C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

camaro ls1 into c5

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2014, 06:30 PM
tunesport
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default camaro ls1 into c5

My local yard has plenty of f-body ls1 engines question is, after swapping my pan and accessory drive. Can I make it work in my 98 vette?
Old 07-27-2014, 07:05 PM
NukeC5
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by tunesport
My local yard has plenty of f-body ls1 engines question is, after swapping my pan and accessory drive. Can I make it work in my 98 vette?
Ya you should have everything you need to make it work. Just swap over what's needed. I know the engines have some cam differences. So maybe a little tuning is needed. But I see no reason why it wouldn't work.
Old 07-28-2014, 07:05 PM
tunesport
Intermediate

My local yard has a 70k camaro ls1 longblock for 1200 bucks. Im thinking i can swap it in with some LTs and light bolt ons with a tune and i can skate by. I would rebuild mine, but since the crank is unserviceable and I have a bountiful amount of metal shavings inside, a yard engine will be considerably less costly and I can fit some mods into my budget. Im not overly concerned with performance, this is more of a budget build. Even with some light mods I can get away with spending under 9k on my c5!
Old 07-31-2014, 11:52 PM
tunesport
Intermediate

Updated: I now have the engine in my possession. It is from a 2000 camaro ss. I got with it the wiring harness and pcm. My question now is, can I use the camaro pcm to run the engine in my car? I have read a little bit about the advantages of swapping to a 99+ computer for tuning puropses but its unclear if i can use an f body pcm in a c5. Anyone know if its been done or can be done? I dont want to lose functionality of my diagnostic buttons so worse case is to swap the engine and use the 98 electronics with a tune. Im just thinking for ease and possible future benefit if I do end up modifying the car if i can get away with swapping in the newer pcm now and skipping the tune until its worth my time and money
Old 08-01-2014, 08:40 PM
C5 Pete
AMP Racing
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 466 Likes on 352 Posts
2023 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2017 C5 of Year Finalist
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11-'12

I do not believe you can use the PCM from the f body for your C5. I believe the f body has a separate trans controller.

I could certainly be wrong. Check with a tuner.
Old 08-01-2014, 10:15 PM
martysauto
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14

PCM controls the trans in both cars. The cam parts numbers are different. If you are going to have it tuned, why not change the cam before you install the engine?
Old 08-02-2014, 01:53 AM
tunesport
Intermediate

I dont plan on having a real dyno tune done. Just a benchtop reprogram to make it work if possible. For now im just swapping in stock for stock to get it running. I plan to port the 806s from the core engine that came in the car and install a cam when I eventually build a new short block. But thats going to be years in the making if i do just a little bit here and there. Then I will do a real tune. My objective for the time being is to just get it driving and worry about performance later. I have been in contact with a tuner and it looks like the avenue I will be taking is to repin the 98 harness for the 00 pcm. Then send him my 00 pcm and make it work with my vehicle. Then when I add performance im already set up with the better pcm. I will have the corvette harness out of the car tomorrow and do the repin tomorrow night.

Get notified of new replies

To camaro ls1 into c5

Quick Reply: camaro ls1 into c5