C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Intermittent Headlight Opening Problem

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2014, 03:11 AM
striper
Le Mans Master

Received 246 Likes on 215 Posts

Default Intermittent Headlight Opening Problem

A couple of years ago I did the brass gear improvement to my left headlight. Recently when I go to turn on my lights, the same headlight many times will not rise. The right side has continued to work perfectly with no repairs ever. When it doesn't open I open the hood and give the manual **** a couple of turns counterclockwise and it will work again for a while. I don't need to manually open it all the way. Then another time it won't open when called to duty. If I've got the right ground I cleaned it but that hasn't made a difference. I thought maybe I needed a motor, but as I said it does work much of the time. It also seems to squeak when operating but I can't see without removing the assembly where I might need to lubricate it. Has anybody had a similar situation and what was the fix?
Old 07-30-2014, 05:47 AM
UZISOLO
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had the same problem with my passenger side headlight ... after removal of headlight, I found nothing wrong .... but once I removed the motor and removed the cover for the motor found a lot of wear and tear ... cleaned lube just a little reassemble it has worked as if it was brand new. It's not hard at all ... I almost purchase a new motor for nothing.
Old 08-01-2014, 02:30 AM
striper
Le Mans Master

Received 246 Likes on 215 Posts

I didn't think I needed a motor because it will work several times after fiddling with it. I just can't figure out why once it is working it will suddenly decide to not for no apparent reason. Then it will start working again for a while.
Old 08-01-2014, 03:02 AM
reath1
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by uSammyll
Mods, please whack this guy. Spammer from Hell!
Old 08-01-2014, 04:58 PM
jakecol
Racer

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

Any ideas as to why both head lights will no come up on my 98 FRC? Fuses are O.K.

Get notified of new replies

To Intermittent Headlight Opening Problem

Quick Reply: Intermittent Headlight Opening Problem