C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Replacing wheel studs

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2014, 11:39 AM
dbaker
Melting Slicks

Received 263 Likes on 179 Posts

Default Replacing wheel studs

Looking to replace the wheel studs on my 02Z...got one that's stripped ,so may as well do all.

Want the standard length so I can use acorn nuts for my DD driver..Any supplier recommendations?

I'm leaning toward Dorman parts...they seems to make good stuff.

Tks
\db2
carolina
Old 07-28-2014, 06:43 PM
Big_George_S
Racer

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

I had one break went to the local Auto Parts stores and only found junk. Ended up going to the Stealer who actually had to order them.

Unlike most cars that I've had to do this on there is not hole in back to allow you to drive out and replace the stud you need to disassemble the whole assembly dropping the A-arms. PIA!!! the other thing that no body seems to mention is that you only need either a 7 or 10 allen key to hold the spindle to release the nut. I ordered some special tool GM called for and now don't even know where it is. I won't even sell it as it is a waste of money for anyone.

Good luck. The good news is once you have done it you will know how to do it again.
Old 07-28-2014, 07:02 PM
RedZMonte
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I have used Dorman studs in the past without any problems. If you are running spacers or something then you should consider a higher end stud. If the hub is off then press them in... I have also used a nut and some spacers to "Pull it in" to the hub but not the best way to do it... alot of pulling on the stud.

S
Old 07-29-2014, 02:14 AM
YELLO C5
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You shouldn't need to remove the hub to replace a stock lengthed stud. I've broken a couple at the track and didn't need to do that. If I ever replace a hub again I'll probably replace them with ARP and either cut them down or get longer nuts.
Old 07-29-2014, 11:07 AM
JoeyG
Safety Car

Received 84 Likes on 76 Posts
Cruise-In III Veteran
Cruise-In IV Veteran

I use the Doug Ripple 1" longer wheel studs front/rear. No need to disassemble the hub from the spindle as I got all 4 corners done on my car just lining the stud up with the small accessible slot. I think I did need to unfold the front upper A-frame from the frame for better working access though.

Get notified of new replies

To Replacing wheel studs

Quick Reply: Replacing wheel studs