C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How to tell if oil drain hole damaged

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2014, 12:27 AM
dhowdy
Racer

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Default How to tell if oil drain hole damaged

Kind of a stupid question, but I want to be sure before putting everything back together.

A couple months back my dad took my car without my knowledge/permission to a shop to get the oil changed because he was "trying to help me out." I don't like other people touching my car, but I got over it.

Well I just went to change the oil and the plug bolt was torqued on there tight!! I don't know what they were thinking, but I couldn't get it to budge. Eventually got it off with some vice grips, but not before rounding off the plug with wrenches/breaker bar/hammer. I know for sure that I will need a new plug.

The question: How do I ensure there's no damage to the drain pan side wall or plug hole threads?
Old 08-01-2014, 12:33 PM
3sACROWD
Melting Slicks

Received 440 Likes on 324 Posts

Look at the threads on the plug. Are they damaged or have metal galled into the threads? If not, then the hole is ok. The next question is if there was any damage from you banging on the tools with a hammer. If you didn't beat on the pan itself, you're probably fine.

The only thing to do now is replace the plug and torque it properly then monitor for leaks.
Old 08-01-2014, 01:18 PM
4DRUSH
Le Mans Master

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

If you wanta get crazy, drill a little hole through the bolt head & cradle & safety wire it.

Ok, I'll admit I did that
Old 08-01-2014, 11:53 PM
dhowdy
Racer

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Looks like everything is good to go. It appears that GM (or someone else?) put a steel helicoil in the drain hole to idiot proof it. That was the most miserable oil change of my life. All is well now though
Old 08-02-2014, 11:44 PM
jgump
Drifting

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

My 98 has the helicoil

Get notified of new replies

To How to tell if oil drain hole damaged

Quick Reply: How to tell if oil drain hole damaged