C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Can't power brake - car sputters

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2014, 05:06 PM
94legaleagle
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Can't power brake - car sputters

1st, long time since I've posted, so hello to all former friends / sources of info!! Still have the car, just don't hang out here much anymore.

2nd - not sure if this is a tech or scan / tune question, so here goes:

As my signature says, I've pretty much done everything short of nitros / forced induction to my car . . . LG3 cam, AFR heads, etc - also have auto tranny w/ 3.73 gears and a Yank SS3200 stall converter - Car's been dynoed by DRM at 400 rwhp -

qualifying statement - I've got some exhaust air flow sensor codes that go off, so I know I have some exhaust sensors that need replacing - not sure if that is the cause of my problem or not - also, the traction control donut at the base of the steering wheel apparently needs replacing also as that code is showing . . .

anyway, the problem that occurs - w/ the 3200 stall, I should be able to "power brake" and hold the car while reving the car to 3200 RPMs, then let off the brake at 3200 rpms and launch the car - but, if I step on the brake and apply gas, it will rev to 1800 - 2000 rpm, then it sputters (d/n really pop), but stutters and rpms drop off till I let off the gas - I can NOT hold brake and get rpms past 1800 - 2000 rpms

BUT, if I'm just driving along, say 3 - 5 mph and stomp on the gas, the car reacts as it should (wheels break LOOSE!!) - the problem doesn't seem to happen unless I power brake it the way you would if you were running at the track - normal driving and stomp on it and no sputtering, no hesitation, etc

hope this makes sense

any ideas? and THANKS in advance!!
Old 07-28-2014, 05:52 PM
04tripleblkcoupe
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Well when I had the LS1 with a 3200 stall mine would do the same thing and with my 408 with a 4000 stall it does the same. Not like carb cars and foot braking.

Just found this http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c5-s...-disabled.html

Last edited by 04tripleblkcoupe; 07-28-2014 at 06:02 PM.
Old 07-28-2014, 06:40 PM
94legaleagle
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by 04tripleblkcoupe
Well when I had the LS1 with a 3200 stall mine would do the same thing and with my 408 with a 4000 stall it does the same. Not like carb cars and foot braking.

Just found this http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c5-s...-disabled.html
Well, I THOUGHT I used to be able to "power brake" it to at least 3000 rpm w/o this occurring??? Maybe I don't remember things right in my old age??
Old 07-28-2014, 07:06 PM
RedZMonte
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Sounds like "Torque Management" in the ECU is activating.. is the car tuned and has the torque management been adjusted? the OEM tune has basically a safety built into it so you can abuse the transmission as much. Also do you have your Stability control/Traction control disabled?

Im not a fan of power braking because it is so hard on the transmissions anyhow... lol not to say i havnt done a few in my day.. My Turbo Z34 had a 3200RPM stall an when the turbo would spool it would force the stall up to about 4500-4800RPMS... Ohhh Mamma she would get after it from a dig! only did that 1 or 2 times, didnt want to tear it up.

I would also post the codes reported causing the CEL.

S

Last edited by RedZMonte; 07-28-2014 at 07:11 PM.
Old 07-29-2014, 10:23 AM
94legaleagle
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by RedZMonte
Sounds like "Torque Management" in the ECU is activating.. is the car tuned and has the torque management been adjusted? the OEM tune has basically a safety built into it so you can abuse the transmission as much. Also do you have your Stability control/Traction control disabled?

Im not a fan of power braking because it is so hard on the transmissions anyhow... lol not to say i havnt done a few in my day.. My Turbo Z34 had a 3200RPM stall an when the turbo would spool it would force the stall up to about 4500-4800RPMS... Ohhh Mamma she would get after it from a dig! only did that 1 or 2 times, didnt want to tear it up.

I would also post the codes reported causing the CEL.

S
Thanks for the info - yes, the car has been tuned, but I'm not sure whether the torque management was adjusted - I would assume it was.

I'm guessing it is the Stability Control / Traction Control you mention - again, I'm getting the code which essentially means the donut sensor at the base of the steering wheel needs replacing . . . that code is resulting in my traction control button on the armrest counsel NOT working (light is always on, and the "sqiggly tires" / orange caution light on the speedo is ON) -

PERHAPS?? if I replace the donut the problem would go away . . .

MIGHT be a winter project, but I've been waiting to replace the donut because I need to pull the dash to replace the A/C actuator and when I do all that I'm going to install a 300 MPH speedo . . . but before I install the 300 MPH speedo, I need to have all the guages reading in US, not metric if that makes sense

Get notified of new replies

To Can't power brake - car sputters

Quick Reply: Can't power brake - car sputters