it's not there, I'd go back to the fuse box and look for another fuse.
Check fuse 1 and fuse 7. One says cigarette lighter, the other says console cigarette lighter. Don't know which is which.
Okay, fuse 1 and 7 are both good, so we have eliminated that possibility. Is there an easy way to get to the back of the lighter wires or will this require removing the console just to get back there?
Old 08-01-2014, 09:18 PM
weykool
Instructor

Originally Posted by weykool
Okay, fuse 1 and 7 are both good, so we have eliminated that possibility. Is there an easy way to get to the back of the lighter wires or will this require removing the console just to get back there?
This is a small thing I am sure. Fuses are good put I have no power to the cigarette lighter for some reason. Is there a simple way to remove or access the back of the cigarette lighter to check the wiring? I don't want to remove a bunch of console parts just for the cigarette lighter.
Thanks,
G
Old 08-01-2014, 09:23 PM
Bill Curlee
Tech Contributor

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,180 Likes on 1,583 Posts
CI 6,7,8,9,11 Vet
St. Jude Donor '08

You have to remove the console. On other way to access it
Old 08-01-2014, 09:32 PM
weykool
Instructor

Originally Posted by Bill Curlee
You have to remove the console. On other way to access it
Can you tell me where to find removal instructions?
Old 08-02-2014, 12:03 AM
K9Leader
Burning Brakes

Received 373 Likes on 181 Posts

Vette Essentials has some good instructions that cover console removal. Here is a link to one of those: http://www.vetteessentials.com/instr...t_install.html

You'll get good at removing the console after you've done it a couple of dozen times. Ask me how I know.

K9Leader
Red cars are faster.

Get notified of new replies

To Main Cigarette lighter

Quick Reply: Main Cigarette lighter