C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

DIC issues

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2014, 05:52 PM
Rpetvette
President - COB
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default DIC issues

I have a 1999 coupe with HUD display. The DIC started scrolling randomly through the available options. After a few days it just stopped working all together. The only thing that you can see in the viewing window is the mileage. When you first turn the key it will show “Corvette by Chevrolet” other warnings do come up like “door ajar” and if you turn off the traction control it will beep and display it in the window, but none of the DIC buttons work or none of the options are available. You cannot check to see any of the fuel options or temperature read out. Now I took it to the dealer for diagnoses. They told me it was the actual DIC switch. GM does not make them any longer. So I found a used one that claims it worked and replaced it. Same issue, no improvement at all. I have read several threads about ground issues. So I found the ones in the engine compartment and took them apart and cleaned them and reassembled them, again no improvement. Any help would be much appreciated.
Old 07-31-2014, 09:04 PM
Rpetvette
President - COB
Support Corvetteforum!

Yes the battery is new and charging.
Old 08-01-2014, 08:08 AM
RicardoFors68
Melting Slicks

Received 166 Likes on 153 Posts

Im in the same boat as you are, just got used to not be able to use this feature........
Old 08-01-2014, 09:48 AM
Rpetvette
President - COB
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by RicardoFors68
Im in the same boat as you are, just got used to not be able to use this feature........
The problem is that I love every feature to work on the car and that I will want to sell the car soon. The car is in beautiful shape, very clean and few new cosmetic upgrades and with this important feature not working it is very frustrating. Especially when no one really knows what the root cause is.
Old 08-02-2014, 07:54 AM
dadaroo
Le Mans Master

Received 290 Likes on 226 Posts

I have seen that issue before. It would seem the motherboard in the IPC is bad. It also maintains the mileage so even if you just swap out the board or replace with another IPC you will have to reset mileage either way.

If you need any more help let me know. Here is a link to what this large green board looks like.

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c5-t...post1570380674
Old 08-07-2014, 06:51 PM
Rpetvette
President - COB
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by dadaroo
I have seen that issue before. It would seem the motherboard in the IPC is bad. It also maintains the mileage so even if you just swap out the board or replace with another IPC you will have to reset mileage either way.

If you need any more help let me know. Here is a link to what this large green board looks like.

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c5-t...post1570380674
So I have ordered a brand new never used IPC from a guy in Florida that buys out GM parts at salvage prices. The entire unit was $300.00. So I will update this thread once I install the new one. My new question is how to reset the mileage to reflect the actual mileage?

Last edited by Rpetvette; 08-07-2014 at 06:56 PM.
Old 08-08-2014, 06:47 AM
dadaroo
Le Mans Master

If you have HUD, hope you got a HUD IPC.

Unless you have a Tech II you will need to have a dealer or speedo shop do the mileage.
Old 08-08-2014, 09:22 AM
Rpetvette
President - COB
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by dadaroo
If you have HUD, hope you got a HUD IPC.

Unless you have a Tech II you will need to have a dealer or speedo shop do the mileage.
Yes I made sure that I got the right one.
Old 08-08-2014, 04:39 PM
Tela83
Heel & Toe

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Rpetvette
The problem is that I love every feature to work on the car and that I will want to sell the car soon. The car is in beautiful shape, very clean and few new cosmetic upgrades and with this important feature not working it is very frustrating. Especially when no one really knows what the root cause is.

I'm having the same issue and will have a used cluster to install soon, please advise if you find a "easy" solution to the odometer problem.
Old 08-08-2014, 05:21 PM
dadaroo
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Tela83
I'm having the same issue and will have a used cluster to install soon, please advise if you find a "easy" solution to the odometer problem.
Based on what the IPC issue is, you can swap the large green circuit board and keep your mileage correct if it was not your problem.

If not, the "easy" way is to have someone do it for you or the non-easy way is you do it. Buy a Tech II for several thousand dollars and do it yourself.
Old 08-21-2014, 08:55 AM
Rpetvette
President - COB
Support Corvetteforum!

Well I put the new IPC in and everything is working perfectly. I just have to work on the mileage reset. I will be talking to the dealer today to see if they offer this service. I am sure it has a premium price attached.
Old 08-21-2014, 09:10 AM
RicardoFors68
Melting Slicks

Good news for you, awesome. How hard was it to do it all?
Old 08-21-2014, 09:24 AM
Rpetvette
President - COB
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by RicardoFors68
Good news for you, awesome. How hard was it to do it all?
You know now that I am a pro at it, not that bad at all. I have remove and replaced everything now twice. This time I started at 7am and was testing driving it at noon. There were some breaks in between so about 3.5 hours total.
Old 08-21-2014, 10:20 AM
bjones7131
Safety Car

Received 845 Likes on 592 Posts

Can the mileage be reset with everything intact or should you have the IPC out of the car before installing???????
Old 08-21-2014, 06:21 PM
RicardoFors68
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Rpetvette
You know now that I am a pro at it, not that bad at all. I have remove and replaced everything now twice. This time I started at 7am and was testing driving it at noon. There were some breaks in between so about 3.5 hours total.
Not bad at all, I must admit that this is an unavoidable repair for me as well. I hope I have the same luck you had.

Get notified of new replies

To DIC issues

Quick Reply: DIC issues