C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

'02 Z06: Frustrating Intermittent Starting Problems

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2014, 07:48 PM
Chicago1
Race Director

Received 321 Likes on 208 Posts

Originally Posted by whippit
Roger that. I was inferring that despite the prospect of a PITA project, replacing the starter now hopefully accomplishes two things: it resolves this frustrating no-crank business and given that I will replace the problem unit with the design that requires two long bolts, I can breathe easier that I've saved myself from the broken block fiasco.
Think you already know from your post but yes they have a redesigned starter with a longer bolt. Just in case anyone else didn't know

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c5-t...the-block.html
Old 08-19-2014, 07:49 PM
Chicago1
Race Director

Received 321 Likes on 208 Posts

Originally Posted by Carcrisis
For everyone's information,

I too am experiencing this similar problem. Just wanted to add another symptom. When I turn the ignition switch, nothing happens except a humming sound which I believe is the electric fuel pump. After pushing the car backwards to load it up on a flatbed, then trying to start it again just for grins, it started right up. Also, could moisture on the ignition key cause a problem with sensing the chip in the key?

Carcrisis
I would start a new thread so you get more responses and it doesn't get lost in this thread.
Old 08-21-2014, 08:44 AM
Carcrisis
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Thread

Originally Posted by Chicago1
I would start a new thread so you get more responses and it doesn't get lost in this thread.
Chicago1,

Thanks for the advice, I'm a little new here.

Carcrisis
Old 08-21-2014, 08:51 AM
Carcrisis
Instructor

Default New Thread

Originally Posted by 8VETTE7
Don't hi jack someone elses thread. No harm in having your specific problem have its own thread. That way your exact symptoms can be associated with your problem.

I also suggest that you pull and post any codes that your car has stored in your new thread..

Here is how to pull and post codes:

OR

http://www.c5forum.com/ayc/dtcdic.php

Post ALL your codes including the H or C or HC that follows each 5 character code. If you have any Unnnn codes then list the sensor under which the Unnnn code appears. For example 28-TCS U1016.

The same Unnnn codes can appear under multiple sensors and it is helpful to know which sensor the Unnnn code is associated with.
Hello 8VETTE7,

Advice taken, thanks for the great info on capturing codes.

Carcrisis
Old 08-22-2014, 09:00 PM
CalixEros
Instructor

Originally Posted by Bill Curlee
The schematic that lionelhutz provided is the KEY to solving your issue.

The THEFT DETERRENT RELAY is the heart of the cranking sequence. There are two sides of the relay. The CONTROL side and the power output side.

That relay is in the passengers foot well above the BCM on the fire wall. The relay will have FOUR wires.

First check all THREE fuses located in the I/P Fuse box #51, #52 and # 14

When you have all the safety circuits completed and the key in CRANK/START you apply 12 VDC to the control side of the relay. The BCM ground the Yellow/black wire when all of the security requirements are met.

When the control side gets energized it allows the 60 AMP 12 VDC power to go to the starter SOLENOID and the starter will run and crank the engine.

Things to check:

FUSES!
Main connections on the starter solenoid (Clean/ tight and not damaged)
Battery connections clean and tight. Battery terminal torque 97-2003 C5 torque to = 11 ft/lbs
Theft Deterrent Relay bad?

Is the SECURITY light on the IPC extinguished when you have the ignition ON?? If the security light isn’t out, you can’t crank the engine.

The resistor pellet on the key (VATS) needs to be read by the BCM to extinguish that light.

Bill
To expand on what Bill said, you should hear a single click of the theft deterrent relay from in front of the passenger seat when you turn the key. I can't tell from the video whether or not you can hear this. If you can't, the problem is most likely the relay or something before the relay. If you can hear it, the problem is after the relay, most likely the starter, solenoid, or wiring. I tried to trace my problem but eventually got lazy and just pulled the starter. I had it tested and it was good. I noticed that the wiring was looking a little old and corroded, so I cleaned every power and ground connection going to the starter and the ground connection to the block. Since then, I have had no problems.

If no single click when turning the key on a no-start condition, I would start with testing the relay like Bill mentioned. Anything else on this side I wouldn't know much about.

If there is a click, I'd start with tapping the solenoid. Checking the starter, battery, and ground are not that difficult. Search for some old threads regarding each of these.
Old 08-23-2014, 11:57 PM
ubiquitus
Instructor

I also had this issue for about 6 month of intermittent starting, and it all was fixed with a new starter. Good luck!
Old 08-30-2014, 03:57 PM
whippit
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by whippit

Tomorrow, I'll begin the process of removing the starter. I have long-tube headers, so I'm not looking forward to this.
23 days later and the new starter is installed and everything reattached/connected. Fired right up and no codes. FWIW, the starter I removed was the redesigned type with two long bolts. That starter was installed back in 2006 when I had my cam done. Either the mechanic knew then there was a problem with the OEM design or he just got lucky when he ordered the replacement part.

We haven't heard from neckhole, the original poster, have we? I suspect I hijacked his thread and I didn't mean to do that.

If anyone is curious what I had to go thru with this project, just PM me.

Quick Reply: '02 Z06: Frustrating Intermittent Starting Problems