C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

4L60 to T56

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2014, 06:38 PM
jodyjo
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default 4L60 to T56

I'm trying to come up with a parts list, but maybe you guys will know if I'm missing something. So far I have:

Transmission
Driveshaft
Torque tube
Pedal assembly
Shifter
Computer from a manual car
Clutch

What else am I missing?
Old 07-29-2014, 10:33 AM
kalayaan12
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

I did the auto to manual transmission swap two summers ago, one of the easier ways to do it is to buy everything straight out from a wrecked manual shift vehicle so you're not chasing parts all over the place.

What you'll need:

- Transmission
- Bellhousing (two-piece manual version)
- Flywheel / pressure plate / clutch disk (you might want to buy these new altogether)
- Throwout bearing
- Pilot bearing
- Torque tube assy
- Shifter
- Clutch master cylinder / slave cylinder
- Clutch and brake pedal (you do not need the whole assembly, you can remove old auto brake pedal by itself and install the narrower manual brake pedal and clutch pedal without having to yank everything out!)
- Transmission wiring harness (this absolutely MUST be from a manual version of your car - same year, and same options such as F45, etc.)
- Keep your original computer in vehicle and have a local tuner re-flash it using the profile from a manual version of your car. Note: The car will start and run without any reprogramming done, however idle will be different and the "Check Engine" light will always stay on.
- Differential (if you are considering something like a 3.90 or 4.10 do it while you have the new transmission out of the vehicle!)

- You will install the torque tube, transmission and differential as an assembly.
- The exhaust and tunnel cover have to be removed. Lowering the rear suspension cradle takes some caution to avoid kinking brake lines or severing wires. You do not have to disconnect brake lines to do this!
- You'll have to cut a hole in the firewall for the clutch pedal rod to go through, however there's already a dimple molded into the fiberglass that tells you where the hole centerline is.
- Torquing the pressure plate bolts in the proper sequence is a challenge since the engine wants to rotate - you need to figure out how to stop it from spinning.
- The clutch switch is another challenge - you can use a "jumper" between the connector pins (not recommended) or run two wires to the clutch switch. You'll have to do something - with the circuit open, the car won't start!
- Bleeding the clutch system is a huge headache. If you're considering installing a remove bleeder tube, now's the time to do it!
- Your speedometer doesn't need to be reprogrammed if you change to a 3.90 or 4.10 (or any) differential.

- You'll have a blast once you're finished, and it'll feel like you're driving a whole different car!

Jeff
Old 07-29-2014, 10:42 AM
jodyjo
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thank you for the help!
Old 08-01-2014, 04:59 PM
HardcoreABN
Drifting

Received 76 Likes on 61 Posts

what year is yours? I have been contemplating swapping my built T56 out for an auto....
Old 10-27-2020, 02:19 PM
tomdepas1
Navigator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Looking for aluminum flywheel

Looking for aluminum flywheel to put on 1995 LT1. Next spring it will be LT4 hotcam. Car has 11,800 miles on it. Bought it from my Dad.
Do you still have the aluminum flywheel? With approx. 400 HP do you think I would need more than a new OEM clutch kit?
Thanks, Tom
Old 10-27-2020, 02:56 PM
F1Fan
Drifting

Received 87 Likes on 61 Posts

Stock clutch can handle 400hp, I had an aluminum flywheel on my built C4, I won't do one again, taking off from 1st wasn't fun

Get notified of new replies

To 4L60 to T56

Quick Reply: 4L60 to T56